Cardinal Health

Cardinal Health Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Cardinal Health Chairman & CEO George S. Barrett

George S. Barrett

Pros
  • Good work-life balance and supportive of community causes (in 31 reviews)

• Good benefits, clean work environment, strong Management Team (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • While encouraged, there will be times when work-life balance is not very balanced (in 20 reviews)

• poor work-life balance, long hours, management is ever-changing, lots of turnover (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

They don't have a clue

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsWhat you do as a specialist helps other people.

ConsSenior Management does not explain their actions. A major RIF just occurred and the "roll out" of the event was horrible. Local management was told when and who to fire. People were let go with over 10 years in the company. There seemed to be no sense in who they let go. Everything is about the bottom line. They are so revenue driven they forget real people do the work and real people have to service the customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect goes a long way and your people are not stupid. You are accountable for your actions to both shareholders AND your employees.

Cardinal Health - Avoid working here if you are a professional in your field and you want to keep your skills sharp!

Consultant (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsBenifits are good. That's it!

ConsThere is a huge communication gap between the senior management and the functional management. There doesn't seem to be a coherent plan or common vision. It's almost as if there are individual little companies within the San Diego site; each doing whatever they want to do. There is also not enough accountability in this company!!!!! People don't have to have appropriate skills or education for thier jobs and people are promoted to management positions when they have NO experience in the field necessary for thier team. It's extremely frustrating if you ARE an educated, trained professional and you are unfortunate enough to work for someone who has NO IDEA what the best practices are for your field and are not willing to invest the time to learn, listen, or follow-through with actions. I see this situation a lot in the San Diego site.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves!!!!!!! We need good leaders who know how to unite and communicate with the troops!

Cardinal Health does not value its people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsName recogition in the industry.

ConsMgmt is completely non supportive and ineffective in the Finance department. Also HR is in Ohio and if you have an issue you get to call an 866 # and talk to people who know nothing about CA law.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue all of your people not just Sales.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Better than average comp/benefits. Senior Management ???

Inside Sales Manager (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGood people to work with. Will allow people to come in and work their way up without having industry experience. Pay is better than average. Benefits pretty good overall.

ConsHQ needs more insight as to what goes on and bring in more true leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to carefully review the operation, people, and management. Certain areas are pulling the weight and profitability while those areas that are unprofitable are getting the resources. Although that is sometimes necessary, the length of time (years) this has been going on for is unacceptable. CARDINAL HEALTH SPD

was a great place to work many years ago

Territory Consultant (Former Employee)

Prosdecent benfits, ability to move up

Conswork life balance leans more towards the company although they tell you it's important to them, too many products in your bag and they pull you in 500 different directions; sales reporting changes every 2 years but they continue to use bits and pieces from previous systems. Each vp wants a different report and it's all manual work. Paper work is a entire other job from 4-12pm. They have higher base salaries than most companies but they will pull from that number in your % to plan. Not every GP$ is created equal so you could make the company a ton of money but if it's not in the right bucket you won't make any commission but still support the product line.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate your employees accordingly. once they get to the end of the stick and find out there is no carrot that's when people pack up and leave.

Cardinal Health

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dublin, OH

ProsGenerous vacation time and bonus plans for management level employees.

ConsTalent management is a joke. Very driven by who you know, not how you have performed. Strong leftover boys network at the higher levels which make it a difficult place for women to advance. Strong double standard is part of the culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop changing the structure every year and deal with the executives who have failed to execute year after year. Better appreciate diversity of thought and gender equality.

If you don't know how to say "No" stay away.

Chemist II (Current Employee) East Hartford, CT

ProsNice benefits and good working environment on the whole. I didn't have to deal with much interpersonal drama in the workplace. I felt that I was part of a team working together to solve problems we encountered.

ConsPET services are or were poorly managed. The regional passed his workload onto my boss, who in turn passed many of his duties onto me and the other salaried positions. The hourly level employees were largely exempt from this due to overtime pay.
    My supervisor was seldom physically present during a crisis, preferring to try to manage the situation by phone. He would promise to be there by say 6am, which through experience we learned was 8 or 9 or maybe noon. I was routinely called in during these times as well as to fill in for absences outside of my typical working hours. When already working both night and day time shifts at times in the same week, it was very difficult to maintain any semblance of a normal sleep cycle much less a home life. Advice: learn to say "No" firmly, early and often.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more proactive, don't wait until the last minute to start work needed to make important deadlines. For instance, the application submission date requirement for FDA approval for 14-FDG was known well in advance. But the production sites didn't start performing the required validations until the last couple of months. Totally unnecessary additional stress not to say overtime, and in the rush a few problems didn't get caught in the initial review and so the whole process had to be repeated. I lost a bit of respect for and confidence in our management team, and through a few similar instances showing poor advance planning and ability to set realistic time tables taking into account existing site workload and personnel.

Middle Management Is Oblivious

IT Lead (Former Employee) Dublin, OH

Pros+ Nice campus and amenities.
    + Paid paternal leave

Cons- Middle management and some executives have little to no interest in their employees.
    - Managers make fun of employees behind closed doors, nice to your face. Won't realize potential in people or give them opportunities and instead write them off (I've sat in these meetings).
    - No training or continuing education because they spent its budget elsewhere (shhh).
    - The benefits used to be great, but went downhill fast. Every year they cut them.
    - There's a "re-org" every year.
    - It's frowned upon if you don't take your laptop home with you. Do more with less!
    - Cubicled, silo structured teams ensure you have a meeting every minute of the day (see "take laptop home" comment above).

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best ideas come from below. Stop treating employees like they're children - picking favorites and ignoring ideas like they're moot. Invest in them and allow them to grow.

No Career path in Waukegan

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Waukegan, IL

ProsGood benefits, Great people to work with.

ConsNo career path unless willing to move to Ohio. Need to remove management set in their ways. Promote based on the "boys club"

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote movement

Disappointing - flat opportunity

Consultant (Former Employee) Dublin, OH

ProsGreat co-workers who care about customers

ConsOverwhelming poor leadership who often did not have to apply for their position are perceived by their actions to care more about how they look than customer satisfaction. Extreme highly political/male dominated environment. Women especially silenced/ostracized from leadership positions in IT.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more of a sense of fairness. Would favor the VPs ask themselves if they would have their positions if staff had opportunity to vote for them....

Worked for Cardinal Health? Contribute to the Community!