Career Education
www.careered.com Schaumburg, IL 5000+ Employees

Career Education Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014
Career Education – Schaumburg – “The CEC HQ”

Scott W. Steffey

Pros:
  • "There is a work life balance respect which I've found hard to find in other companies"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Great people, some of the best ever"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low morale and high employee turnover"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Upper Management approves technology releases without a care for student experience"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Interesting

Audio Instructor (Former Employee)
Nashville, TN

I worked at Career Education part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Program. Freedom to utilize your own teaching style.

ConsCompany has been very unstable.

Lots of uncertainty and changes.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Career Education full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood salary and annual bonuses.

ConsManagers allowed to bully employees.

In this economy, it's a foot in the door. Don't overstay your welcome though...

Financial Aid Advisor (Current Employee)
Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Career Education full-time for more than a year

Pros- Young workforce, good work relationships. Makes the monotonous work seem bearable.
- Working for a Fortune 500 Company looks good on resume
- Extensive training and skills will prepare you for other Administrative positions.
- Good place to start with no college degree.

Cons- Stressful!! You need to hit the ground running right out of training to be successful here.
- Corporate is constantly changing the way things are done, no sense of solidarity between schools/departments
- Federal Regulations are targeting for-profit institutions HARD. 23 school closures and 900 layoffs in the last 6mo with more to come. Today they pushed back annual raises and put a big "?" on them. We might not even get one this year. This is for ALL of CEC.
- Not compensated well for the work we do, stress of the job, working weekends, long hours.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great place to work if you're in the right department.

Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Career Education full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat co-workers, competitive salaries, great work/life balance. Overall, I really enjoy being part of the Career Education team. Every company has it's drawbacks, but I think this one has less than most.

ConsNegative reputation. Aside from the reputation, it's a difficult place to work if you don't handle change well. Things change almost daily and it's not good for the complacent.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in your employees and focus on students instead of profits. You're headed in the right direction, but you still have a ways to go.

Good Company, bad times for proprietary ed

Instructor (Current Employee)
Skokie, IL

I have been working at Career Education full-time for more than a year

ProsGood benefits, excellent life/work balance, wonderful coworkers.

ConsEconomy and how it is posing challenges to this industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to people that work on the campuses.

military admissions adviser position = high pressure telemarketing sales

Military Admissions Adviser (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Career Education full-time for more than a year

Prospay is decent, a new employee can make as much as $40k a year with full benefits. Even if you're terrible at your job you can easily slip through the cracks and go unnoticed long enough to find a better job

ConsYou are not an "admissions adviser", you are sales person. Your role is to enroll every person they transfer to you no matter what kind of education they are looking for. You're "trained" to talk veterans into blindly signing over their education benefits for a degree that is pretty much useless.

Micromanagement CONSTANTLY.

Multiple supervisors to answer to

The company is falling apart under mismanagement. They are constantly changing everything. In the last year I've had over a half dozen supervisors. The company is constantly under the scrutiny of the department of education for it's policies and mismanagement

Advice to Senior ManagementCut your losses and pull out of the education business. You have no idea what you are doing and are harming far too many people in the process

-CTU Online: Good opportunity for Entry-Level Sales Position with Room for Advancement-

Associate Student Manager (Former Employee)
Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Career Education full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Starting salary is fairly decent for and entry-level employee
-Support and training is readily available
-Work environment promotes team focused environment.

The school I worked for was Colorado Technical University OnlineThere are many other pluses, but those are the basics that somebody entering an entry-level position should be looking for. The company has undergone many developments due to Department of Education regulations and standards that have affected for-profit institutions industry wide. That being said, I was unfortunately a part of the mix of employees that were let go due to quotas.

There is an intense training that each employee completes, you are placed on a team and the staff typically welcome all newcomers (there usually are a lot due to attrition). I don't think that there is a high turnover due to the type of work, pay, benefits etc., I believe completely that it is because a lot of young employees derive from the "entitlement" generation and have unrealistic views of what a sales position is going to be.

