Career Education
www.careered.com Schaumburg, IL 5000+ Employees

Career Education Reviews

Updated Jun 18, 2014
Career Education – Schaumburg – “The CEC HQ”

Scott W. Steffey

Pros:
  • "It's a solid 40 hours a week and the work/life balance is acceptable"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Great people, good management style overall"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low morale and high employee turnover"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Upper Management approves technology releases without a care for student experience"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Coordinator

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCo-workers were cool, it's a revolving door and unorganized

ConsPay, came on through a temp agency and learned that once converted to perm, the pay does not go up.
    I felt like a telemarketer
    No room for advancement

Lunacy

Business Development Consultant (Current Employee)
    Schaumburg, IL

Prosi loved the idea of working from home. Initially i was attracted to the idea that i would be helping people better their lives through education.

ConsThe company is not managed well. They continue to have very high turn over at the most senior levels, to include CEO COO and CFO. They make uninformed bad decisions and continue to hemorrhage money. They are not able to attract top talent anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorrying about the bottom dollar will keep you in a state of panic. By investing in your employees, morale will pick up and your employees will communicate a better message to the students of your universities. Congress has made it tough on all For Profit institutions, do not point the finger at congress. Pick up your boot straps and ask the employees in the trenches how to solve some of the issues you are facing regarding student retention. Treat the students with more respect.

Mediocre.

Service Desk Technician (Former Employee)
    Elgin, IL

Prosavg wage & benefit pkg

Conssell out good employees / AMERICAN jobs for low-quality and low cost

Advice to Senior Managementkeep jobs in AMERICA!!!!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Boys Club

ProsWe can wear jeans on friday

Consif you arent in the boys club you dont go anywhere

It was overall good experience, but...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOverall, I enjoyed my nearly 3 years with the company. I had a good degree of latitude to be creative, collaborate with peers and work closely with students at the campus level. The salary was competitive, other benefits were standard (nothing spectacular and the health premiums, like many companies, continue to escalate).

ConsIn my estimation, this company is in dire straights. I started with this company in 2011 and by the end of 2012, the campus I worked for - along with many others around the country - were placed into "teach out". This set off a chain of events which, among other hard aspects, was the fact that staff/employee, not to mention student, morale went south quickly. On top of that, they company significantly "right-sized" their workforce by reducing corporate employees drastically (corporate speak for mass layoffs). 2013 was brutal. 2014 looks to be the same.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe big question is: Will there be a CEC in 2015 and what will it look like? I sincerely hope they can figure it out, because I continue to believe that, at the end of the day, the rank-and-file employees, especially at the campus level, took the students and graduates interest to heart.

Great company

Director (Current Employee)
    Schaumburg, IL

ProsGreat opportunity to grow and advance.

ConsIndustry heavily regulated, still challenges ahead.

Good experience

ProsBenefits are good, company values its employees and there are development opportunities

ConsUncertainty in the for-profit industry

Was a positive experience at one time.

Schaumburg, IL

ProsMy time spent working at CTU was good; their leadership team is much more aggressive and forward thinking than many of the other schools or the corporate CEC team. Flexible work schedule.

ConsThe industry went from great to bad very quickly. During my time there I had 3 different bosses within my first 9 months of employment. Many leaders were promoted too quickly without the proper development.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more autonomy to the schools and invest more in the proper development of your employees.

Horrible

Senior Financial Aid Advisor (Current Employee)
    Schaumburg, IL

ProsWe can wear jeans on Fridays. There are some nice people here. Some managers do understand how bad things have gotten here, but their hands are tied, so they cannot do much to help with the low morale.

ConsManagement sees us as replaceable and does not develop their quality employees. Many people take new jobs making less money just to get out. Over the past few years they started a new point system. If you are more than 7 minutes late, you receive a point. If you are 3-7 minutes late three times in a week's period, you also receive a point. You can get fired around 20 points. Management continues to think this is a great idea. Work/life balance is ok because they don't make you stay late. However, the set schedule is bad and you do have to work a Saturday a month. You cannot leave a minute earlier without using your own personal/sick/vacation time. We also have not been able to receive raises in two years due to the company's poor performance. During the same period, the company had a 10 million dollar settlement with New York.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorkers deserve better compensation. Jobs are often changed to new or combined roles that they did not get hired for. Management needs to be more open to their employees ideas. Many become defensive when people suggest better or different ways of doing things.

Sort of impersonal - very large corporation

Marketing (Former Employee)

ProsLots of opportunity for professional development. Flexibility in schedule was great with some telecommuting offered.

ConsNot much of an atmosphere or connection - a big corporate machine.

Worked for Career Education? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Career Education reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Career Education CEO Scott W. Steffey. All 157 reviews posted anonymously by Career Education employees.