Care UK

Updated December 7, 2014
Updated December 7, 2014
3.2

Mike Parish

Working for Care UK has been an amazing and very rewarding experience, I would recommend working here to my friends.

Current Employee - Life Skills Support Worker in Haywards Heath, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Life Skills Support Worker in Haywards Heath, England (UK)

I have been working at Care UK full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The staff are amazing, friendly and so helpful and mindful of each other.
    If you want to improve a process or activities with residents your opinion and ideas are always considered. You have your own voice.
    Training is regular and encouraged. If you wish to complete a qualification, Care UK will support you.

Cons

We are not paid for our breaks and do not have any enticing benefits.
    Sometimes it can take quite a while for new equipment to arrive once we have reported a fault.
    I would like to see more interaction with residents who are not as fortunate as others to have family visit them.

I would like to see more interaction and activities carried out with residents who are not as fortunate as others to have family visit them regularly if at all.

It was good

Former Employee - Health Care Assistant in Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Health Care Assistant in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I worked at Care UK as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Staff and co workers
    Great as a start/introductory job

Cons

Deal with all queries
    Expected to know and do everything if you are new
    I was travelling far and they would not help cover my travel expenses.

For apprenticeshisp -Help with travel expenses.

them and us attitude in Edinburgh

Current Employee - Care Support Worker in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Care Support Worker in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Care UK full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

clients great. new staff phone's so less burden to use own mobile for work related tasks. plus logging in and out at clients made easier.

Cons

poor communication from office. no information passed when there is issues. training hard to deal with when ur due to finnish a client and start training at same time and have to bus to get into office

change required

Generally pretty good

I have been working at Care UK part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, training taken very seriously, pay rate is good

Cons

Don't always feel supported by management

Staffing levels: service users are not just numbers. If a unit has 3 empty beds please don't just veto the use of agency staff to bring the numbers up to quota; the needs of the service users MUST be part of the equations e.g. high dependency, challenging behaviour, need for 15 minute observation etc.

disappointing

Former Employee - Staff Nurse
    Former Employee - Staff Nurse

I worked at Care UK full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am sure things vary from organisation to organisation, and I can see that to n extent the company is trying to create a positive corporate image, which is only possible if the services are good. But I felt that it was very clear that empoyees were not valued.

Cons

Lack of organisation, and a preference for form over function.
    I worked at a new care home, and it was woefully badly designed - it looked great for residents, and visitors were very impressed, but it was so difficult to work in. Only ONE staff toilet for up to 40 staff. A tiny staff room.
    It was also a farce preparing for the opening. But any and all complaints/concerns were ignored or just patronisingly pushed to the side.
    Working for Care UK made me ill

Think about the ACTUAL realities of working with people who have complex health and mental issues. Its all very well to promise the earth to ervice users, but then to leave your staff without the ability to meet these promises means they are the ones who get abuse.
    More supervision of unit managers.
    And prepare more carefully for new builds.

Pay was ok but they grind every last ounce of energy out of you to get what they want

Former Employee - HA in Ipswich, England (UK)
    Former Employee - HA in Ipswich, England (UK)

I worked at Care UK

Pros

Pay was good and the job was ok if you don't fester there too long. Some good people there and every tenth shift was fun

Cons

The system was unsafe with many frustrating pitfalls. Try and alert higher staff to sort issues and nothing happens. Numerous unsafe processes and procedures, but hey who cares if a patient dies as long as Care UK is covered. A heavy discomfort about fleecing NHS money to fund this company to provide a st service. Inadequate training and staff so tired they were regularly stressed and unpleasant. Work here BETWEEN other jobs, not as a permanent job. Get yourself out of a financial hole then get the hell out of there before the job gets you.

Channels of communication needed from staff on the ground who do the work to tell Directors what's really going on. Because you guys probably don't have a clue. Get the information, action it, then improve things. Middle management toe the line and very quickly stop giving a st once they realise they cannot change anything. I checked FAME account site, and you're all on 150K yet you don't have a clue what's going on down there. Working for CARE UK is pretty close to working in hell although somedays when the aircon isn't working I'd say it's hotter.

Not great- No appreciation of staff.

I worked at Care UK full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have some brilliant staff and lovely service users, when things run right then it's great.

Cons

There is absolutely no appreciation for staff, there's no gratitude for what people do. Salaries are bad, there's no benefits or bonuses for staff either.

My experience at Care UK was good

Former Employee - Appointment Coordinator in Southampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Appointment Coordinator in Southampton, England (UK)

I worked at Care UK part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The staff were friendly and welcoming, the hours were manageable, the pay was good and the work was straight forward and rewarding

Cons

There wasn't an awful lot of training, you were expected to get on with the job, I learnt more from my colleagues than my employer

Opportunities for promotion and progression within the company would not have gone a miss. I was co-ordinating hospital appointments but felt I had a lot more to offer the company than what I was.

I was very happy and loved working for Care UK

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Exeter, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Exeter, England (UK)

I worked at Care UK full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good SMT, Mike Parish is very approachable, they like to focus on quality, they would win my vote every time!

Cons

To be honest the only challenges I found were because I was so far away from the rest of the branches we didn't get management visits like other branches did.

Please keep focussing on quality, I was made redundant from Care UK last year sadly. I moved to a new company and hate it so have decided to leave the Care Industry completely.

enjoyable,exciting,rewarding,loving,caring,my life,my world,changed my life forever

Current Employee - CARER and SUPPORT WORKER for ELDERLY and DISABLED in Brighton, England (UK)

I have been working at Care UK part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

its rewarding,the company is kind ,caring,considerate,good rates of pay, good training and updates,alot of support,best company around to work for...very imformative

Cons

time off for holidays,long hours,wake nights,emotional, rates of pay and career moves wanting to upgrade to a higher standard,work so hard get no rewards or bonus,s

more pay,people wont work in a care industry doing the hard work we do when they can get the same wage by sitting at a supermarket check out...