Career Education Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
Scott W. Steffey

Pros
  • Work hours offered a good work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Great people, good management style overall (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a lot going on within company that upper management will not let "The Little People" know about (in 8 reviews)

• Business Model can be hard to swallow: the bad press to for profit schools comes from the fact that they are marketed towards lower income families (in 6 reviews)

It WAS a great place to work... emphasis on WAS.

Former Employee - Director in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Career Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In my individual situation I had amazing autonomy to do what I wanted to do as long as it did not involve hiring more staff. I set my own schedule and selected which clients to meet with, where and when. Most of the senior executives (VP and above) in my division were solid performers. During my tenure the company seemed to always want to do right by its customers/students.

Cons

Being in the "for profit" education sector the company was often in the news getting beaten up by the government and others for questionable practices even though I personally never saw anything that was less than perfectly honorable. In my personal experience the company was always honest.

My biggest complaint is that the company would often institute major, strategic policy changes, especially those effecting our customer/students and then, after just a few weeks, would revert back to the old policy without ever giving the new policy a chance to have any effect or to see, if in fact, it was a good or bad move. The company also outsourced or changed some critical service offerings that were central to a positive student experience. That was a huge mistake made just to save a few dollars.

Advice to Management

It's water under the bridge and way too late now but my suggestion to senior leadership would have been to deliberately and clearly establish and differentiate the brand along the lines of DeVry and Phoenix. Back in the day when the whole industry was growing, a solid investment in establishing the brand could possibly have saved some of the pain being felt by the company now. I don't know what plan senior leadership has in mind, but as of January 2015, it would literally take a miracle to reverse the downward spiral in continuing operations now.

Micromanagement to the extreme

Current Employee - Financial Aid Advisor in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Career Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent people, stable hours. Reasonable compensation.

Cons

If you don't use the right font in your email, or highlight an excel document with the wrong color, you'll hear about it. You are constantly being managed and critiqued for worthless things. Horrible track record with the DOE.

Advice to Management

Let your people grow and manage in their minds eye, don't clone everyone.

3. The worst environment imaginable.

I worked at Career Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked some of my peers.

Cons

NO work life balance, high pressure environment, Admissions department is a cold-call sales center, schedules are terrible and irregular.

Advice to Management

Be HONEST about what the Admissions Advisor role is. Don't pitch it as a Counselor role when it's a Sales position. Effective Leadership Training would be helpful, rather than having DOA's threatening their Advisor's job security, or advising their Advisors to tell single parents to not feed their kids for a week to pay their application fee. (having been a single mother in the past...let me tell you - any school suggesting that to me when I was exploring going to college would have immediately been crossed off the list and I would have shared my reasoning with anyone willing to listen.

5. Good co-workers and employees treated relatively well, however the company's direction is iffy.

Former Employee - Imaging Associate in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Imaging Associate in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Career Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay; good co-workers; company does employee events such as holiday parties, and gives permission for departments to hold their own celebrations; there can be some flexibility with work hours to give a slightly better work/life balance.

Cons

Policies vary across the company and are hard to keep track of; training is not comprehensive across the board; bureaucracy can get in the way of solutions being implemented; no real potential for advancement in my particular department.

Advice to Management

Make sure you hire the right person for the right job, in regards to employees, managers, and higher-ups. Enforce standardized policies across all schools and levels of business.

6. A very Nice place to work

Current Employee - Financial Aid Advisor in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Career Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, great benefits, good starting pay

Cons

Training was a little disorganized

Advice to Management

Training was poor and needed to be updated

7. Lots of uncertainty and changes.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Career Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary and annual bonuses.

Cons

Managers allowed to bully employees.

Decent (or above) salary, great co-workers, current problems and layoffs in process

Current Employee - Senior Financial Aid Advisor in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Aid Advisor in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Career Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love my co-workers! Great work-life balance and focus. Good salary, especially for young adults first entering workforce; which is extremely common. Upper management make selves open and available to all and are. Yearly employee surveys, with followup of results, action plans, goals, and progress. Continual focus to attempt to increase employee morale and recognition. Structured monthly one-to-one employee-manager meetings and manager involvement of "next step" for advancement.

Cons

Recent schools closing announcements (23), 900 laid off and hundreds more imminent. Too many management, leaders, and layers (directors upon directors). Advancements not always given to most qualified; many 'chosen' ones climb the ladder extremely quickly. Disconnect among departments, especially between campuses and corporate. Regulatory and policies not always consistent with what is actually done.

Advice to Management

You say you care about students and employees, talk integrity and excellence, but in reality, it's only talk. Senior management say to come to them; they listen and say will do something about, but never do. You have many quality systems and departments in place, but lack accountability and ensurance of the completion. Metrics in place to emphasize productivity, but these systems cause quality of work to be compromised.

9. Keep on Looking.....

I worked at Career Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is competitive, that's it

Cons

Cutthroat enrvironment, more sexual harassment than you can imagine

Advice to Management

Learn how to be managers before attempting it

10. account manager

Former Intern - Associate Admissions Director, College Or University in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Career Education as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

great morale, fun environment, intelligent employees

Cons

Nothing to make a con about, very educational

Advice to Management

relax and let reps do their job

11. Good entry-level, but hard to move up

Current Employee - Financial Aid Processor in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Aid Processor in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Career Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Young group of workers
    -Can make good friendships

Cons

- Low Morale
    - Accountability not high
    - Monotonous work

Advice to Management

Need to value your employee better and better identify talent.

RSS Feed </> Embed