Career Education

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
2.6

Scott W. Steffey

Pros
  • It's a solid 40 hours a week and the work/life balance is acceptable (in 14 reviews)

• Great people, good management style overall (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management approves technology releases without a care for student experience (in 8 reviews)

• Their business model is not as strong as it once was - and too many students have been hurt vs (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

The corporation that forgot their employees and students are actually "People" not just #s!:(

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Career Education full-time

Pros

Good benefits with medical, paid holiday & vacation time off and 401K matching. And great growth opportunities if you are a puppet and don't have any morals or thoughts of your own. Oh, and don't ever question any of their new ideas or plans that change monthly and never work since they only give it a month or so to work!?!

Cons

The company has really gone down hill over the past 5 years. Management is a joke and the work atmosphere is very negative and depressing, The place sucks the life and happiness right out of you. So you end up with a bunch of fake and moody, brown nosing, back stabbing employees and management that have no idea about the industry the school is supposed to be teaching. They cut all formal training of new employees so no one has the proper tools to do their jobs and so of course they don't last. Also, hiring requirements for the academic staff has dropped so dramatically that no quality applicants were being hired to teach the students properly so the industry doesn't want to hire them!?! The company is one hot mess!

Require that Senior management and academics and career services come from the field they are teaching at that particular college campus. And stop the management pets! Give the hard working employees the promotions not the brown nose's that are hand feed to make it look as if they are good at their jobs.

Great experience, team building managers are very helpful

Current Employee - Student Loan Coordinator in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Student Loan Coordinator in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Career Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, you can advance in career, or change position within company

Cons

Salary freeze, other than that everything is ok

N/A

Upper Management doesn't have a clue

I have been working at Career Education full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great folks to work with, clean work environment

Cons

Upper Management approves technology releases without a care for student experience. One recent 'upgrade' was basically still in beta yet they still released it. No room for advancement in 2013 as there was a hiring freeze for most departments. No raises in 2013. Company will being using outsourcing starting 2014 which isn't very American of them. Crappy coffee in the break room. Also, they are very poor with training. They teach you the bare minimum (if that) of what you need to know for your job but no training to better your self or move up in the company.

Get more involved with the folks that front face your students and take their advice. Pay attention to student feedback (don't brush it off). Don't release technology that is flawed and broken.

Not too bad until the reduction in staff

I worked at Career Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Education "For Profit" not a good place to be in.

Reduction in Force show be used for layoff not "bad performance"

Looks good on Paper, but processes are horrible.

I worked at Career Education full-time

Pros

Energetic People and Good cafeteria

Cons

Too many to list here

Do more focus groups with your front line.

Beware of Career Ed....It is Getting Smaller

Former Employee - Director in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Career Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of good people who believe the schools can help some students.
    Great cafeteria!

Cons

For Profit schools are not a great place to work long-term. Their business model is not as strong as it once was - and too many students have been hurt vs. helped. While I see some of them turning around in many years, I believe CEC will be left behind their peers.

It was once a $2B player, but will soon be about half this size as they close out many of their schools. As they do - CEC will continue to reduce operations/staff and lose many talented people voluntarily as they seeker greener pastures. They recently promoted many former Directors to VP level spots in an effort to hold on to a few talented people AND they have some attractive job postings. However, I would encourage any potential job seeker to review their financial picture. They sold their school in Europe to fund a teach-out of many schools, not to fund any real growth opportunities.

I can see Career Ed holding onto CTU (by merging it with AIU) and sell most of their remaining ground schools. They could then be a mid-sized and potentially profitable player in the next 3-5 years. That is a long-time for a turnaround, given that the party ended about three years ago.

I know this is a tough job market and that you may be able to get some short-term value working for CEC, but beware - they are facing severe headwinds for many more years.

Good luck,

nepotism

Former Employee - Student Finance Processor in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Student Finance Processor in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Career Education full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great people,, close to home

Cons

only promoted if you are friends with the managers

listen to the staff about issues

I was one of the few that got lucky

I worked at Career Education full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My experience was not terrible, as many of my colleagues. I was lucky enough to survive multiple "restructures" (i.e. layoffs) in my short year of being with the company. Through those restructures I was able to climb the company ladder, to some extent. Therefore, if you are lucky enough to survive the layoffs that happen almost seasonally than you can really take advantage of that situation.

I enjoyed those that I worked with, and a few at upper management level. My department was very fun and friendly, but mostly middle aged women (I was the youngest in the department). Other departments, such as the financial aid department, are filled with young fresh-out-of-college kids which can make the environment exciting.

Their corporate office is very nice and newly renovated. They pride themselves on being "green".

They have reimbursement for classes, which is always a plus. But you have to have been there for at least a year.

Cons

The future of this company is very unsteady. I would be shocked to see them last much longer. The turnover in this company is absolutely ridiculous. They don't know how to keep good talent because they are always cutting costs (and the good ones cost too much). Also, your experience is going to depend on your department. I know that the Admissions department gets worked like dogs.

There isn't enough cross-department interaction. No company parties, no get-togethers, you basically know who you work with and that's it. Not much of a team culture.

I've seen most of the upper management worked to the bone. I would not recommend taking a job of such a position.

Good luck.

Good ideas, poor execution, no consistency

I worked at Career Education full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great team, collaboration, support from direct management

Cons

Constant change, uncertainty, inconsistency. It was very difficult to gauge success when the targets were constantly moving.

Give the decisions you make the opportunity to work.

Very professional.

Former Employee - Senior Admissions Advisor in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Admissions Advisor in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Career Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great potential for advancement. Tuition reimbursement. Base plus bonuses. You get to take a part in changing lives.

Cons

None while I was there. The admissions site was closed permanently last March due to a bad previous years losses.

The leadership at the top sets the pace. Pick it up.

Career Education Photos