Cardington Yutaka Technologies

Updated December 7, 2014
Updated December 7, 2014
1.7

Hirokazu Kawuai

An accurate summary from a current employee.

Current Employee - Production Associate in Cardington, OH
    Current Employee - Production Associate in Cardington, OH

I have been working at Cardington Yutaka Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've noticed most reviews are from former employees so I'd like to offer a perspective from someone who isn't biased or bitter over losing a job. This review is geared toward those interested in working here or already work as a temp and want to get hired in. This is just some information I wish I had been available to me.

As of right now, we start out making 11.25 an hour and get a $1.50 raise after three months. Then we get a quarter raise every three months until we top out at two years. We acquire a total of 40 hours of ETO (earned time off) during the first year and 16 hours of unpaid ETO (which is only for newly hired in employees).

All major United States holidays are paid days off. We get a week off for July 4th and typically a week and a half off for Christmas break. All paid. That goes for full time employees only. Temps do not get paid days off.

You make an additional 50 cents an hour if you're on 2nd or 3rd shift.

After six months, we get two personal call off days. Along with the ETO and paid vacations each year.

Overtime can be both a pro and a con. If you're on a main line, expect to work 10-12 hours 5-6 days a week. You get time and a half after working more than 8 hours a day. So if you work 12 hours a day, you're getting time and a half after the first 8 hours.

You're with a trainer until you sign off on a machine so you don't have to worry about being stuck somewhere without knowing what to do.

It's difficult to get fired unless you have poor attendance or are threatening people. There are plenty of people that don't always hit their numbers and they're still okay. If you're having a bad day and can't keep it, it's not the end of the world. Your job is secured. But that doesn't mean you should slack off every day. Friendly advice: don't call off if you don't have ETO/personal days. Just suck it up and get through the day because once you start getting points, it's hard to get rid of them.

The on-site Ohio Health clinic is free to all full time employees. If you or anyone in your family is feeling ill or has a minor injury or just needs a physical, head into the clinic to checked out.

Affordable medical/dental/eye insurance. Your insurance kicks in after three months, but make sure you complete your assessment online and at the clinic or you'll be paying a lot more a week than you thought you would.

Fitness center for only a dollar a week. The equipment is excellent and the gym is big. It's well worth signing up for.

This is a very family orientated place. There are always holiday parties for the entire family to enjoy and a company picnic each summer.

Most of the employees are friendly and will help answer any questions you have. You'll have plenty of opportunities to make new friends. You're allowed to socialize with those working beside you as long as it does not interfere with your production. If you need any assistance, don't be afraid to ask. People are willing to help you or at least point you in the right direction.

Cons

Overtime without much of a warning. This happens occasionally. There have been times when we were under the impression there would be no weekend overtime only to be told on Friday that emergency weekend overtime is necessary. Also, if your line is nowhere near their quota by last break, expect to work over unless told otherwise.

Lack of communication between the different shifts. I switched from first shift to second shift and was surprised by how different it was despite being on the same line. First shift blames second for any screw ups and vise versa. The way we did things on first is not the way we do them on second. It's easy to resent the other shifts but try not to. You're not there to see what they're experiencing. And the coordinators/team leaders rarely confirm we're all on the same page.

They can make you change shifts with a two week notice. I went from first to second shift but I didn't volunteer. As long as they give you a notice, they can move you at any time. For some people that can be a deal breaker, especially if you have kids and/or a strict schedule. However, after a few months, you can sign up to return to your original shift and bump a newer employee.

Sick days are not excused unless you have a personal day to use or available ETO. My advice is to not use a personal day just to take a day off. You'll regret it if you wake up really sick one day. Always have at least one personal day available.

If you're going to be late, be courteous and call security so they can let your team leader know so someone can cover you until you arrive. You will receive a quarter or half a point depending on how late you are. If you clock in even after one minute, you're going to get a quarter point. So try to be on time, and during bad weather, make sure you leave early because they will not accept your excuses.

You may come across someone above you who is arrogant and condensing and will make you feel bad about yourself/abilities. Some will try to take their anger out on you, but remember that you do have rights. If you feel you're being treated unfairly, speak to someone in administration or upper management. Most people let it slide but things will only improve if the issues are reported and dealt with accordingly.

Leaving to take your break can take up a lot of your break time. You only get two 10 minute breaks (regular hours, no overtime) and a 30 minute lunch. Depending where you work, it can take a couple minutes just to get to your preferred break area and it does indeed count as part of your break. Advice: learn to walk quickly. You'll notice everyone else does.

