Care.com

Care.com Founder & CEO Sheila Lirio Marcelo

Sheila Lirio Marcelo

Example

Babysitter (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWebsite is good for caretakers.

ConsNothing bad to say about it.

Good start, bad finish.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsThe engineering team is always current on new technologies and integrating new ones. It's a highly competent team, but they think they're quite a bit better than they are.

ConsYou're there to work and work and that's it. Don't even think about trying to make suggestions about any ways to improve anything. You'll be told in no uncertain terms that you're there to code and that's it. It's also like a good old boy network, if you worked with them in a previous company, you're golden, if not, you're just a code monkey.
    You should also not expect to have a life, if you don't want to put in 50-60 hours minimum, you won't fit in.
    Pay is very low for work expected, which is why so much of the team is outsourced.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to all the employees, not the favored inner circle. So many people have ideas and are ignored. Get some diversity of work backgrounds. It seems like half the company all worked together previously.

Great place to work and grow your career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsGreat visionaries in senior management, including Sheila who inspires me every day. "Fun force" is a great way to relax and they have fun events planned sprinkled throughout the year.

ConsWish it were in downtown / Cambridge so it would be closer to good eats.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderfully rewarding experience.

ProsReally smart people, fantastic leaders, fast pace.

ConsThere is pressure to perform day in and day out. Not necessarily a con if you don't mind it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work. Love the company parties!

Good learning experience

Intern (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsIt was a fun environment that gave me a good understanding of the software development process and some valuable programming knowledge.

ConsNo cons come to mind

Dream job/company slowly turned into a nightmare. MANY current and former employees would back that up. GUARANTEED.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsSome really great people...company with amazing potential. Flexible schedule. Casual dress.

ConsAbsolutely no help or support from HR if you have a problem or personal concern. Several people who thought they were above everyone. Some VERY PRETENTIOUS people. Also they hire mostly people under 25. Felt like high school much of the time. Ridiculous.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing because they don't listen.

Great place to work

Marketing (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsSmart, nice, fun people. Good teamwork and open office environment. No a**holes policy. Senior management is aggressive, has big vision for future of company, and puts a lot of emphasis on culture and people. Top performers seem to get promoted quickly. Pay seems competitive.

ConsWish it were in Boston or Cambridge instead of Waltham; no easy public transportation access. But if you live in the western burbs it's convenient. Hours can be intense at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementLots of ambitious people here. Keep focusing on creating growth opportunities for stars as the company grows.

Supportive and welcoming.

Membercare (Current Employee)

ProsI work in a remote work from home position and the flexibility they allow for scheduling makes a huge difference. They work hard to get us the infomraiton we need, and to keep us connected with was is going on at the main office.

ConsWorking remotely always has both the positives and negatives for it, but they do a great job making this a good work environment.

Great flexible work option for stay-at-home moms

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey offer a flexible schedule, ongoing training and support. You definitely feel like part of a community even though you are working remotely, which is very rare.

ConsUnfortunately for me the salary was too low. I know as a general rule it's hard to find good paying, work-from-home opportunities. But I probably would have stayed with them longer if I were making more.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue making yourselves available to employees. That level of support is appreciated.

Awesome!!

QA Intern (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsFriendly co-workers
    Free food
    Open/transparent work culture

ConsLess salary compared to similar jobs

Worked for Care.com? Contribute to the Community!