Care.com Reviews

Sheila Lirio Marcelo

1. Great company, low pay

Current Employee - Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Care.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They really try to make you feel happy

Cons

High volume, low pay... a little bit clicky

Keep up the good work

2. Great babysitting children and great parents.

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I have been working at Care.com

Pros

You get to bond with the kids and really care for them. The parents are very flexible with your schedule and treat you as part of the family.

Cons

No matter what your doing, taking care of the kids is your first priority.

3. 4 yrs in the making, great company, great experience. Working here helped leap frog into the next adventure

Former Employee - BD, Sales in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - BD, Sales in Waltham, MA

I worked at Care.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture is terrific, it's true, you have to put into it to get something out of it. Employees help define the culture. HR staff is terrific and really promote open door policy. If you don't take advantages of the people around you than you are missing out. You may have to seek out help, guidance in finding your career path, it will not be handed to you...but nothing is. Very friendly, inspiring people to work with and surround yourself with.

Cons

Career paths are not always clear. Make sure you are communicating at all times with your manager about goals and personal career path. Have clear objections, understand your role and what is expected of you...if you don't know, ask.

Continue listening to employees, promote creation and outside box thinking. There is always room for improvement and outside voices should be heard, even if they are not directly tied to that particular internal group.

5. Awesome Company!

Former Employee - QA Intern in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - QA Intern in Waltham, MA

I worked at Care.com

Pros

Awesome work culture. CEO is amazing, friendly. Good personal growth

Cons

None. May be travel during winter.

You are awesome!

6. 50% support 50% procedural programming

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Care.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employees of the company really care for their clients
    They do fun outtings and events from time to time
    CEO and Senior Director are outstanding people and a great vision
    They provide benefits that are pro family
    Birthdays and anniversaries are celebrated with tasty treats.

Cons

black box testing environment
    No career advancement
    Time micromanagement
    When on support you stay until the job is done, which can go well into the evening
    Can't eat at desk

Be true to what the role is you seek for the company and the people applying
    Take time out to make a sound application
    Break up dev roles by creating a support role
    Get on the unit test bandwagon

Horrible Business Policies

Former Freelancer - Pet Sitter in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Freelancer - Pet Sitter in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Care.com

Pros

Nothing for honest people.

Cons

I recently discovered that my account had been closed/deactivated. Upon investigation I found out that the company had closed my account without my knowledge due to a background check that I agreed to pay for over a year ago. Keep in mind I was able to access my account until November 2014 when I last logged in. I did not see any email notifications that my account was going to be closed in either the my accounts email with the site or my personal email that my account was linked to. Apparently the site claims that I was notified via email in December that my account was going to be closed due to a finding on my background check that was done again over a year prior to this. I never received an email from the company. I recently contacted the site in March of 2015 when I found out that my account was deleted/inactivate…the reason I was given was due to my traffic violation in 2007. Seriously, a traffic violation in 2007?????That is why they closed my account; I have no other traffic violations or anything else on my background report. Never before have I been treated like a criminal in my life. So in-other words don’t do a background check with the company, because they will close your account with any finding including minor traffic violations years and years prior. It doesn’t even matter if you have a clean record since. Trust me if this was an issue, the state would not of allowed me to receive a specific certification/permit, I would not have my license, nor would I have been able to work at the CRO that I currently work for.
        I truly do not understand this decision, and when asked what I could do ….I was told nothing, and that my account was permanently deactivated due to a traffic violation in 2007. I wasn’t even allowed to talk to safety or anyone regarding the issue. The person I talked to said they were a manger, but I highly doubt that, just by the persona that was relayed. The only reason I even signed up for the account and did the background check, is because I had nothing to hide, and I wanted to help out others with their animal care needs as well. Now this privilege has been revoked, and never to return at their site…due to a MINOR TRAFFIC VIOLATION in 2007.
    My suggestion to those thinking about joining this site is not to, and especially do not do the background check if you have anything including minor traffic tickets on your account, because it will be a waste of money and the outcome will be of them closing your account.

Take a closer look to the background checks and modify your policy regarding them.

Care.com is a great place to work for!

I worked at Care.com

Pros

Great place to work for young professionals, Great culture(friendly co-workers), very smart people, gaming room, and people from different countries :)

Cons

everything worked out great for me, no cons.

Terrible CEO Completely Contradictory to Company Mission

Former Employee - Public Relations Manager in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Public Relations Manager in Waltham, MA

I worked at Care.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers (amid middle management) are amazing. At the executive level, that statement does not apply.

Cons

Business model, tanking stock, fake, awful CEO who fosters a culture of fear and micromanagement among senior executives while presenting a public image of compassion and transparency. Company attempts to act like a startup but is not agile, fast or innovative in its business model or technology. Alienated customer base constantly looking for ways to remove themselves from the ecosystem. Mobile product offerings are about 7 years behind startup competitors.

Vote "no confidence" in Sheila Lirio Marcelo or learn to stand up to her unreasonable expectations.

10. Great teamwork mentality, but to many meetings

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Waltham, MA

I worked at Care.com

Pros

Hierarchy doesn't matter at all, very open communication and decision making. No matter on what level you are, you will always be involved in decision making, and strategy meetings. Great work-life balance!

Cons

To many meetings, which makes it sometimes hard to finish the days work on time. It is also not very welcomed that you as employee come in on the weekend to finish up work.

Less meetings with fewer people, that would make the company overall much more efficient

11. Fun, focused atmosphere

I have been working at Care.com

Pros

Happy, dynamic place to work. Room for growth. Great leadership. Fun perks (summer Fridays, mani Wednesdays)

Cons

Fast growth is hard to keep up with new faces