Care UK

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mike Parish

Not great- No appreciation of staff.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey have some brilliant staff and lovely service users, when things run right then it's great.

ConsThere is absolutely no appreciation for staff, there's no gratitude for what people do. Salaries are bad, there's no benefits or bonuses for staff either.

Good work-life balance but a fair few management and administration issues

Support Worker (Current Employee) Bristol, England (UK)

ProsThey were understanding when I needed a month off for exams and allowed me to stop taking on shifts but stay on the books until I had finished. They were quick in writing me a reference for my next job which was great.

ConsI had a fair few issues with getting paid on time. Also I was not told I would be on the base rate, not the specialist rate which I was told I would be, for the 3 month probation period.
    I was never really sure who my manager was. My original one went off sick and then I was never clearly told the replacement and didn't have a list of contact number, names or job titles for the people in the office so I didn't know who I was supposed to speak to about different things.
    There was little in the way of supervision. I worked with a particularly difficult client with specialised care needs but there was no one to give me advice on how to work with the client and to offer strategies for helping her better.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people a list of office contacts and what their jobs are when they start. If your going to offer brain injury care, have someone on the team who is a specialist in brain injury, or at least get contact details for someone who can offer help to give to staff. Offer monthly supervisions, especially in the first 6 months.

abismal

Care Worker (Former Employee) Chester, England (UK)

Prossome very nice continuous care packages.

Conspoor communication, no thought of staff safety, no support for problems, no help on queries or knowledge of a lot of service users care plans, had to travel from Wirral, to north Wales to Chester to Ellesmere port through out the day, no petrol money bursaries for such outrageous journeys. I could go on and on!

Advice to Senior ManagementSort out your managing skills of all aspects of the company!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

shortstaffed in the nursing unit which is very heavy work

Care Worker (Current Employee) Hampton Hill, England (UK)

Prosnone - everybody leaving as they can't cope any more

Conshigh blood pressure, danger of having heart attack

Advice to Senior Managementcover rota

I was very happy and loved working for Care UK

Branch Manager (Former Employee) Exeter, England (UK)

ProsGood SMT, Mike Parish is very approachable, they like to focus on quality, they would win my vote every time!

ConsTo be honest the only challenges I found were because I was so far away from the rest of the branches we didn't get management visits like other branches did.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep focussing on quality, I was made redundant from Care UK last year sadly. I moved to a new company and hate it so have decided to leave the Care Industry completely.

My experience at Care UK was good

Appointment Coordinator (Former Employee) Southampton, England (UK)

ProsThe staff were friendly and welcoming, the hours were manageable, the pay was good and the work was straight forward and rewarding

ConsThere wasn't an awful lot of training, you were expected to get on with the job, I learnt more from my colleagues than my employer

Advice to Senior ManagementOpportunities for promotion and progression within the company would not have gone a miss. I was co-ordinating hospital appointments but felt I had a lot more to offer the company than what I was.

enjoyable,exciting,rewarding,loving,caring,my life,my world,changed my life forever

CARER and SUPPORT WORKER for ELDERLY and DISABLED (Current Employee) Brighton, England (UK)

Prosits rewarding,the company is kind ,caring,considerate,good rates of pay, good training and updates,alot of support,best company around to work for...very imformative

Constime off for holidays,long hours,wake nights,emotional, rates of pay and career moves wanting to upgrade to a higher standard,work so hard get no rewards or bonus,s

Advice to Senior Managementmore pay,people wont work in a care industry doing the hard work we do when they can get the same wage by sitting at a supermarket check out...

Painful

Care Worker (Former Employee) Guildford, England (UK)

ProsGood pay. double money for bank holiday

ConsThey muck you about (holidays)
    Not enough time to get from one client to another

great company

Home Manager (Current Employee) Halstead, South East England, England (UK)

Prosgreat system, respect for workers, good staffing levels , great quality

Consno pay rise every year

Advice to Senior Management.

Difficult job, but rewarding

Support Worker (Current Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

ProsPerkz employee discounts is a small but appreciated token. The pay is more than decent, and there are plenty of hours available to work.

ConsIt is stressful, not a huge support framework to help you in the beginning but rather you have to learn a lot by yourself, and it can be very psychologically demanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement the Common Induction Standard. It's there, use it.

Worked for Care UK? Contribute to the Community!