Cardinal Health

Updated December 20, 2014
3.2

Cardinal Health Chairman & CEO George S. Barrett
George S. Barrett

Pros
  • Work-life balance is very fair, excellent people in the finance organization (in 36 reviews)

• good pay if you get what you ask for, good benefits, pto time off (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • While encouraged, there will be times when work-life balance is not very balanced (in 22 reviews)

• poor work-life balance, long hours, management is ever-changing, lots of turnover (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Going in wrong directions.

Current Employee - Nuclear Pharmacist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Nuclear Pharmacist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cardinal Health as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's nuclear pharmacy, so no third party insurance, controlled substances or irate customers.

Cons

Company is contracting it's nuclear pharmacy operations including the elimination of educational programs and out sourcing office functions. Cost cutting is extreme and even our drivers had to give back the Cardinal Health shirts they wear. I don't know how the company is going to get it's money back on that one. The manager's non-pharmacist friends make cognitive pharmacy decisions and policy in contradiction to Board of Pharmacy regulations concerning pharmacist's controlling their environment.

We have a non-pharmacist manager and the manager's non-pharmacist inner circle make all the decisions and carry more weight than pharmacists on pharmacy decisions. A member of the inner circle could not get into pharmacy school but is relied upon by the manager for pharmacy opinions and decisions more so than the pharmacists. This conflicts with State Board about pharmacists having control of their environment.

supervisor creates hostile work environment; out to get attitude; not cooperative

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Solon, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Solon, OH

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

company as a whole is very good

Cons

supervisors have no supervision from corporate, make their own policies, use racially discriminatory language. due to bad job market, everyone is afraid to speak out.

make sure that the supervisors are applying company policies, not their own.

Midwest Views and Chaotic Management

Current Employee - Director in Waukegan, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Waukegan, IL

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very few pros that i can think of. Ah, tremendously slooooooowwww pace and therefore lots of "quality of life" or otherwise known as lazy pace? Yes, things move very slow at Cardinal with the exception of the constant organizational restructuring which really has no benefit for anyone.

Cons

Very little diversity in management. Mostly white males or the "new" initiative white females. Current "diversity initiatives" do not focus on bringing in or promoting minorities to equal levels of management throughout the business.

Career path is pretty non-existent. People are promoted so they can get higher pay levels (which tend to be lower than the industry average), when they really don't deserve the title change or promotion. So there are a tremendous amount os "Sr" this and that, and VP's with very little experience to justify their position.

There is also a tremendous amount of internal nepotism. People get promoted via "relationships" and not really through critical performance. This is very demotivating. Many of the people who actually have talent tend to leave as soon as they discover the "culture" at Cardinal.

If you are an ethnic minority, i highly recumbent that you reconsider your interest in this corporation. They have a tremendously long way to go to be competitive in many ways, from compensation to inclusion. Many minorities that join Cardinal simply leave due to the lack of opportunities available for them to grow and be fostered.

Mix the gene pool a little more. There is too much inbreeding and lack diversity both in leadership and employee composition. Focusing only on (white) women's initiatives solely does not provide the broader equity that continues to be lacking in the general population at Cardinal.

different

Former Employee - Pick, Pack & Stage in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Pick, Pack & Stage in Houston, TX

I worked at Cardinal Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good pay if you get what you ask for, good benefits, pto time off

Cons

work all holidays, long hours, mandatory overtime, lots of turnover from employees to management, best jobs are inbound jobs

just keep trying

potentially good employer, but poor management style

I have been working at Cardinal Health

Pros

opportunity for organic growth for employees who are willing to stay with the company

Cons

people doing the same thing for years and have refused to learn new techniques for efficiency

value and develop your people... cheap labor has its consequences down the road

Worst career move I had ever made!

I worked at Cardinal Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

To be honest, I have a hard time finding pros in this company. My experience was horrible and so were those around me. I was worried bout leaving after less than a year but was lucky enough to get a way better opportunity to save me from this misery.

Cons

- Within my first 6 months, three senior leaders that were recruited from the outside were gone. Who got promoted? The people that lack innovation but drink the kool-aid...the people that have been with Cardinal for 20+ years and you know they wouldn't survive anywhere else. They moved up in the organization by kissing the tail of executives and intimidating their team members.
    - HR is useless. Management is manipulative, disrespectful, and very "blue-collar"
    -Unethical business practices
    - Several instances where I feel like I experienced HR violations but HR was not very reliable.

In order to fulfill the concept of "Innovative Delivery Solutions", you need leaders that are innovative. Ones that can create and embrace a culture to change status quo in the company. Senior management needs to learn how to manage by other means besides intimidation. I have worked for other Fortune 500 companies and these "Cardinal-bred" leaders would not survive in any other organization.

Great benefits, but everyone is expendable - no job security at all

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Radcliff, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Radcliff, KY

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great benefits, a lot of great co-workers, lots of room for advancement

Cons

Lots of room for advancement, but they are good a promoting, and then doing away with that job within a few months- leaving you high and dry. About every 6 months, they clean house and go on a firing spree, and the higher your salary, the more likely it is you. within 2 weeks, my manager, my supervisor, and 2 other supervisors in our area were all fired, seems to me if there was that much of a problem with senior leadership, then maybe it is their boss that needs to go.

Train your leadership team. Fix that dump of a computer system that does not work. Quit constantly changing all of the processes, get it right, an make sure it is right, instead of changing it, then having to change it 15 more times to get it right.

Horrible

Former Employee - Training Function in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Training Function in Dublin, OH

I worked at Cardinal Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good life-work balance. Location was a plus for me. Benefits were okay. Other than that, it was a horrible experience.

Cons

Pay is abysmal. They are paying $10-20k less than other companies for the same job. And for a company that size, it's ridiculous. They clearly cater to the just-out-of-college group. Lots of age discrimination going on. Lots of layoffs.

HR should respond when the ADA is violated.

Proceed With Caution

Current Employee - Advisor in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Advisor in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Being tied to the healthcare industry, there is a certain amount of stability with this company as opposed to other industries that are much more vulnerable to economic contractions. That being said, the dramatically changing landscape in healthcare can offer some challenges, but for the most part provides opportunity for Cardinal Health to become/remain a key player and find ways to add value.

Cons

Large organization that offers all the downside of corporate America. Bureaucracy, internal politics, political correctness, sycophants, and in general policies that supersede and ignore common sense. Just one big, lost in the shuffle, dehumanizing experience.

company review

Current Employee - Associate in Vaughan, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Associate in Vaughan, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

benefits plan is good, nice office environment,

Cons

poor management, high turnover, HR department has the highest turnover,

need respect and value your employees

Cardinal Health Photos