Cardinal Health

Cardinal Health Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Cardinal Health Chairman & CEO George S. Barrett

George S. Barrett

Pros:
  • "Good work-life balance and supportive of community causes"
    in 30 reviews
  • "Good benefits, clean work environment, strong Management Team"
    in 31 reviews
Cons:
  • "While encouraged, there will be times when work-life balance is not very balanced"
    in 20 reviews
  • "poor work-life balance, long hours, management is ever-changing, lots of turnover"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

All work, No Pay

ProsYou may see this as a pro - Very little management involvement with the sales force which means free time.

ConsNo Pay - No Growth - incorrect sales tracking - Poor Employee Attitude - Bad Customer Opinions

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelope a pay structure that rewards sales representatives for their hard work. The current pay structure is well below industry standards. For a Diagnostic Specialist for example to be at plan and on schedule to make less than $100,000 per year is an injustice. For a sales rep to work night and day fixing company mistakes instead of selling and growing business and not make $100,000 per year is a joke. If your goal is to hire employees who work themselves to the bone and not pay them, you are doing a great job.

Yearly Salary fo a Sales Rep between $50,000 and $65,000 per year is below industry standards.
    Yearly Salary for a Diagnostic Specialist at $70,000 is well below industry standards.

My advise would be to stay away from Cardinal unless you are right out of college or un-employeed.

Need some clean up of supervision. Need to look at new people

Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Waukegan, IL

Proswork independent with no leadership

ConsYou get no help when needed

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp you people

Not for minorities working Cardinal Health's Presource division

Sales Operation Representative (Former Employee)
    Waukegan, IL

ProsBig company that provides a sense of job security

Cons*Everyone is pretty much set in their ways so change is very, very, very difficult - if not impossible.
    *There's a culture of protecting yourself against your own colleagues, and sadly I am glad I did because someone tried to get me fired my fidgeting with my reports and her manager just asked me to let it go as if it didn't happened!
    *If you're a minority and you get the wrong manager - beware, you may be on your way out the door. I got promoted (from production planning to Sales Support), which was the worst move I've ever taken due to the manager - the reason I quit within a few months of the promotion. I was not the first, nor the last employee under this manager who's a minority that quit - two others followed after me.
    *There is no sense of camaraderie or any level of synergy in Presource. Everyone is in their own clicks and each division run like silos, independent of each other.

Advice to Senior Management*Change of culture that one can be proud of working for is much needed, especially for such a large organization
    *Value talent. Nurture and develop talent, and not make cost cutting the only priority. I have seen people get promoted based on face value, and not on merits. That is why I am not surprised that they have lost talented individuals and those who are still there, they are not productive and do not care about their jobs because they are not paid what they are actually worth in the marketplace and the culture of not being valued tremendously lowers their motivation

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

the place so far

Warehouse Associate (Current Employee)
    Peabody, MA

ProsThe benefits is good. There will always be an opening because people keep on quitting or getting fired.

ConsManagement hides in their offices and wonders why things goes wrong. Speaking and telling them what the issue is also makes you a target(unless they favor you then you can get away with anything). Pay raises are horrible, it goes by how long you've worked there and if they like you or not. The longer you work there the less you get so by the time a new employee is hire, they're probably making the same amount as you. Hr doesn't seem to be for the employees they just do what management tells them. Don't look for a career if you only have a high school diploma because the farthest you'll probably get is picking and packing because the management team told me in order to become a team leader one would need more schooling or a degree. They also work you like cattles and still expect more. This is more of a "if you need the money then work here for awhile" type of job.
    You can't get to enthusiastic about the job because they'll eventually break your spirit.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust is a big issue within the company. Better pay raises. Make sure than when an employee tells the truth that they don't get any reprisal from the management team. Management doesn't seem to have respect for their employees.

stressful company, Lack of leadership down right nasty management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIts a job that will pay some of the bills.

ConsNo clear direction from management. Low pay even lower moral with employee's. Managements only concern is production output. Forget about being safe don't produce enough receive write ups.even if your production is 105% of normal. while others are promoted for 45% of normal.
    Dir-ops. Back stabbing little weasel. Who hides his true self from all.
    Operations manager. As long as he in not impacted he does not care.
    Night manager. will do pushup for staff if marks made. Other than that has no direction.
    Night supervisors. A. sexual harassment constant. forget HR they do not care.
    B. Unable to find his behind with both hands. Unable to tell right from left. Seriously.
    C. What way did he go.
    Day manager. Nice but watch you back as she twist the knife.
    Day Supervisor. Nasty as all. Will deliberately instruct you incorrectly and discipline you for following her directions. This company went from 3 termination a year to over 100 in three years.
    Don't even get me started on the so called leads.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employee's. they are threatened, harassed and put down daily. start following company and state employment policies and or codes. Stop the threats of termination or so called disciplinary actions for those employee's who bring up employment violations.

