Cardinal McCloskey Community Services Reviews

6 reviews filtered by
2.8
Beth Finnerty
1 Rating

1. Has the potential to be an awesome place to work.

Current Employee - Residential Manager in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Residential Manager in White Plains, NY

I have been working at Cardinal McCloskey Community Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome advocate for the Children and individuals they serve.

Cons

They overwhelm their staff, and are understaffed in their DD services.

Listen to your managers and DSP's and give them a raise. The DSP's are the front line workers.

2. Could've been better.

Former Employee - Waiver Service Provider in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Waiver Service Provider in Bronx, NY

I worked at Cardinal McCloskey Community Services part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay was great for someone without a Bachelor's degree.
    Great way to earn experience helping those in the community.
    Helping and aiding foster or once fostered children and kids.

Cons

Paperwork/supervisory meetings are rushed during the last few days of the month.
    Cases are located in dangerous parts of the city.
    Caregivers will get you in trouble with superiors.
    HCI's will only contact you when convenient to them.
    Training are a joke (taken seriously the first few minutes).
    Trainings info sessions not enough to prepare one for the field.
    Format to write notes depends on supervisor.
    Other WSP's on the same case as you will not communicate with you unless it is convenient to them.
    Caregivers will reschedule at last minute therefore you not getting paid until you meet with them.
    Some caregivers/guardians smoke without asking you.

Better training
    Better time management (B2H supervisors, WSP Supervisors and HCI's)
    Better communication

Good place to work, but disorganized. Can be better.

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Bronx, NY

I worked at Cardinal McCloskey Community Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Salary-Assistant Teacher, up to 15.00+
    Solid program for preschoolers-Teaching Strategies, Creative Curriculum
    Work is expected from the teachers, charts, art work, monitoring of progress of each child

Cons

Disorganized--Could be the Directors I worked for? I do not mind paper work, but it was given within short deadlines and within short notice. Also, they would give paper work for one thing, and then say it was not necessary. Family Workers "act" like teacher's supervisors. Teachers only have two--their Ed Coordinator and Site Manager, thank you.

Hired me as an assistant, and had me floating around, substituting for classrooms that never opened. We worked on a day by day basis without knowing what was going to happen. Not the directors fault, but CMCS could/should have handled it better by relocating or not hiring employees until classrooms teachers were ready to be assigned to classrooms with the student cap required.

Need to be aware and sensitive to teachers when presenting overload of paper work. Make sure you have proper documents before passing information along to teachers, as well as other information.

Great place to work - low salaries, difficult to be promoted

I worked at Cardinal McCloskey Community Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful people, excellent organizational mission

Cons

Disconnect between upper management and front line staff

6. Friendly family- like work place

Current Employee - Parent Advocate in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Parent Advocate in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Cardinal McCloskey Community Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Upper management is very supportive with an open door policy.

Cons

Independent work , servicing parent from the neighborhood.

7. Teacher

Current Employee - Teacher in Kampong Batang Duri (Brunei)
    Current Employee - Teacher in Kampong Batang Duri (Brunei)

I have been working at Cardinal McCloskey Community Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Educating young children, making friends among the employees and with some directors. Families very helpful in the classroom and working hours were ok.

Cons

Salary was not great. Hr and senio management would tell you to write a letter to request a salary evaluation, however it was placed in the back burner. Hr were the worst. They had favorism over people they liked and those whom they disliked, Hr made it very clear that you were not wanted or you were lower than dirt. Senior management often present themselves as bullies in the playground. Headstart is ideally to provided educational, and social services to the children and thier families,, so how can any teacher provide great services when we are constantly are being pulled out from one center to the next, or from one classroom to the next classroom and often times yelled at from the deputies. As an employee, you feel unappreciated and devalued. Senior management at times, which is often, tear my director and stress her out. Family workers, some of them need a training on how to a respectful employee and teamplayer. I agree with one of the comments written above, that they feel like they are our supervisiors.

Advice to CMCS, discharge all senior management and begin a new team that will take CMCS to the next level.