Career Advisor

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael Platt

Good Company to Work For If You Can Sell Things

Customer Solutions Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsSet Schedule
    Possibility to Advance
    Good Pay Potential
    If you're able to talk and build good rapport with people, this would be a great position for you. It is NOT customer service though

ConsYou're not really helping people find jobs... you're focused on selling the idea of going back to school. That's where the money is made. If you're not able to talk people into this, you will not survive for long.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the policies more about the behaviors you have with the prospects and not so much about producing the numbers.

Don't be fooled, this is nothing but lies and sales.

Career Advisor (Former Employee)

ProsManagers were nice., break room was fun.

ConsThey try to tell you that your helping people get an education, this is a lie. The people are lead to believe that you are interviewing them for a job, and in the end you end up signing them up for info from colleges that they don't want to hear from. This is a sales position and nothing more.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest when you hire people that this is sales and that most people are tricked into giving you their information by signing up for job search sites.

Don't ask too many questions!

"job specialist" (Current Employee)
    Springfield, MO

ProsGood building, location, other employees, decent pay, everyone appears nice, but it is a facade so you don't ask too many questions.

ConsI worked at "career advisor" for 3 days. I was told the job was not a sales position and that we were helping people find a job and even better, further their education. These were lies. Upon day 2 I began noticing inconsistencies and started asking questions. Completely legitimate questions such as "what is career advisor.com?" "Where do our clients get our number from?" "What schools do we refer them too?" "Do we actually help these people find a good job?" I was never given direct answers so on my third day of training I asked our trainer if he could take us through the website the way a customer experienced it. He couldn't do that because there is no such website in existence. They scam their numbers from other websites. This is a cold sales position simply wrapped in a prettier package and explained away as a way to help people. At the end of my third day I was told I wasn't a good candidate for the position and I didnt need to come back. Only after did I really research what kind of company this is.

Sure it is a decent job, I myself was excited about the opportunities. If you don't have a soul and only care about money, it is a great place to work and grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lie to your employees. The smart ones find out.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The company misleads reps with the job description for customer service reps.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Lenexa, KS

ProsFairly good pay for the type of work performed.

ConsUnlike the job description states, you will not be making warm contacts with prospective students as stated in their ads. The contacts are cold calls. They acquire information from prospective students from job sites such as Monster.com and Job.com. Most of the contacts are only interested in jobs and they become hostile when they find out these websites they've submitted applications on have given away their information.

Advice to Senior ManagementBusiness ethics is not an outdated concept. Establish an honest rapport with potential hires, hired employees and prospective students who you very well know weren't looking to attend school.

Unhappy with performence being graded without considering qulity of calling data.

Lenexa, KS

ProsTo pay the bills its better than no job

ConsMade to feel unneeded, expendable high stress always wondering if I will have a job the next week to provide for my family. Favoratism is rampent. Judged on performance of ability to convert leads without concideration of the source or quality of the calling data. these things obviously contribute to the high turn over rate. The majority of the turn over is caused by people feeling the stress from not meeting the companies extreme expectations. Employees move on to other jobs or simply quit. Some even take jobs with less pay in order to have more job security. Im highly qualified and have an abundance of experience in the field but the favoratism, I have little hope of advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay less attention to promoting people that you are friends with ,review employees leads more extensively when their numbers are sky high, promote people who have a proven track record. Employees are loud, boisterous and perverse and that affects my leads when prospects here those things, and I am supposed to be representing colleges, that makes me and the company appear unprofessional. Take into concideration that the way these leads are obtained are by unemployment web sites and job search sites. These people are stressed beyond belief, when they first get a call from career advisor, their hopes are up for a job opportunity only to be slammed back down and to be offered a way to have to spend money they dont have when they have kids, a behind mortgage a debt collectors calling. They want a job and they get mad for their time being wasted. Find new ways to get leads its a waste of time and money. Many people feel like they are being scammed when they HAVE to fill out the form for career advisor in order to recieve state assistance and they are literally waiting for the chance to chew out a CA.

Worked for Career Advisor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Career Advisor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Career Advisor CEO Michael Platt. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Career Advisor employees.