Care UK

Updated January 12, 2015
3.1

Mike Parish

My experience at Care UK was good

Former Employee - Appointment Coordinator in Southampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Appointment Coordinator in Southampton, England (UK)

I worked at Care UK part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The staff were friendly and welcoming, the hours were manageable, the pay was good and the work was straight forward and rewarding

Cons

There wasn't an awful lot of training, you were expected to get on with the job, I learnt more from my colleagues than my employer

Opportunities for promotion and progression within the company would not have gone a miss. I was co-ordinating hospital appointments but felt I had a lot more to offer the company than what I was.

enjoyable,exciting,rewarding,loving,caring,my life,my world,changed my life forever

Current Employee - CARER and SUPPORT WORKER for ELDERLY and DISABLED in Brighton, England (UK)

I have been working at Care UK part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

its rewarding,the company is kind ,caring,considerate,good rates of pay, good training and updates,alot of support,best company around to work for...very imformative

Cons

time off for holidays,long hours,wake nights,emotional, rates of pay and career moves wanting to upgrade to a higher standard,work so hard get no rewards or bonus,s

more pay,people wont work in a care industry doing the hard work we do when they can get the same wage by sitting at a supermarket check out...

great company

Current Employee - Home Manager in Halstead, South East England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Home Manager in Halstead, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Care UK full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great system, respect for workers, good staffing levels , great quality

Cons

no pay rise every year

Working for Care UK has been an amazing and very rewarding experience, I would recommend working here to my friends.

Current Employee - Life Skills Support Worker in Haywards Heath, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Life Skills Support Worker in Haywards Heath, England (UK)

I have been working at Care UK full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The staff are amazing, friendly and so helpful and mindful of each other.
    If you want to improve a process or activities with residents your opinion and ideas are always considered. You have your own voice.
    Training is regular and encouraged. If you wish to complete a qualification, Care UK will support you.

Cons

We are not paid for our breaks and do not have any enticing benefits.
    Sometimes it can take quite a while for new equipment to arrive once we have reported a fault.
    I would like to see more interaction with residents who are not as fortunate as others to have family visit them.

I would like to see more interaction and activities carried out with residents who are not as fortunate as others to have family visit them regularly if at all.

Generally pretty good

I have been working at Care UK part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, training taken very seriously, pay rate is good

Cons

Don't always feel supported by management

Staffing levels: service users are not just numbers. If a unit has 3 empty beds please don't just veto the use of agency staff to bring the numbers up to quota; the needs of the service users MUST be part of the equations e.g. high dependency, challenging behaviour, need for 15 minute observation etc.

I was very happy and loved working for Care UK

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Exeter, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Exeter, England (UK)

I worked at Care UK full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good SMT, Mike Parish is very approachable, they like to focus on quality, they would win my vote every time!

Cons

To be honest the only challenges I found were because I was so far away from the rest of the branches we didn't get management visits like other branches did.

Please keep focussing on quality, I was made redundant from Care UK last year sadly. I moved to a new company and hate it so have decided to leave the Care Industry completely.

Difficult job, but rewarding

Current Employee - Support Worker in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Support Worker in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Care UK full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Perkz employee discounts is a small but appreciated token. The pay is more than decent, and there are plenty of hours available to work.

Cons

It is stressful, not a huge support framework to help you in the beginning but rather you have to learn a lot by yourself, and it can be very psychologically demanding.

Implement the Common Induction Standard. It's there, use it.

Ups and Downs

Former Employee - Nurse in Ponteland, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Nurse in Ponteland, England (UK)

I worked at Care UK full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pro-active in staff training for HCAs and to a degree for qualified staff. Qualified pay is reasonable.
    Better overall than many of its competitors.

Cons

Qualified staff have to wear pink, which for most male nurses is not really appropriate.
    Very poor at responding to complaints of harassment/bullying by Home Managers towards staff.

Get a grip!

The staff are great, always helpful and easy to get along with.

I have been working at Care UK part-time

Pros

My manager of two years has been one of the best I've worked with. He has been supportive and accomodated new ideas. Most importantly he made staff feel important. I may have been lucky to have a great manager who has influenced me but I generallylike the management.

Cons

Some organisational practices can improve, although the company has started to improve practices. Recently, a few strict rules and procedures have been put in place that have made for some less convinientprocedures. However, nothig too alarming.

It was good

Former Employee - Health Care Assistant in Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Health Care Assistant in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I worked at Care UK as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Staff and co workers
    Great as a start/introductory job

Cons

Deal with all queries
    Expected to know and do everything if you are new
    I was travelling far and they would not help cover my travel expenses.

For apprenticeshisp -Help with travel expenses.