Career Education

www.careered.com
Profile Unclaimed

Stay away, not worth the stress.

I worked at Career Education

Pros

Hard to say, when I first started an effort was made to keep employees happy - lunches, great benefits, promotions/raises...there aren't many pros as you will continue to read below...

Cons

Over the last 2-3 years it had been an emotional anxiety roller coaster of "am I gonna be fired" to "will my job be cut?" Jobs were (and continue to be cut) management made more and more demands, thus creating a stressful and heavier workload and then tried to justify it by saying "be thankful you have a job"

- Anyone (especially students) can complain or make an accusation against you and it's their word over yours (you don't win - ever).

- As mentioned earlier the workload increased all the time - as did the expectation to "do your job" in a much quicker than expected timeframe.
    - The position I held had a lot of interaction with other depts which dumped their difficult calls to our dept. in addition to the student calls that we received.

- Policy dictated one thing and we were expected to "help" anyways (ex. No help with homework, but if a student that never used a computer in their life before called - you were expected to assist that caller; if you didn't and they complained, you got in trouble).

- My biggest issue was the constant lying and misleading to the students. Having had earned my degree from a for profit school as well - it was so disheartening to see/interact with people who I knew wouldn't make it in that schooling environment and rack up these obnoxious student loans.

- Quit lying to you new prospective students; that might cut down on the lawsuits.
    - Listen to what your customers/students want; that's what most of the calls I took were about.
    - Set reasonable expectations for them - don't promise the moon and the stars, when all you can offer is a boat ride across the lake.
    - Listen to your staff and understand that the demands you make of your team cannot be met with the current workflow implemented. Outsourcing jobs from people who are good at what they do -- not smart! Can't tell you how many employees did everything they could to help the company - it all seemed in vain.
    - Reminding your team that "you fought for their jobs", while keeping yours -- really? Telling us once was plenty, don't/didn't need the constant reminding.

National Admissions Advisor role. Not worth the time.

I have been working at Career Education

Pros

The company does allow employees to earn online degrees after one year of employment. That's the only good thing I can say about the company.

Cons

The company is poorly operated, low salary, poor communication from management and very offensive and unprofessional work environment. I have a problem when I'm told to "dummy down" so that I can relate to enrolling prospects into a degree program. Tons of finger pointing from management. No one takes responsibility for their decisions. Management and advisors come and go as fast as you can say goodbye. The lack of quality in terms of employees makes working for this company a nightmare. Training was extremely obsolete and sublime. I was trained in two weeks by 4 different people, because one of the trainers get fired during that time. Because of its many mistakes, the comapny started downsizing from the top to the bottom and closed several locations.

Listen. If you're going to hire people, don't pre-judge them based upon appearance lack of social skills because those are the frontline faces of your organization. I've sat in many meetings where advisors made some excellent suggestions for change and how the school could boost enrollment, and management did not take that into consideration until it was too late. Their fault.

Education

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Career Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Education is highly promoted and it is a great place to gain additional management and leadership skill. In addition the employee health benefits program are great. You can make your own opportunity to grow.

Cons

401K program is marginal and the stock value is very poor. Leadership requires ongoing training but the training department was cut back completely.

None

Great Company

Current Employee - Director of Career Services in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Director of Career Services in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Career Education full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Managers are able to effectively run their departments and implement their ideas within regulatory guidelines

Cons

Long Hours make it difficult to balance home and work. Sometimes the expectations are not realistic; however, there is back up to assist you in reaching the goals set.

Come in as an undercover boss to see how great the people are you have working for you.

Worst company to work for.

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Elgin, IL
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Elgin, IL

I have been working at Career Education full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

The company keeps losing money in lawsuits and lying to students, which cause only less than 10% students would continue with the school after their first semesters. Now they lose so much money, that they let many employees go almost every year.

Stop lying to prospective students.
    2 of your schools are regionally accredited, so I would suggest that you use the accreditation to improve the business.
    Improve your websites so the students have better experience.

A young cultured company staging enormous opportunity for Millennials only to fall flat in the midst of bad leadership

Former Employee - Senior Financial Aid Processor in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Aid Processor in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Career Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Can be a great first job to get your feet wet
    - If you are on the right team and know the right people, advancement opportunity can be strong
    - Relaxed office environment

Cons

- Business Model can be hard to swallow: the bad press to for profit schools comes from the fact that they are marketed towards lower income families. Once you fully understand the financial aid system it is hard to get behind the company and believe you are doing something good for people/students involved.
    - Not family friendly in regards to hours, expectations, and policies
    - Change is never easy, and although CEC continues to change their Financial Aid organization and procedures every 3 quarters or so, they still have not become efficient in the art of change management.
    - Stability due to liability: I saw a very high turnover when I first started in 2009, that eventually turned into forced leave once the company began multiple rounds of layoffs due to bad financial performance. CEC is involved with some bad press and practices, and just settled a rather large case regarding misrepresented placement rates at schools. Layoffs have been quite prevalent in the past couple of years and the stock price is flirting with disaster.

DIVERSITY!!! Director level management consists of home grown talent who believe they have "put in their time" and still treat the business and industry as they saw it managed back in 2004. With so much change in FA and overall business management models, CEC has fallen extremely far behind the High Perfomance Management principles you hope to see from employers today. Get diversity in management and stop promoting "yes men/women". There is an endless cycle of bad management here as in order to be considered you have to fully accept the old school thoughts of the Directors. There actually is quite a bit of talent at CEC and this shows by your employees leaving for analyst and management positions with at least 5 different Fortune 500 companies.

The corporation that forgot their employees and students are actually "People" not just #s!:(

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Career Education full-time

Pros

Good benefits with medical, paid holiday & vacation time off and 401K matching. And great growth opportunities if you are a puppet and don't have any morals or thoughts of your own. Oh, and don't ever question any of their new ideas or plans that change monthly and never work since they only give it a month or so to work!?!

Cons

The company has really gone down hill over the past 5 years. Management is a joke and the work atmosphere is very negative and depressing, The place sucks the life and happiness right out of you. So you end up with a bunch of fake and moody, brown nosing, back stabbing employees and management that have no idea about the industry the school is supposed to be teaching. They cut all formal training of new employees so no one has the proper tools to do their jobs and so of course they don't last. Also, hiring requirements for the academic staff has dropped so dramatically that no quality applicants were being hired to teach the students properly so the industry doesn't want to hire them!?! The company is one hot mess!

Require that Senior management and academics and career services come from the field they are teaching at that particular college campus. And stop the management pets! Give the hard working employees the promotions not the brown nose's that are hand feed to make it look as if they are good at their jobs.

Great experience, team building managers are very helpful

Current Employee - Student Loan Coordinator in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Student Loan Coordinator in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Career Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, you can advance in career, or change position within company

Cons

Salary freeze, other than that everything is ok

N/A

Upper Management doesn't have a clue

I have been working at Career Education full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great folks to work with, clean work environment

Cons

Upper Management approves technology releases without a care for student experience. One recent 'upgrade' was basically still in beta yet they still released it. No room for advancement in 2013 as there was a hiring freeze for most departments. No raises in 2013. Company will being using outsourcing starting 2014 which isn't very American of them. Crappy coffee in the break room. Also, they are very poor with training. They teach you the bare minimum (if that) of what you need to know for your job but no training to better your self or move up in the company.

Get more involved with the folks that front face your students and take their advice. Pay attention to student feedback (don't brush it off). Don't release technology that is flawed and broken.

Not too bad until the reduction in staff

I worked at Career Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Education "For Profit" not a good place to be in.

Reduction in Force show be used for layoff not "bad performance"

Career Education Photos