Care.com

Care.com – “Care.com HQ”

Care.com Founder & CEO Sheila Lirio Marcelo

Sheila Lirio Marcelo

Wonderfully rewarding experience.

I have been working at Care.com

ProsReally smart people, fantastic leaders, fast pace.

ConsThere is pressure to perform day in and day out. Not necessarily a con if you don't mind it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work. Love the company parties!

Good learning experience

Intern (Former Employee)
Waltham, MA

I worked at Care.com as an intern for less than a year

ProsIt was a fun environment that gave me a good understanding of the software development process and some valuable programming knowledge.

ConsNo cons come to mind

Dream job/company slowly turned into a nightmare. MANY current and former employees would back that up. GUARANTEED.

Waltham, MA

I worked at Care.com full-time for more than a year

ProsSome really great people...company with amazing potential. Flexible schedule. Casual dress.

ConsAbsolutely no help or support from HR if you have a problem or personal concern. Several people who thought they were above everyone. Some VERY PRETENTIOUS people. Also they hire mostly people under 25. Felt like high school much of the time. Ridiculous.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing because they don't listen.

Great place to work

Marketing (Current Employee)
Waltham, MA

I have been working at Care.com full-time

ProsSmart, nice, fun people. Good teamwork and open office environment. No a**holes policy. Senior management is aggressive, has big vision for future of company, and puts a lot of emphasis on culture and people. Top performers seem to get promoted quickly. Pay seems competitive.

ConsWish it were in Boston or Cambridge instead of Waltham; no easy public transportation access. But if you live in the western burbs it's convenient. Hours can be intense at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementLots of ambitious people here. Keep focusing on creating growth opportunities for stars as the company grows.

Supportive and welcoming.

Membercare (Current Employee)

I have been working at Care.com part-time

ProsI work in a remote work from home position and the flexibility they allow for scheduling makes a huge difference. They work hard to get us the infomraiton we need, and to keep us connected with was is going on at the main office.

ConsWorking remotely always has both the positives and negatives for it, but they do a great job making this a good work environment.

Awesome!!

QA Intern (Current Employee)
Waltham, MA

I have been working at Care.com as an intern for less than a year

ProsFriendly co-workers
Free food
Open/transparent work culture

ConsLess salary compared to similar jobs

Great flexible work option for stay-at-home moms

I worked at Care.com part-time

ProsThey offer a flexible schedule, ongoing training and support. You definitely feel like part of a community even though you are working remotely, which is very rare.

ConsUnfortunately for me the salary was too low. I know as a general rule it's hard to find good paying, work-from-home opportunities. But I probably would have stayed with them longer if I were making more.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue making yourselves available to employees. That level of support is appreciated.

Software Engineer

I worked at Care.com full-time

ProsVery good learning experience. You will get exposure to wide range of technologies and systems. Experience at Care will definitely adds a lot to your skill set if you are a Developer or a QA engineer.
Fun work culture and people are very nice

ConsExtreme startup culture which means tons of work and very rigid dead lines. Also little underpaid as compared to similar positions on the market. Open office which means no cubicles which can be a big problem for those used to cubicles and calm work place environment.

Young? Single? Prepared to be overworked and unpaid. Care.com does not care about you.

I have been working at Care.com full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are some amazing people you will meet at Care.com. There are company meetings often and the management keeps you in the know.

ConsBecause priorities and teams get juggled, your job will change... a lot. The management expects you to do ten jobs. When a new hire comes on, you are supposed to train them and do your ten jobs and the middle associates lives are hell. It's not fast-paced, it's warp speed. They keep hiring VPs, stretching the middle, and "cutting costs" by removing hard working employees.

There is NO career path that makes sense. Promotions don't seemed earned.

If you are young, single/married with no kids, expect to work your tail off. You will be there 7-9 and not get compensated for it. Their salaries are comical and many good candidates (who we desperately need) laugh at the salary. Culture isn't everything - and the culture is beginning to stink.

If you don't drink the kool-aid and see what's going on, you'll want to leave. Care.com isn't there for its customers and it's not there for its employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop stretching those in the middle! And spoiler alert - you have hired a**holes. You let good people go, keep the jerks, and the rest of us panic.

Find someone who can run senior care rather than have us watch another person take it over and it continue to fail or discontinue it. How many people have led senior care and left? We're not as dumb as you think.

Collaborative, passionate, and challenging environment

I have been working at Care.com full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people are very smart and have very high standards for themselves. This is one of the hardest-working and smartest group of people I have ever worked with. At the same time, people work really well together in a collaborative environment. Politics and turf battles are rare. Instead of competing with each other, people work well together and compete against common goals.

ConsThe hours can be long. Work/life balance is sometimes hard to maintain.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation and benefits should be more competitive, especially since the office is located in Waltham, instead of Boston's Innovation District or Kendall Square.

Worked for Care.com? Contribute to the Community!

Care.com – Why Work for Us?

Care is a global need without geographic or demographic boundaries. At some point, every person and every family will have care needs, whether for children, seniors, pets or even homes.  Our mission is to be there… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Care.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Care.com CEO Sheila Lirio Marcelo. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Care.com employees.