CEC offers a lot of opportunities and I was promoted a few times within a few years, the difference between myself and others is that I was not a recent college graduate that had a skewed view on how the real world works. Here's the thing, in sales, any type of beginning level, there are going to be the following: Weird work hours, lots of turnover, constant training activities, a budget you have to hit, and high expectations of work production and results.

The main problem I witnessed with a lot of employees was that they did not want to be on the phone, cold or warm call, and felt that because they recently received their degree, that means they can pay more attention to social media and sending text messages instead of working hard.

Cons-High turnover leads to fear, low morale, and a "who's leaving next" mentality
-Politics throughout the office (but that is expected anywhere in Corporate America)
-Team placement involves too many number related categories

The old phrase goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", unfortunately CEC does this frequently and especially at CTU Online. If there is a team or group of team members that work well with each other, or certain members of management.....then leave them be!

One of the issues with a lot of employees was the fact that you switched teams constantly. Some liked it some didn't, they eventually changed it to a annual "tour bid" with a team when it was previously six months. Either way, the frequent tossing around of workers didn't meld well with a lot of folks, especially myself. My team was one of the top producers and the best people were split and some were kept and it was never the same. Often times the best talent would be wasted because they would move team to team and not fit well as previously experienced.

Advice to Senior Management-Utilize the talent that is in front of you! A lot of people wanted to advance or work extra but management was more concerned with their own numbers rather that employee satisfaction.
-Politics is expected, but upper-management needs to control favoritism when it leads to a few exceeding budget and others are terminated.
-Managers should receive "Change Management" training because for the most part, the leaders did not lead well while the company was overhauling its structure.

Decent (or above) salary, great co-workers, current problems and layoffs in process

Senior Financial Aid Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Career Education full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLove my co-workers! Great work-life balance and focus. Good salary, especially for young adults first entering workforce; which is extremely common. Upper management make selves open and available to all and are. Yearly employee surveys, with followup of results, action plans, goals, and progress. Continual focus to attempt to increase employee morale and recognition. Structured monthly one-to-one employee-manager meetings and manager involvement of "next step" for advancement.

ConsRecent schools closing announcements (23), 900 laid off and hundreds more imminent. Too many management, leaders, and layers (directors upon directors). Advancements not always given to most qualified; many 'chosen' ones climb the ladder extremely quickly. Disconnect among departments, especially between campuses and corporate. Regulatory and policies not always consistent with what is actually done.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou say you care about students and employees, talk integrity and excellence, but in reality, it's only talk. Senior management say to come to them; they listen and say will do something about, but never do. You have many quality systems and departments in place, but lack accountability and ensurance of the completion. Metrics in place to emphasize productivity, but these systems cause quality of work to be compromised.

Keep on Looking.....

Admissions Advisor (Former Employee)
Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Career Education full-time for more than a year

ProsPay is competitive, that's it

ConsCutthroat enrvironment, more sexual harassment than you can imagine

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to be managers before attempting it

Easy to start, but becomes a morally depressing environment.

Admissions Representativte (Former Employee)
Sacramento, CA

I worked at Career Education full-time for less than a year

ProsInterview procecc went so smooth, was guided right through it. Makes one almost think of quantity over quality hmm???

ConsPay is low considering that it essentially is a sales job w/out commission (educational institutes apparently can't pay commissions/bonuses) so typically a higher salary applies. The work environment is extremely depressing w/managers coming down on the reps so hard that the employees tend to lose their confidence and decline in their enrollment numbers. Were there a morale boost and ongoing training efforts employees would do significantly better and there wouldn't be such a high employee turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more money in keeping up the teams morale boost + providing ongoing training & happiness at the work envirnment; And I guarantee you that student enrollment will go up as the employee turnover rate goes down.

Worked for Career Education? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Career Education reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Career Education CEO Scott W. Steffey. All 146 reviews posted anonymously by Career Education employees.