Care.com Reviews

Reset
3.8
Care.com Founder & CEO Sheila Lirio Marcelo
Sheila Lirio Marcelo

Pros
  • They offer a flexible schedule, ongoing training and support (in 3 reviews)

• Senior management is aggressive, has big vision for future of company, and puts a lot of emphasis on culture and people (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • It's not uncommon for people to work 7 days a week for horribly low pay (in 2 reviews)

• You are largely on your own and their are no benefits like insurance (in 2 reviews)

1. Collaborative Environment, Quality Teams

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Care.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company does a lot for its employees. All full-time positions start with full benefits, unlimited sick time, and 3 weeks pro-rated vacation time. I fully believe that the company goes above and beyond to promote the well-being of its employees because I've seen it happen, and applaud how forward-thinking and supportive management is. There is recognition for doing a good job, no shortage of interesting projects, plenty of room to grow if you're willing to prove yourself, and a culture of inclusion. My favorite thing about the company is the people; being around nice, ambitious, mission-driven, competent co-workers is the most inspiring thing for me.

Cons

The only trouble is sustainable engagement. There's so much going on that if you refuse to be accountable for maintaining your own work/life balance, you may experience burn-out. But as long as you set limits, prioritize, and ask for help when you need it, you'll keep growing at the rate you need to keep up, because the company isn't slowing down.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring awesome people.

Great Entry level role

I worked at Care.com full-time

Pros

It's a great entry level position to get into the company. You can learn a lot about other departments, but you have to really put the work in and push for it if you want to succeed and grow in the company. It's a great team to be on, and the company has a great culture. They are big on communication and transparency, although as a call center rep you do sometimes feel like the rest of the company forgets about you. Sheila is amazing and you can tell she is really really passionate about the values of the company!

Cons

Calls come in non stop which can get very stressful and can bog you down. There tends to be a high turnover rate in this position. The pay is barely enough, especially if you are living in the city.

Stay Away from High School Drama

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at Care.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Met some great people
    - Unlimited sick days

Cons

- Being on the Phone all day
    - Pay is ABSOLUTELY terrible, kept promising commission, never happened.
    - Management on Member Care lacks direction and experience
    - Very high turnover rate and do not care about their employees
    - Top performers do not get rewarded or recognized
    - Hard work in this department gets you nowhere, they play favorites
    - High School environment with all the Drama
    - Team Leads/Supervisors will throw you under the bus to make themselves look better
    - The Call Center has no windows, they really want to give you that being in prison feel.
    - No Career Path
    - Get told to speak up if you have an issue, but then you get shunned for it

Advice to Management

Get Rid of the Upper Management in Member Care and change the toxic environment.

A diverse company with capable leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Care.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Care.com is a fast growing company with great leadership and a culture that fosters diversity and growth. Being a member of the LGBT community, diversity is very important to me and Care.com truly embodies diversity across all levels of the organization. I have been working here for a year and have been very impressed with the way Care.com operates. Lead by a CEO who truly cares about not only the health of the business but also about the employees. The c-level team is stellar and offers a high amount of visibility into the business . The energy at Care.com is friendly and inclusive. If you are looking to work for a company where you will feel like a valued member of team, have the opportunity to grow in your job, feel appreciated and enjoy some great benefits, consider Care.com!

Cons

Nothing that would be worth mentioning here

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Your vision and plan of execution are working.

Nice company to have on your resume. Don't plan on building a career.

I worked at Care.com full-time

Pros

Great team. People are collaborative and fun to work with. Overall footprint with consumer is huge. Great brand - talk to any parent and they have used Care.com or either have heard of it.

Cons

Lack of mobility. Senior management does not grow their people. They are more interested in hiring from outside instead of rewarding and growing internal talent. In my time at care I saw a number of very talented people whose work was never recognized and they had to leave the company to grow their careers. Questionable senior hires. The previous poster is misguided in the sense that the issue is not race but the quality of hire.