Poor management/leadership and no strategic direction"

Manager (Former Employee)
    Dublin, OH

Pros"benefits" such as health care, vision, dental; Java City, nice cafeteria, full gym onsite, many conference room options.

ConsLow pay scale, and difficult to increase once internal employee
    HR backs management and not employee; even with written documentation.
    Reorganizes structure every year-difficult to master changing positions/new strategies (if they are known)--also equals position eliminations annually
    No strategy or MBOs filtered down per year so difficult to perform job duties
    Poor management skills in management and senior leadership
    Leadership "cliques" that if you are not a part of, forget it--too much of 'kissing" up
    Speaking up on why disagree even about something minor = fired.
    Medical and pharmaceutical sides are treated as seperate companies when customer sees them as one.
    Lots of turnover as employees get frustrated and leave

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees need to be aware to think across all segments of CAH not just M or P
    Listen to employee concerns and consider that it may be the truth-don't automatically dismiss
    Know that employees don't respect you as you may think, because you are why their job is frustrating and why they can't perform to their own standards as they want.
    Include employees on more information instead of keeping all "high-level"

disastrous

Aurora, IL

ProsThe health benefits were great. The facility and equipment was well maintained by the guy who was working there in 2007 / 2008, but he left suddenly. Since then, it wasn't as good.

ConsTerrible local middle management. Several had very poor attitudes toward subordinates and peers. Self-serving and manipulative behaviors ruled the day and go unchecked by the guy in charge.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management is that you should learn to do yourself as you say you'd want others to behave. "Walk the Talk!"

Doing the job of 3 people -- absolutely no work/life balance

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

Proscompensation, flexibility with PTO -- no advance notice required

Consworst health insurance i have ever experienced---i pay 10,500 in payck deductions per year for my family!! that's before the deductible and out of pocket are met. very "old boy" network and big on favoritism --- which will get you a better position. once you are seen as "not supporting Cardinal Health" because you relay customer feedback on their lousy software that you're supposed to sell to customers anyway, they will force you out. expect you to do the job of a full time marketing analyst, as well as cover a very large territory and then nail you for not being in the field making 7 calls a day. no such thing as work/life balance. very nonsupportive management that keeps giving you the same "to do" list after you've done it, over and over again. gives you a 2 on a 5 scale because no one made their goal because they did not have the product to sell -- but you take the financial fall for it. high priced pharmaceuticals that are at least 15% over the market value -- all of which goes into managements' pockets. but please, "sell the value of cardinal health" when we no longer can differentiate ourselves from competitors, except as the high price leader -- what value is that, exactly?

Advice to Senior Managementthere is a competitive market out there that is ONLY about the price. they don't care about the value of CAH any longer, just the PRICE! how much business do we have to lose for you to finally lower your pricing?

Most toxic workplace environment I've ever experienced - I'm looking for another employer.

Senior R&D Scientist (Current Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

ProsAbove avergae compensation and excellent benefits.

ConsCo-worker backstabbing and brown-nosing to get ahead. Managers favor their “pets” and shift blame to scapegoats. Management pets have free rein to bully others. HR protects management, believing whatever the manager tells them . Employees afraid of being fired as a scapegoat, with no recourse.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate HR needs to investigate the Center for the Advancement of Molecular Imaging. But until the group starts imploding, I doubt aything will happen.

Not a place to pursue a career

ProsCardinal Health offers a good benefit package as far as paid time off , and a decent health, dental and vision.

ConsSome of the cons to working for Cardinal Health are including but not limited too, lousy pay raises,hard to get promoted,too many changes to procedures without proper comunication and/or training. most importantly lower then industry starting wages

Worked for Cardinal Health? Contribute to the Community!

Cardinal Health Videos

Cardinal Health – Why Work for Us?

Cardinal Health, Inc. is a Fortune 19 company that improves the cost-effectiveness of healthcare. As the business behind healthcare, Cardinal Health helps pharmacies, hospitals and ambulatory care sites focus on patient… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cardinal Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cardinal Health CEO George S. Barrett. All 420 reviews posted anonymously by Cardinal Health employees.