Cardinal Solutions

Updated August 27, 2014
4.0

Cardinal Solutions President & CEO Kelly P Conway
Kelly P Conway

Great work life balance, tough to get noticed

Current Employee - Staff I Consultant
    Current Employee - Staff I Consultant

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Senior management is very humble and interested in everyone's feedback
    "Above and beyond" work is appreciated and rewarded when it is observed
    Practice managers are generally receptive and responsive to salary inquiries
    Coworkers are among the best in the business, Cardinal recruiters have a great eye for talent
    Employees are given a great deal of independence, micromanaging is rare

Cons

Account managers are opportunistic and do not always keep employees' goals in mind when assigning them to projects
    Tough to get to know coworkers when they are onsite full-time
    Projects are often poorly managed and infighting on development teams is common
    Seems to be perpetually understaffed in certain areas
    Lowball hourly estimates can lead to strained timelines and over-resourcing

Great Work Culture

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time

Pros

The work environment and culture is great. They have monthly happy hours after hours, annual family outings and other fun activities where you can get to know your co-workers working at other client sites.

Cons

The process of assigning consultants to client projects could use some improvement. Consultants need to be placed on projects that highlights their skill sets.

Help sales team improve assignment process. Evaluate turn-over rate.

Great place to grow, stale place to stay

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Cardinal Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Professionals with 2-5 years of experience will find this place fun, invigorating, and generally full of decent projects and good exposure to improve themselves and their resume.

Cons

There is little room for growth beyond a senior technician, as is the case with most consulting jobs. Most people will stay for a time and then move on to get hired by their client.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic place to work

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions

Pros

Fun culture, lots of learning, significant projects in domains that matter. Genuine interest in making the company better. Hires / promotes from within. Smart people to work with. Well-liked by clients. Cool wellness and culture activities.

Cons

Have to make the most of your opportunities. Sometimes best assignments are timing related.

Continue to grow new geographies and disciplines. Replicate the success of the Microsoft partnership to other vendors.

Good place to work

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Get to work with good knowledgeable people and various different projects in different industries. Get to work with the leading edge technology.

Cons

Sometimes there is not enough up front support from sales. I.E. you get to fulfill an inaccurate SOW and don't get much flexibility once you're with a client.

Add a way to so sales reviews based on the accuracy of the SOWs that consultants work against.

It used to be good, but has gone down hill

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people that I work directly with are usually great
    Health insurance is good - small deductible

Cons

The good managers are no longer with the company
    The account managers don't know about technology, but they are in charge of proposals and clients - some get upset when they are corrected about technology

Need more breadth, instead of just depth, when it comes to clients

Okay - Opportunities for Improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers are nice ppl, pay is competitive, great work life balance

Cons

Lack of strong leadership and professionalism; party culture

Be role models and focus on professionalism; Cardinal is not always taken seriously because of our culture.

Outstanding Culture, Extremely Understanding, Modest Pay

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1) The culture at Cardinal is second to none. I've worked at many different places and never have I gotten along with and enjoyed the company of the folks I work with at Cardinal. Since starting at Cardinal I've turned down multiple job offers with substantially hire pay because I can't bring myself to leave the culture of Cardinal behind for the stuffiness of some run-of-the-mill IT firm.

2) Need to work from home? No problem. Need to leave early for a doctor's appoint? Hope you feel better! Not feeling productive on a Wednesday and want to make up some time on the weekend. Sounds good. Cardinal is unlike any other company I've worked for when it comes to leniency and understanding. They care a lot less about the hours you work and a lot more about the quality of the deliverables.

3) There are lots of social events and ample opportunities to get to know your coworkers. There are monthly happy hours, the company picnic, night at the Reds game, the holiday party, practice meetings, lunch and learns, sports leagues, and more and all of it is paid for in full by the company. Before joining Cardinal, I came from (what I thought was) a fairly laid back, social company but Cardinal has blown that perception away with how much effort they put towards events like this.

Cons

1) The pay is modest. Off the top of my head I know of several folks (myself included) who know for a fact they're very underpaid. That said, for a lot of us, the culture and other intangibles of working at Cardinal make up for this.

2) I can echo some of the sentiment from other reviews here in that there seems to be a limited amount of "senior" personnel - folks who can act as authorities on various subjects. There are a lot of good people at Cardinal but sometimes it's hard finding someone with a ton of experience and expertise to lean on when you need to learn and learn quickly.

3) Standardization and "process" is still an issue at Cardinal. For example, we recently just "updated" our intranet but even after the update it's not clear where to store project information, where to do wiki pages or documents explaining various technologies or experiences at clients. we also have blogging capability on our company site but it hasn't been communicated at all how someone should "officially" go about contributing to the blog. Unless you're a CQ5 developer with access to the CQ environments, you're at the mercy of manually emailing or stopping by offices to try and see how you can contribute.

4) Retention is a serious problem in my opinion. Cardinal spends a lot of money and time on recruiting to get fresh talent in the door but they let outstanding employees walk away simply because of money (in most cases). I can name off several people off the top of my head, just from the last two years, who absolutely loved Cardinal but left for a substantial pay raise.

1) Standardize, enforce process, communicate this to everyone and do so repeatedly. There should be an official process on how to contribute to Cardinal's blog site. There should be very clear explanations out there on how the new portal is organized and where to put things. Cardinal did this a while back with the employee review process. They reorganized it, communicated exactly how it works, put an official process in place and have, for the most part, been following it fairly well. DO MORE OF THIS.

2) Work on retention more than you work on recruiting. Recruiting is important, no doubt, but you wouldn't be so desperate for quality talent if you would put some serious effort into retaining the talent you already have. I've seen far too many incredible people walk away over a bigger pay day that they simply couldn't refuse.

Work Hard, Play Harder

Current Employee - SharePoint Enterprise Consultant  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - SharePoint Enterprise Consultant in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions for more than a year

Pros

You get to work with extremely smart and talented software engineers and UIX designers.
    Great corporate culture.
    Use the latest and greatest Microsoft Technologies.

Cons

Things can get very fast paced sometimes. If you're planing and always ahead of the game nothing to worry about. Also, management is always there to help, so don't hesitate to ask for support.

Love it

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time

Pros

This is a great place to work!

Cons

I have no complaints about this company.

Worked for Cardinal Solutions? Contribute to the Community!