CareWorks

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

William W. Pfeiffer

Great company to work for

Absence Management Specialist (Current Employee)
    Dublin, OH

ProsDedicated clients and caseload, system is very user friendly, room for advancement, standard office environment but without micromanaging.

ConsI'd like to see more vacation time given and the have the option of working a 4x10 schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think more effort needs to be made in hiring the right person for the job. Someone doesn't necessarily need prior claim experience as long as they have the drive to learn.

Company in Chaos

Case Specialist (Former Employee)
    Dublin, OH

ProsThis company has great benefits and many long time employees who are very experienced. They have been around for twenty years and are very helpful. Most of them have had the same jobs a very long time, the promotion and growth for many people is not evident.

ConsThe Senior Management is in controversy all the time, the divisions do not cooperate at all, and the new merger has things even more confusing. Best thing to do is not work here till they get new management and their act together.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a competent HR team and run the business like the large company it is vs. still a small company where the Senior Management controls HR. Perhaps with their merger and then purchase things will straighten up once turn over is complete.

Disappointed

Absence Management Specialist (Current Employee)
    Dublin, OH

ProsRelationships with my own group of clients

ConsPretty much everything else. Pay. Location. Unrealistic workload expectations. They keep upping our numbers while leaving us with 1980s technology. A home grown case management system that shuts down 20 times per day. They say they are a "Great Place To Work". I have NO IDEA how they got this title. I feel like I was baited and switched.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company has soooo much potential. But instead of new technology. And treating the employees as actively involved in the company they dictate to us like we are children. The sales staff sells an unrealistic product to the customer, and then us pions have to make it happen. The sales team and upper management are so clueless and disconnected about what goes on in the trenches. Very much a who knows who company. Have seen several qualified internal candidates passed over for former friends of the directors. NO advancement at all. No real input. No real associate happiness. Seriously have never worked at a place where EVERYONE seems miserable. You must sit at your desk all day and produce produce produce. They say we are not a call center, yet, with 50-80 calls per day, we most certainly all. Get a clue management. You are NOT a great place to work. Maybe York will make us better?

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Employee Retention, is it valuable to you?

Absence Management Specialist (Former Employee)
    Dublin, OH

ProsThere weren't any "Pros" to speak of.

ConsEmployees are expendable and trust was lost on all levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementHad I heard these "statements" from management, it would have made a huge difference (I would have remained and retired with this company) but, the company was not into customer/employee retention. Employees were expendable:
    1. "I need your help.” Your employees don't expect you to have all the answers. Rather than lose respect for you as a leader, they'll appreciate that you treated them as valued partners. And they'll feel invested in the company's future.
    2. "How is your family?” People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care. Employees will be more loyal and motivated if they feel valued as individuals, not just as job descriptions. So get to know employees on an individual basis and incorporate that knowledge into your regular interactions.
    3. "What do you need from me?” Employees may be anxious about asking the boss for what they need, whether it's new equipment or time on a project. By asking what you can give them, you extend permission for staff to make those requests.
    4. "Thank you.” Praise, especially when it comes from an authority figure, is incredibly fulfilling. People love to hear positive feedback about themselves, and in most cases, they'll be willing to work harder to keep the compliments and thanks coming.
    5. "Hey, everyone—listen to what Mike accomplished!” Don't stop with a compliment when an employee experiences a big win—tell the rest of the team, too! Verbal praising isn't the only way. Highlight those successes on the company website, newsletters or bulletin board.
    6. "What would you like to do here?” You may have hired employees for a certain job, but as the organization has changed, so have your people. That's why it's good to check in with each one periodically to ask what they'd like to be doing. You may not be able to accommodate every preference, but employees will be happier (and more motivated) when their jobs match their skills.
    7. "What do you think?” Employees who are told what to do (and how to do it) feel like cogs in a machine. To unlock buy-in and achievement, ask them for their opinions, ideas and preferences. Again, they'll be much more invested because they had an active part in creating it.
    8. "Here's where we stand.” Help employees make connections regarding how your company works from top to bottom. It will streamline internal processes, reduce misunderstandings and promote team spirit. Also, make sure everyone understands the relationship between their performance and the bottom line (and, thus, their own pay). Transparency will breed trust.
    9. "That's OK. We all make mistakes. Let's talk about how to fix this.” You shouldn't take mistakes lightly, especially those involving negligence or incompetence. Just remember that mistakes can be part of growth. Take a deep breath and remember the employee feels bad already. Yelling won't change the past. Instead, focus on how to keep the mistake from happening again. Did the employee learn something? Should a process or procedure be tweaked?
    10. "This task is in your hands—I'm stepping back.” Micromanaging and excessive hovering give employees the impression that you don't trust them—a belief that undermines engagement. Once you've delegated a task, step back and let employees do what you've asked them.

Worst Job I've ever had!!

HIM Specialist (Former Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsThe company would occasionally have lunches/ ice cream parties... HIM department would celebrate birthdays, parties for holidays, etc.

ConsThe entire organization is production based. They give you x amount of work, and expect you to be 100% accurate, The HIM department is a complete joke. You aren't allowed to talk to your co workers. You are required to scan x amount of documents per day. They require you to document all of your work on a piece of paper, and at the end of the day, you hand in your sheets to be "scored".... Reminded me a lot of being in school. Worst job ever! Everyone was miserable.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the "production" part of out it. This isn't a factory. And allow people to talk in HIM.... It keeps people sane.

Stressful - they need to pay their employees more!

Case Specialist (Former Employee)
    Dublin, OH

ProsEmployee appreciation days, steady work (job security), nice environment

ConsExtremely stressful, overloaded with work and then scolded if you didn't get everything done. They want to be voted "best place to work" every year, but they won't take input from their staff. Cut benefits of the hard working employees, then turned around and spent all kinds of money on everything else

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. You put a lot on their plate - be more courteous and helpful.

Great place to work but don't expect to mark in any money

ProsThey really care for the employees.

ConsDon't expect to make any money

Advice to Senior ManagementN/a

Hell on earth!

Absence Management Specialist (Former Employee)
    Dublin, OH

Prosice cream once per year

Consoverwhelming workload, no training to speak of, too many manual processes, full 40 hour work week, half-hour lunches, low pay, unresponsive/clueless management, high burnout/turnover rate, no support staff, constant phone calls, people crying at their desks daily, high stress/irate callers, it is a call center even though they tell you in the interview that it's not

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because someone doesn't specifically tell you they are miserable in their job doesn't mean they're not. Invest in some people skills, ask people how they are doing, provide more feedback before things escalate beyond repair. Hire more CSRs. Stop blaming the absence specialists for everything and take some accountability. Here's a clue - AMSs can't answer 60-70 calls per day, print out packets, process paperwork, answer emails, keep the client happy, all by themselves. Learn this, and then maybe you won't see people quitting/burning out after 2 months.

Clueless

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone that I c an speak of. Ice cream will not "fix" the current issues.

ConsPreferential treatment; hostile work environment; no support

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all employees equally, with respect, care, support and acknowledgement of their hard work. Maybe then there will not be such a turnover.

Worked for CareWorks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CareWorks reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CareWorks CEO William W. Pfeiffer. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by CareWorks employees.