Lunches/things being stolen from the coolers. This has never happened to me but it has happened to people I know. Be careful what you store in your lunch bag. Don't leave money/cell phones in there...people will/do go through your things without permission and take whatever they want. Management is trying to crack down on this problem so hopefully it stops soon. When you buy a lunch bag, I'd recommend getting something unique or putting your name on it so no one confuses it as theirs or at least can't use that excuse if you catch them. Also try not to leave money/cell phones in coat pockets either...unless your coat is inside your locker. Either keep your phone in your locker or car.

Communicating between different shifts would be a great help/improvement. Most upper management is not around on 2nd and 3rd shift and they have absolutely no idea what is going on. Instead of just focusing on first shift, try to remember the rest of us.

Cover Your Tail-- Hence CYT

Former Employee - Production Associate in Cardington, OH

I worked at Cardington Yutaka Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have no pros for this company

Cons

From offlines to the office staff communication is the worse, on line they treat you like your stupid ,training about 15 minutes. Injury rate to high to comment on, employee over turn to high to comment on. If you have a job KEEP IT. And yes I do know I was there for 14 years.

consider getting people who care about yutaka and would like to keep it going the way it is and has been for 18 years I'm surprised that Honda hasn't found someone else to build their parts. I wouldn't recommend and I don't recommend Yutaka to anyone who ask me.

Terrible Training

I worked at Cardington Yutaka Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Close to home, only 10 minute drive

Cons

If you aren't a temporary worker working on assembling parts, you might as well just walk around and bang your head against a wall. The training that they do is worthless! The initial orientation is ok, but when you get out with a supervisor, forget it! And when you do as for help, they just look at you like you are stupid and treat you the same way.

Hire managers that care about their employees

Great paying job but...*see cons

I worked at Cardington Yutaka Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

.50 cent shift differential, ETO, Attendance bonuses

Cons

Miscommunication and powertrips can make it a headache

Pay closer attention to line leads and supervisors. They do what they want and even when they get reported nothing gets done about it.

Crap Job!!

I worked at Cardington Yutaka Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good decent working class people but upper management HA

Cons

Everything up front, from HR on up!!!!!!!!!

This company is too rigid

Current Employee - Engineer in Cardington, OH
    Current Employee - Engineer in Cardington, OH

I have been working at Cardington Yutaka Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you want to learn more about six-axis robots and welding with them, there is opportunity to learn.

Insurance is decent if you can pay for it.

Cons

If you don't like to be a part of the boys club, you'll find yourself feeling alienated.

No leadership in their engineering groups, no direction, no projects given, expected to work 6 to 7 days per week. Don't be two minutes late because you'll lose your earned time off.

Not a place for a degree holding professional, period. I left that hell hole at the earliest opportunity. I would strongly urge anyone looking for an engineering position to stay away. I actually work for a supplier that is hands down 500 percent a better place to work.

It's a joke of a place to work, hence Honda taking over in June.

treat people like crap!!!

I worked at Cardington Yutaka Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

insurance, good hourly work force

Cons

everything else.......HR is a freaking joke

quit!!! get people in there that have sense and a personality, try telling the truth and working as a team, you would be surprised how far that goes!!! and get a decent HR person who's professional

No training or help from management

I worked at Cardington Yutaka Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Wages were decent. I did learn more about some of the machinery, especially the robotic welders. Benefits were about the same as any other manufacturing company.

Cons

I was a maintenance technician. I came from another manufacturing facility where I was a technician and had more training. The only reason that I left the other job is the fact that this one was closer to home. There is absolutely no training at this company. You walk around with a team lead for about 2 days then you are thrown to the wolves and expected to fix everything and if you ask for help you don't get it. I was dismissed after being told that I was doing a good job by one manager and then the other manager said I wasn't. I just didn't fit into his "clique." Also, this place is very unsafe, no lock out tag out is ever used, and they had 3 bomb threats in the 2 months that I was there. After the last bomb threat, we were told that we would be the ones searching for the bombs if there was another one. They also work their people 7 days a week for 35-45 days at a time, sometimes longer.

Training is key. Take the time to train people, even if they have some experience. Your machines are a little different than some other places. Don't assume that everyone knows everything. Take time to treat your employees like people who matter, not dogs picked up off the street.