Advice to Management

Quit falling for the grass is always greener on the other side syndrome. Senior leadership should should grow their internal talent otherwise it would be a really long term problem. People will join care to get a short term career boost and leave.

7. Great company and strong vision from leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Care.com (More than a year)

Pros

Care.com is a great place to work and learn from co-workers who are simple superb. Everyone I have interacted so far in the past 1+ years are very knowledgeable and willing to help co-workers to get started. The management team Vision is very clear and transparent by constantly communicating to the employees. Overall I am very happy to work for a great company!

Cons

Nothing that I could think of which might be helpful to others. I would definitely mention it hear if anything worth mentioning.

Advice to Management

Please continue to do the great work that you guys are doing already. The company communication meetings are great way to inform the employees about what's going on. Not many companies are doing that and Care.com is definitely standing out from others.

8. Highly Motivated and Intelligent CEO!

I have been working at Care.com full-time

Pros

Great benefits and lots of flexibility for working mom's!

Cons

Job can be somewhat repetitive.

Advice to Management

Allow supervisees to evaluate their Supervisors on an annual basis.

Beware of care.com!!

Former Employee - Virtual Customer Service Representative in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Virtual Customer Service Representative in Waltham, MA

I worked at Care.com

Pros

At first it seems extremely easy-going and laidback; they offer these interesting perks in the beginning: free massages on Mondays, first manicure for free at manicube, free snacks, and reassuring as well as positive feedback.

Cons

Then the other shoe finally drops and the fugazi suddenly lifts and this is when reality finally hits: the company is led by inexperienced twenty-somethings that constantly contradict each other and even themselves when it comes to everything from company policies to training schedules to even the rate of pay which became lower than what was put in their online job description.They preach that their first priority is customer service, but in reality, they care nothing for the customers or employees for that matter, and it is only money that motivates this corporation. Now I understand businesses are in the business to make money, but when their plastic personalities slowly begin to fade away, the ugly truth that they care for no one unless that person is advancing them in some way. Many of the employees throw other employees under the bus to make themselves look better, almost as to ensure their job security. I unfortunately believed the hype, and actually thought I was employed there to help those who are in desperate situations, whether looking for employment or seeking an employee, but instead, I was repeatedly prompted to take advantage of their desperation by taking money from them without providing any real service. I am utterly appalled by how this company operates, and was honestly thankful that I was terminated for helping out a customer with her profile and providing a refund for her frustration only because all the positive feedback I had been receiving had damaged their over-inflated egos. My advice is to stay far away from this company because if you do not take heed, you will end up doing all kinds of work that was never included in the job description without being compensated for all your hard work.

Advice to Management

Hire more qualified individuals that are all on the same page so their subordinates aren't being told contradictory information because all it does it sets your employees up for failure.

Be Your Own Advocate

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Care.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Care.com is mission driven and focused on solving a really important issue for families and especially working moms and dads. Care.com is growing fast and that means opportunity for ambitious and talented people. There is an opportunity to build culture and leave your mark in this company. Innovation and entrepreneurial thought is valued.

Cons

Fast growth means that you have to be flexible and keep the picture in mind. While Care.com is now public, it is still only 8 years old and you have to be willing to work in a different way than you do in a well-established company. Care.com is still learning and rolling out management tools, technology and career development training to help employees grow, but if you don't advocate for yourself, build relationships across the company and get involved, you could find yourself frustrated that the red carpet isn't rolled out for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to create management trainings about how to manage your own career and development. Create a opt-in mentoring program and some cross-functional discussion groups on career development and working parent survival strategies. Make sure all senior managers understand current initiatives and are cohesive in how they talk about issues and values.

11. fast growth!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Care.com (More than 5 years)

Pros

culture, mission, co-workers, transparency, fun

Cons

you have to want to work hard (not a con, a caution)

RSS Feed </> Embed