Cardinal Health

Updated October 27, 2014
3.2

Cardinal Health Chairman & CEO George S. Barrett
George S. Barrett

Pros
  • Work-life balance is very fair, excellent people in the finance organization (in 36 reviews)

• Strong management team, very good benefits, excellent resources to do your job (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • While encouraged, there will be times when work-life balance is not very balanced (in 22 reviews)

• poor work-life balance, long hours, management is ever-changing, lots of turnover (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Great on boarding process but terrible growth opportunity.

Current Employee - Coordinator, Product Data Management in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Coordinator, Product Data Management in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great training process. Extremely thorough training process. The company stands for great values, consistent encouragement of all employees to further their careers.

Cons

Working as a contractor should allow for greater chance of being brought on full time. Very un-transparent of open possibilities. Little effort to help you network and further your career. All talk, no walk.

Good Experience

I worked at Cardinal Health

Pros

There is a respectable opportunity for growth

Cons

There is poor communication between departments

enhance communication skills, more transparent

Cardinal Health was an okay place to work.

I worked at Cardinal Health

Pros

Good Benefits, PTO and work balance
    Co-workers were dedicated to the success of company
    Teamwork was strong and management was open & respectful
    Optimism and Spirit was high

Cons

Compensation wasn't the greatest
    there wasn't enough room for personal growth
    Innovation and adaptability was low

great company

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

company is full of great people

Cons

i really don't have any cons

great company

Avoid if you can

Current Employee - Technician I, Chemical/Pharmaceutical Operations (Nights) in East Hartford, CT

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is full time employment. It can be entry level employment for someone who just graduated college in Chemistry or Biology. You won't do much actual chemistry and biology and the skillset you gain won't be very applicable outside this niche area of PET drug manufacturing. But you will gain work experience in the pharmaceutical industry and in manufacturing operations.

Cons

I was told in my interview that starting pay is $17/hr for Tech I in PET but that it would raise as soon as I got AU certified. I asked how long it takes to get AU certified and was told 6 weeks. Do not believe this. The course takes 6 weeks but it takes several months before you can take the course + six weeks + several months to receive the certification. Then you won't actually get promoted when you get certified. They will make you wait until you are on the site license, which takes another several months to apply for and another several months to wait for approval from the state. Then your supervisor will tell you he will promote you, but will not actually do it. You will get strung along. You will wait for your promotion to get announced but it won't happen. When you question him about it, he will tell you that AU certification is only one factor in promotion and it is discretionary based on the manager's assessment of things like "leadership ability". But your manager only sees you for anywhere from 5 min to an hour per day because you are a third shift employee (10pm start - when you get AU certified you will work opening for some amount of time) and he is a first shift employee (7am start and he stays in his office outside the lab a majority of the time).

You will open the site by yourself unsupervised for two hours, then act as a shift lead, generally with the newest employee for another 3 hours, you will perform production, perform sterility, do your paperwork, all without supervision - but when it comes to promotion, the goal posts repeatedly shift further back, and you don't meet the "requirements". In your performance review, your manager will blame you for "not taking the initiative" to become qualified in Amyvid processes, even though that is something that has to be scheduled because it is performed concurrently with your other tasks. This is a trend - your manager will shift blame as much as possible to the least common denominator, which is you.

Then when you finally do get promoted between a year and a year and a half later (if you last that long without getting fed up), you will be making $19/hr as a Tech II. In the mean time you will put up with a work environment in which you essentially will be expected to be on-call, and your starting time can vary dramatically by 6 hours or more on only a few hours notice. This happened to me many times. Your manager will either not make a schedule or will make a schedule that is meaningless practically as soon as it is made on a regular basis. You may be expected to be in another state across the country on less than 24 hrs notice to cover for another site (if your site's staffing is adequate and depending on what you are qualified in). When you are sent somewhere, you will have to front the money for your hotel, for your rental car, and the rest of your expenses. Cardinal will reimburse you eventually, but for someone making $17/hr, it will be difficult to have that kind of money in your bank account to allocate to these expenses while you have other bills to pay.

You will work some form of third shift whether it is 10pm or midnight or 2am 3am 4am - it will vary, and the more you are qualified in, the more it will vary. You will work weekends also. You will be miserable.

Started off great but after a number of reorganizations it fell off quickly

Former Employee - Nuclear Pharmacy Service
    Former Employee - Nuclear Pharmacy Service

I worked at Cardinal Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

R&D/Product Development was filled with great leadership that cared for the individual and continuously looked to develop individuals. After a major reorganization,the new leadership got rid of those managers and kept the ones that lacked any real development skills.

Cons

Leadership was a revolving door and the main cause of that is the Quality group. Instead of being a support functions they were throwing up road blocks for anyone outside of their group. Most of these road blocks were promises that were way overblown because of their lack of knowledge of the industry.

Please fix the Quality management and leadership for the sake of the current employees.

Great company to work for

I worked at Cardinal Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's the manager you work for or with that makes a difference in your work experience with Cardinal. Great co-workers, teammates. Career growth, benefits.

Cons

Not so much a con, however, make sure you network so that you and the value you bring are visible to the organization due to its size and scope.

Talent/ Career development is encouraged, make sure all managers are doing this for all their direct reports.

very good company to work for

I worked at Cardinal Health full-time

Pros

good company to grow in / the benefits and great people to work with

Cons

the only thing is you have to work hard no time to play game stay on your toes long hours.

they are ok.

Cardinal Health Experience

Current Employee - Pharmacist
    Current Employee - Pharmacist

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company to work for. Strong management team, very good benefits, excellent resources to do your job.

Cons

Employees working in the field seem to be separated from the corporate culture. By that I mean that communications, advancement opportunities, etc. are more targeted to those working in the corporate headquarters than those in the field.

It really was a nice place to work.

Former Employee - Administrative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Administrative in Denver, CO

I worked at Cardinal Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I feel that this company is doing great work, and was proud to work for them. I only left because a better career opportunity was offered to work in the field I really wanted to focus on.

Cons

I guess if it is a con for some people, there is a lot of walking involved in most positions because they have such a huge warehouse.

Same advise I would give to any manager, just ensure you are listening to the actual concerns that are brought to your attention.

Cardinal Health Photos