Cardinal Health

Cardinal Health Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Cardinal Health Chairman & CEO George S. Barrett

George S. Barrett

Pros
  • Good work-life balance and supportive of community causes (in 31 reviews)

• Good benefits, clean work environment, strong Management Team (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • While encouraged, there will be times when work-life balance is not very balanced (in 20 reviews)

• poor work-life balance, long hours, management is ever-changing, lots of turnover (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

I worked for Cardinal Health for almost 4 years.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI had a fantastic team and genuinely enjoyed the actual work.

ConsThere were bullies in the office that were never addressed; we had proof of certain people in upper management intentionally sabotage lower level employees they did not like and HR did absolutely nothing about it; I was expected to act in a manager role for 2 years (conducted interviews, wrote goals, performed the evaluations of department, etc.) without the proper job title or salary increase; at least 7 people were given secret promotions while the rest of our division was told there was a freeze on all hiring and promotions; One employee had health issues, but was out of PTO, when she needed surgery her boss told her she could not take any time off, so the next day she came into the office and ending up passing out and we had to call an ambulance - again HR did absolutely nothing. I could go on...

Advice to Senior ManagementHire qualified candidates instead of your friends.

Great Stepping Stone

Advocate (Current Employee) Dublin, OH

ProsGood place to start out and learn the industry but move on....

ConsToxic workload and work-life balance is way off..

Advice to Senior ManagementFunny how the critical skill needed is communication yet management is the worst on communicating anything...

Cardinal Health is a joke!!

Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThere was adequate training, but the opportunities were slim.

ConsLots and lots of overtime without getting paid! Temps are everywhere and they do not like or trust leadership. This place can ruin your career. Very unappreciative people.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate employees. No bonuses and no career advice. No assistance with other people. No directives. Nothing!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No longer the Cardinal of early days. No personal touch, no care for employees. Very sad!

IT Project Manager (Former Employee) Dublin, OH

ProsIf you want to learn, you will. Trial by fire.

ConsTop-heavy leadership has replaced the strong leadership I saw in 2005. In my first few meetings on projects, key/strong leadership were advising they'd turned in notice. Take note, high turnover. Be prepared for evidence of this when being unsure who you need to keep happy. You will not get a consistent answer. I have 8 years experience in the field I'm in now, and was so excited to come back. What I came back to was a different company led by a good old boys club, and not the morally decent leadership I remember.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst, level out management. A middle manager shouldn't have a team of 40+. They need time to ramp up employees, and coach their team. Upper management should likewise coach that level to decrease turnover. You're pulling in the right people, but cannot retain them because you're not coaching middle management or not giving them appropriate workload. This trickles down to new folks you bring in, and you lose them too. Bottom line, you're impacting you're customers and not compensating for it. Case in point, loss of Walgreens account this year.

Cardinal is penny wise and pound foolish

IT Manager (Former Employee) Dublin, OH

ProsMost of the non-management staff seems interested in doing the right. A few managers/directors also fall into this category.

ConsManagement continues to focus in on the wrong things; morale is the lowest I have seen. Continue to be pushed to focus on non-value add work that limits the teams ability to get the work done. After 20 departures, work is piling up and management is blaming people for not getting work done. Rumors of more layoffs just makes matters worst.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-orgs don't solve problems.

Horrible pay to deal with a lot of BS and mistakes

Sales (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGood place to start your career..get in, get out.

ConsCardinal is one of the worst places to work in regards to pay. I started interview for lateral positions at other companies and realized I was significantly underpaid.. Some positions were offering double what I made. If you start at cardinal you better have a high salary, because no matter what you do from there..it won't increase. From what I can tell, knowing people across segments and departments..it's the same. As far as the positions itself.. Stay away from the med side..it's a complete disaster since their system "upgrade". They are barely holding their heads above water..and you'll hear it from the customers..or what's left. They also keep doing lay offs and lowering the base pay...not good signs. As far as management..If your ok with working for someone who is completely two faced..the Dallas office is for you! They lie.. Often..anything for their benefit. So don't be fooled. It appears there are also no morals, policies, or ethics. Whatever goes..sleeping with a customer, employee, or helping someone pass a drug test. I mean its all family...literally..if you aren't related to someone in the Dallas office..good luck. Everyone is related or sleeping together..it's extremely unprofessional and inappropriate. And if you are related o someone you've got it made..easy account.. Free time..living it up. Don't get me wrong, it's a great place to learn the healthcare industry but anyone in their right mind will not make a career there. And the opportunities to grow are minimal..so get in early, then leave for double the salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit hiring your children, have some class..stop sleeping with the customer to gain business...

Challenging, need thick skin!

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsOverall team is great, always have the chance to learn more.

ConsFor a healthcare company the pay is low management needs more training lack of moral, they push employees to the point where some people have nightmares if the place. Lots of micromanaging one must be ready for lack of communication.

Very high turn over

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people in the floor who deal with the customers daily, stop making changes that only cause more grief. No equality lots of favouritism no employee functions. Overall for a large organization you'd expect so much more but all you have is employees you come to work to look for work.

Stay away unless you like being overworked and under compensated

Field Based (Current Employee) Northeast, NY

ProsLarge company that fills a much needed job in the marketplace. Teammates are wonderful and very giving of time and always willing to help.

ConsNo accountability for Dublin associates. Cosby does an about face and changes course way too often. MBT conversion was a horrible experiences and 16 months later still no access to data that was promised at go live. Too top heavy and not enough people to do the work. Penny wise and pound foolish.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a reality check

warehouse associate

Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) Peabody, MA

Prospaid time off, some benefits and some co-workers

Conswow the politics in the facility is horrible. the management team has favorites even though they say they don't. no one you can talk to because the employees learn not to trust management or HR( it seems HR is more for corporate than the people). female employees learn to use the supervisors to their advantage. employee with English as a second language doesn't know who to turn to because of fear of retaliation (there's also people describing it to being like the killing field). if you voice your opinion you're told to quit because they don't want people with opinions there( it's their way) yes some employee was told their opinion doesn't count. they have team lead that shouldn't even be leads, they were desperate because all the good team leads left and needed someone to be accountable for that department. the pay isn't that great and the longer you work the less you make compare to new hires. employee was told many time that if you don't like it then leave in the beginning of a shift which is really stupid because you just ruin the morale for the whole night. no room for advancement if you only have a high school diploma or if you're not the type who likes to suck up. VERY STRESSFUL work environment when it shouldn't be. there's more things but you can read other peoples review. btw warehouse generalist probably give the worse reviews for a reason while people in upper management gives better reviews.

Advice to Senior Managementstop promoting suck up or kids that has no knowledge or respect for their peers, all they see is a title and they think they can boss people around. don't put 3-4 years experience on a job opening and give the job to someone who's been for less than a year while the people who's been there longer and applying for the job get a chance to advance.

Strong Employees being lead by morons

ProsThe people are great, they give their all to the job and are a pleasure to be around

ConsSenior Management is all about who you know. They promote from within, only the people who agree with VP's. They pay on the very low end of what is acceptable and work you to death. A personal life is not allowed.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in talent from outside with proven abilities and get rid of the dead weight.

Worked for Cardinal Health? Contribute to the Community!