Cardinal Health

Updated January 24, 2015
3.2

Cardinal Health Chairman & CEO George S. Barrett
George S. Barrett

Pros
  • Work-life balance is very fair, excellent people in the finance organization (in 36 reviews)

• good pay if you get what you ask for, good benefits, pto time off (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • While encouraged, there will be times when work-life balance is not very balanced (in 22 reviews)

• poor work-life balance, long hours, management is ever-changing, lots of turnover (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pays fairly, good bonus structure

Cons

Home office centered. Does not communicate well with the field.

Internship Experience

I worked at Cardinal Health

Pros

Great company that gives its interns meaningful work during their ten-week internship.

Cons

Lack of diversity within company.

Great employer! As a Fortune 20 company, it offers competitive salaries and room for advancement.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Dublin, OH

I worked at Cardinal Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As a field based employee, had flexibility to move with family as needed throughout career.

Cons

Intense pressure on customers to reduce costs results in difficult decisions at times.

Continue customer-centric focus.

horrible!

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good vacation time and 401k

Cons

horrible pay for the amount of work you do!! terrible on hours and no room for promotions!! They always promote from outside rather than reward hard working employees who have been there for 10+ years.

Get better

Worst company I ever work for.

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate II in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate II in Durham, NC

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pto from day one.Use to have good benefit but they changed medical insurance for 2015. Good group of employees.

Cons

Not work balance. The job is hard and they pushed you to work a lot of over time. Work on holidays that place never closes.its a 7/24 operations. Huge turn over in upper management and supervisors. Only one supervisor treat every employee with respect. We all like him and I'm not from his department. Management have no brain and come with crazy ideas that push you to work like a animal.

This advice is to corporate. Put people in higher positions with brain and that know how to appreciate employees. Upper management don't have a clue on how to run the operations. They are clueless. Poor supervisors can't do nothing because upper management. Be upfront with employees and don't lie like politicians.

Micromanagement, Bureaucracy, Office Politics, and Red Tape

I worked at Cardinal Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very structured, slow moving environment, where everyone is convinced to give their engagement before any project moves forward.
    Heavy on meetings for those that like to speak excessively.

Cons

All growth is accomplished through acquisitions of smaller companies having the desired functional area/clients with little or no investing in training or growth of existing staff / structure.
    Most managers seem to be generic project managers (usually PMP certified) who know little or nothing about those they manage.
    Temp contractors are used extensively and usually paid far more than permanent employees.
    Bureaucracy and silo-ed teams ensure no task is accomplished quickly, efficiently, or properly.
    Total meeting duration runs greater than 1M hours annually across the enterprise (as displayed by the Time-tracking systems).

Reduce management counts by 50% and only promote qualified people.
    Stop hiring contractors for every new task.
    Trust the workers to get work done and stop micromanaging.
    Actually promote people that aren't in the management track...instead of continually hiring more managers for everything.

Very disorganized, with poor system implementation and operation. Bad management with little to no operating skills.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Radcliff, KY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Radcliff, KY

I worked at Cardinal Health

Pros

Good benefits, Decent pay, Nice building

Cons

Poor systems, bad management, bully tactics, daily threats from mgmt. No job stability.

Quit looking at the numbers, listen to the employees. FIX the systems. Management, get a hint....if you have to bring in counselors and massage therapists to help with stress in the building, there is a problem. Your not always right. Stop threatening the employees, this only proves you do not know how to manage. Quit misleading on the companies future, I was there when we were told Cardinal Health would never send jobs overseas (by corporate mngmt at a Town Hall event), and 3 years later you are laying off dozens upon dozens of employees due to jobs being shipped to oversea call centers. For the last year of my employment, I witnessed on average 3 employees a week break down in tears or just get up and leave due to an impossible demanding workload and overbearing supervisors. When I worked at the Radcliff facility, we were nearly 500 strong......now maybe 200 and getting smaller every day.

Highly Matrix-ed very political organization

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Dublin, OH

I worked at Cardinal Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is never boring. You can always learn something new. Ability to move laterally is also a great plus.
    Cardinal started to offer flex working hours which was great.

Cons

Leadership team is a joke. There is no connection between SVPs and up and the high level professionals.
    Everyone gets the same annual increase which is announced annually. I was there for 5 years in total and merit increase was 2%, 2% and 3% respectively during the last 3 years.
    If you rock, you get an additional 25 basis points. So 3% becomes 3.25%.
    Unless you play the political game, you don't and can't advance. There was a director in our group that noone knew what he did after he got promoted a year ago. That is how bad the office politics is.
    Also, health benefits are one of the worst I have ever seen.
    The team that I was part of had 80% attrition rate within the past 2 years.
    The last but not the least, Cardinal started to take away laptops. They decided to move into a cloud system and told everyone to bring their own devices.
    There were multiple layoffs during my 5 years. (sales and marketing got affected the most)

You are losing all of your talent. Does it occur to you why? You need to pay close attention.

Unorganized direction of division

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Cardinal Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Large company with many opportunities.

Cons

Pay, constant changing of upper management. Outdated systems. Zero product training.

Get in the field and listen to your sales reps and customers.

Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH

I worked at Cardinal Health as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Cardinal Health really cares that their interns are enjoying their experience. They pay relatively well, and HR will set you up in an extended stay hotel if you are not from the area. Cardinal also really wants all of their "high performing" interns to return for additional internships. If you are graduating, they will sell you the Emerge program pretty heavily. Most rising seniors are basically expected to apply.

Cons

More of an emphasis on the internship program (community service, professional development) over the actual work itself. A lot of down time.

Make sure that managers have an abundance of work for their interns.

Cardinal Health Photos