Care.com Reviews

Reset
4.0
Care.com Founder & CEO Sheila Lirio Marcelo
Sheila Lirio Marcelo

Pros
  • They offer a flexible schedule, ongoing training and support (in 3 reviews)

• Senior management is aggressive, has big vision for future of company, and puts a lot of emphasis on culture and people (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • It's not uncommon for people to work 7 days a week for horribly low pay (in 2 reviews)

• You are largely on your own and their are no benefits like insurance (in 2 reviews)

1. Great site

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Care.com as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great and found a lot of work thru their site.

Cons

Hard to screen people ahead of time.

Advice to Management

Make it a safe place for both parties.

2. Good place to hear about jobs, yet you are often left without being contacted by those you reach out to

Current Freelancer - Nanny in Laramie, WY
    Current Freelancer - Nanny in Laramie, WY

I have been working at Care.com (More than a year)

Pros

It presents a lot of possible jobs in many different fields

Cons

Lack of communication from potential employers so you are left unsure as to whether they need your help or not

3. Pretty Cool

Current Freelancer - Babysitter in Dallas, TX
    Current Freelancer - Babysitter in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Care.com (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible, very fun to do if you love kids, and it pays well.

Cons

Parents who can be a little overbearing with their kids.

Advice to Management

You're doing good,

5. Design Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Care.com as an intern

Pros

The creative team was incredibly supportive, inclusive and inspiring. I was given great flexibility when choosing which design projects I wished to contribute to and my manager has been an amazing resource for advice and guidance ever since my internship. Everyone I met at Care was incredibly warm and welcoming - and surprise Summer Fridays were a huge plus too!

Cons

Seating arrangements for new hires were random so I felt a bit isolated from the team I was working with (who were on a different floor)

6. Collaborative Environment, Quality Teams

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Care.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company does a lot for its employees. All full-time positions start with full benefits, unlimited sick time, and 3 weeks pro-rated vacation time. I fully believe that the company goes above and beyond to promote the well-being of its employees because I've seen it happen, and applaud how forward-thinking and supportive management is. There is recognition for doing a good job, no shortage of interesting projects, plenty of room to grow if you're willing to prove yourself, and a culture of inclusion. My favorite thing about the company is the people; being around nice, ambitious, mission-driven, competent co-workers is the most inspiring thing for me.

Cons

The only trouble is sustainable engagement. There's so much going on that if you refuse to be accountable for maintaining your own work/life balance, you may experience burn-out. But as long as you set limits, prioritize, and ask for help when you need it, you'll keep growing at the rate you need to keep up, because the company isn't slowing down.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring awesome people.

Nice company to have on your resume. Don't plan on building a career.

I worked at Care.com full-time

Pros

Great team. People are collaborative and fun to work with. Overall footprint with consumer is huge. Great brand - talk to any parent and they have used Care.com or either have heard of it.

Cons

Lack of mobility. Senior management does not grow their people. They are more interested in hiring from outside instead of rewarding and growing internal talent. In my time at care I saw a number of very talented people whose work was never recognized and they had to leave the company to grow their careers. Questionable senior hires. The previous poster is misguided in the sense that the issue is not race but the quality of hire.

Advice to Management

Quit falling for the grass is always greener on the other side syndrome. Senior leadership should should grow their internal talent otherwise it would be a really long term problem. People will join care to get a short term career boost and leave.

8. Highly Motivated and Intelligent CEO!

I have been working at Care.com full-time

Pros

Great benefits and lots of flexibility for working mom's!

Cons

Job can be somewhat repetitive.

Advice to Management

Allow supervisees to evaluate their Supervisors on an annual basis.

Be Your Own Advocate

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Care.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Care.com is mission driven and focused on solving a really important issue for families and especially working moms and dads. Care.com is growing fast and that means opportunity for ambitious and talented people. There is an opportunity to build culture and leave your mark in this company. Innovation and entrepreneurial thought is valued.

Cons

Fast growth means that you have to be flexible and keep the picture in mind. While Care.com is now public, it is still only 8 years old and you have to be willing to work in a different way than you do in a well-established company. Care.com is still learning and rolling out management tools, technology and career development training to help employees grow, but if you don't advocate for yourself, build relationships across the company and get involved, you could find yourself frustrated that the red carpet isn't rolled out for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to create management trainings about how to manage your own career and development. Create a opt-in mentoring program and some cross-functional discussion groups on career development and working parent survival strategies. Make sure all senior managers understand current initiatives and are cohesive in how they talk about issues and values.

10. 4 yrs in the making, great company, great experience. Working here helped leap frog into the next adventure

Former Employee - BD, Sales in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - BD, Sales in Waltham, MA

I worked at Care.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture is terrific, it's true, you have to put into it to get something out of it. Employees help define the culture. HR staff is terrific and really promote open door policy. If you don't take advantages of the people around you than you are missing out. You may have to seek out help, guidance in finding your career path, it will not be handed to you...but nothing is. Very friendly, inspiring people to work with and surround yourself with.

Cons

Career paths are not always clear. Make sure you are communicating at all times with your manager about goals and personal career path. Have clear objections, understand your role and what is expected of you...if you don't know, ask.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to employees, promote creation and outside box thinking. There is always room for improvement and outside voices should be heard, even if they are not directly tied to that particular internal group.

Great service for the self-employed!

Current Freelancer - Tutor in Columbus, OH
    Current Freelancer - Tutor in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Care.com (More than a year)

Pros

I love the fact that the clients and tutors are prescreened.

Cons

I wish people would be more specific in the scheduling area.

RSS Feed </> Embed