Cardno

Updated January 22, 2015
Updated January 22, 2015
2.6

Graham Yerbury

Pros
  • Interesting projects and good people to work with on a daily basis (in 5 reviews)

• The variety of projects I was involved in was pretty good (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't care about their employees anymore (in 7 reviews)

• Lots of pressure to perform on your own the Business development staff is very weak (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good experience with and up and coming company.

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Cardno full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Challenging, room for growth and development

Cons

Big corporate feel with not a lot of administrative support

Provide better administrative support to technical staff.

I was an Operations and Maintenance Field technician.

Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Petaluma, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Petaluma, CA

I worked at Cardno full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good training, exciting job sites, safe work environment stressed, travel (per diem) and where I worked, we mostly all got along well. Christmas (holiday) parties were nice. Overtime pay makes up for lower salary. This was until I left in 2010.

Cons

ERI was being bought out by a larger Cardno in 2010, and things started to change from a small company feel to big company games.
    The pay was at the lower end of the spectrum (for my position) while I was there.
    In order to get contracts, ERI under bid some projects.

A Certain branch manager used intimidation to get his job done. When this didn't work, some people found themselves out of a job.

Good place to start career

Current Employee - Senior Staff Scientist in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Scientist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Cardno full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed work environment, opportunity to learn new things, good work/life balance, opportunity for overtime

Cons

High turnover and different divisions have trouble working together

New Environmental Manager at Virginia Beach office ruining everyone's experience there

I worked at Cardno as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have a good housekeeper.

Cons

Micromanagement. Utterly no team spirit. Poor pay. If you had the idea to work in Environmental, please do yourself a favor and stay away.

Treat scientists like they have minds. Make the new Environmental Manager stop micromanaging the experienced staff who have been working hard to try to maximize profits. They are telling me they want to jump ship..

Fun but Irritating

Former Employee - Assistant Staff Scientist
    Former Employee - Assistant Staff Scientist

I worked at Cardno full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Variety of jobs, option to travel, good people.

Cons

Beware the office culture if you are a field scientist (biologist/archaeologist) Office culture is out of touch with field workers and their needs. Even if on an individual level they do their best to accommodate you while in the field, the guidelines for expense reimbursement and inconsistencies in what is reimburseable are quite a hassle.

Simplify your expense reporting and provide opportunities for junior level employees to learn and grow. Trust us. We are capable of more than you give us credit for. Pay should increase/decrease with performance reviews. Unfortunately, this is not the case,

worst managed company i have ever worked for even 10 years after.

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cardno full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pending your department you have greater access to resources. with the company card your free to purchase as you like and bill it client. the company does offer stock. working with many different managers.

Cons

my project was 3 years long and so much mismanagement happened that they lost the contract. they tried to optimize profits with little regard to the client. we had a non-technical manager lead a department of data analyst and SQL. bad choices.

hope to get brought out.

Not the Time to Be Working at Cardno

I have been working at Cardno full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large corporation that managed to weather the economic storm of 2008 - present. Strong suite of services (some are commendable).

Cons

May be a good company to work for - in about five years. This is a word of warning to potential employees: Let the dust settle before you risk working for a company that's still trying to find its north star. Top management talks a good talk, but it becomes clear after the gloss fades that their lofty goals are based on dollars in their back pockets, with no anticipated trickle-down effect to the workers. Vertical accountability with no teamwork makes for a difficult work environment. If you need professional mentoring, look elsewhere. It's every man/woman for him/herself right now.

We see potential "lifetime" career-minded employees at all levels jumping ship. Your growth goals are impressive, getting there with your current employees would be much more impressive. Blaming your missed company-wide goals on the economic environmental has become a lame (worn-out) excuse. Blaming it on the reduction of an environmental-response (i.e. short term) project makes you appear short-sighted. Blaming it on the weather makes you appear that you didn't know how to "save for a rainy day."

Good

I have been working at Cardno full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

amount of work too much for one person

Cons

team members aren't that friendly

Cardno ENTRIX

I have been working at Cardno full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Time off package and salaries seem to be above average. Employees are encouraged to work on their own.
    Education is a must...they are interested in top talent. Flexible office hours and relaxed office attire.

Cons

Very unorganized different divisions have different procedures. Management practices favoritism. HR is useless in the effort of reporting management issues. It's every employee for themselves there is very little team work and they don't seem to want to change. Employees are very territorial. Management does not communicate well, especially individually. This company has a lot of staff unhappy and they have no one to turn to. You can not bring issues up for fear of losing your job. This s a male dominated company that has a long way to go to change. Lots of pressure to perform on your own the Business development staff is very weak.

Talk to your employees, let them be honest. The work needs to be distributed evenly and fairly. Managers need to be better trained. The company needs to work harder at recognizing their female talent.

Unrealistic Expectations

Former Employee - Senior Professional in Wellington, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Professional in Wellington, FL

I worked at Cardno full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most people are open, honest and a joy to work with. Company has the connections to provide a wide variety of professional opportunities.

Cons

Some people intentionally block your success as they are unsure of their own security within the company. As a result very talented people wind up leaving instead of fighting the "uphill" battle trying to succeed as a team.

Choose your managers and leaders more wisely.