Cardinal Health

Updated January 27, 2015
3.2

Cardinal Health Chairman & CEO George S. Barrett
George S. Barrett

Pros
  • Work-life balance is very fair, excellent people in the finance organization (in 36 reviews)

• good pay if you get what you ask for, good benefits, pto time off (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • While encouraged, there will be times when work-life balance is not very balanced (in 22 reviews)

• poor work-life balance, long hours, management is ever-changing, lots of turnover (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent company that takes care of its employees well

Current Employee - Database Coordinator in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Database Coordinator in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Cardinal values real work life balance giving nearly 4 weeks of paid time off annually to new hires and has a strong benefits package. In my department, using PTO even early on the job is encouraged. They expect a professional work output from their employees but as of yet I don't see a culture that expects overworking or even really rewards it. There's a gym, health clinic, pharmacy, and credit union onsite so it's really convenient. I know a number of people who have worked at Cardinal for years and they all recommend it. Cardinal encourages career and skill development and moving within the company after an appropriate amount of service time - enough to learn and perform your current job with excellence. Compensation is appropriate - not excellent but not poor, and with all the other benefits and potential for growth it is worth taking.

Cons

Training has been a bit slow so there's been times I haven't had a whole lot to do during these first few weeks, but that's normal in many office jobs. The pay could be better considering nearly everyone in the department is a college grad but the starting pay is roughly $30k.

Enterprise IT Department

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dublin, OH

I worked at Cardinal Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you enjoy dressing up and following company rules and regulations. Flexible hours, great medical coverage and plenty of room to advance your career. Pay is much higher that most other large corporations in Columbus and you can expect a performance review and a raise every year.

Cons

Reorganization happens about every 6 months. As soon as I figured out how to please one boss, I was given a new one. We were frequently moved from one building to another. Successful employees have learned how to go with the flow.

I appreciated the 1:1 time with my managers. Other companies should do that.

Good Company, Nuclear is not easy to advance

Current Employee - Nuclear Pharmacy Supervisor
    Current Employee - Nuclear Pharmacy Supervisor

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, company invests in tools and training to help employees, compensation is adequate but nothing to rave about. Great amount of paid time off.

Cons

Hard to advance, lots of politics to the company, low level employees are poorly compensated. Paid time off never rolls over, cannot be cashed out. Consistently short staffed, profit not shared with all employees except through annual 401(k) contribution. No real rewards for exceptional performance outside occasional spot bonuses and small annual increases.

Show the core employees which are the face of your business that you do care about them. The feel is that entry level employees in NPS can be easily replaced and are not valued based on the low starting wages and minimal annual increases. There should be more compensation (bonuses) tied to the performance of the location/business unit/department for all to share in the wealth not just higher level management.

Could be great again

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Radcliff, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Radcliff, KY

I worked at Cardinal Health

Pros

very good benefits, good pay

Cons

Very poor leadership from Corporate down to the call centers in KY and AR the results are that the Managers, Supervise and Support personnel not to mention the CSR's are over worked and very unappreciated by the people that are in a position to make this situation better, worst of all there is a pervasive feeling that you do not matter and are extremely expandandable stop outsourcing

Look at how your company was doing and the culture that existed three years ago and look at it now, Put down the spreed sheets and your charts step back for a moment and listen to your employees they are what makes your company either fly like an eagle or end up tearing itself apart, you have a lot to do with that outcome Cardinal health can again be a great place to be and work

horrible!

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good vacation time and 401k

Cons

horrible pay for the amount of work you do!! terrible on hours and no room for promotions!! They always promote from outside rather than reward hard working employees who have been there for 10+ years.

Get better

When it's right, it's right.

Former Employee - Senior Compliance Coordinator in Madison, MS
    Former Employee - Senior Compliance Coordinator in Madison, MS

I worked at Cardinal Health

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to advance if you apply yourself and show that you are ready, able and willing to learn and grow.

Cons

As with most large companies, too much politics takes place and gets in the way of creativity and facility growth.

When an individual is put on a PIP and asks for training on one of the issues they are meant to improve on, please provided that training. I asked for Leadership training three times and was ignored each time, and at one point told that "it wouldn't help at this point".

Good Company

I worked at Cardinal Health

Pros

get to do real work in an intern role, pays well

Cons

As an intern in the field, felt like no one actually paid attention to me

Worst company I ever work for.

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate II in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate II in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pto from day one.Use to have good benefit but they changed medical insurance for 2015. Good group of employees.

Cons

Not work balance. The job is hard and they pushed you to work a lot of over time. Work on holidays that place never closes.its a 7/24 operations. Huge turn over in upper management and supervisors. Only one supervisor treat every employee with respect. We all like him and I'm not from his department. Management have no brain and come with crazy ideas that push you to work like a animal.

This advice is to corporate. Put people in higher positions with brain and that know how to appreciate employees. Upper management don't have a clue on how to run the operations. They are clueless. Poor supervisors can't do nothing because upper management. Be upfront with employees and don't lie like politicians.

You will get treated with vacation.

Current Employee - Lead Coordinator in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Coordinator in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Cardinal Health

Pros

Vacation, communication, close management, voice of employees

Cons

Pay, limited schedule, and sometimes going by the book isn't the best route. When taking care of a customer, you should step out of your comfort zone.

Great Place to Work!

I have been working at Cardinal Health

Pros

Everything from benefits to culture

Cons

Middle Management not good at all

Take out some of the middle managment

Cardinal Health Photos