Career Quest

Updated February 17, 2015
Updated February 17, 2015
2.1

CEO

Have had a great experience working here!

Current Employee - Support Services in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Support Services in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Career Quest full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The thing that brought me here in the first place is what Career Quest is all about. We change the lives of people who, in most cases have never had any support in doing so. There is an opportunity every day to make an impact on someone. This type of work is very hard and it is not for everybody which is evident in some of the negative comments posted about Career Quest, however I have been in this profession for a long time and Career Quest does support and appreciate those individuals who work hard and who hold themselves to a high standard. The company compensates their employees very well and they work hard to provide a fun work environment.

Cons

This work is not for everyone, so again the negative comments need to be taken with a grain of salt. The term schedule is grueling and can be a challenge for some to manage.

Continue to do what you are doing to make our outcomes better. Keep looking at opportunities to improve our classroom delivery.

Please take your $17,000 somewhere else! I'm begging you.

Former Employee - Instructor in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Instructor in Lansing, MI

I worked at Career Quest full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay and the students were the reason I went to work. I loved them both.

Cons

Where do I begin? This company is a sinking ship. The management team is the poster child for poor communication. They make up rules on the fly and obviously don't remember ever doing that when you go to follow said rules. They put a lot of pressure and work on every employee. PLUS they charge $17,000 for an education that the students can get for free. I say this because they just redid the entire curriculum based on open sourced materials. I'm not kidding. They pretty much created a $17,000 collection of free publicly available stuff. It look like it too. The place is a joke. It's CEO has exactly no experience in education and they hire students to teach classes BEFORE they even graduate. The materials they provide for the students are a pure waste. They print out powerpoint slides so small that they can't even be read and then yell at the students for reprinting them larger. They are so broke they had to use student volunteers to paint the walls inside the school, it looks like a amateur did it. They will fire you on a whim also, no warning, just go home. They didn't fire me, I walked out because I didn't want to be affiliated with such a greedy unpolished company that preys on the lower middle class. My program turned to crap. I couldn't see any of my students being certified in their field. I constantly expressed this with management, but they don't heed your concerns until they see students dropping out. Once the money starts leaving they start listening. This company is doomed to fail and I will NEVER recommend it to anyone.

LISTEN to your faculty. Stop changing everything, i mean everything on a whim!

No praise, few opportunities for advancement, punitive environment, high turnover, management completely aloof

I have been working at Career Quest

Pros

highly dynamic with lots of learning opportunities, self-directedness encouraged, involvement with students is excellent

Cons

changes are made with poor planning behind them, problems that could have been anticipated and avoided are left to fester in an environment of extremely poor interdepartmental communication

Work at improving communication and cooperation between departments, spend more time with ALL staff, seeing what they do every day and being a part of their experience in a positive, encouraging manner

Terrible

Former Employee - Instructor
    Former Employee - Instructor

I worked at Career Quest full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Can't think of any pros at all.

Cons

They don't follow their own written policies
    network has no security whatsoever. I can get into anyone's files and folders
    They make sure certain things are vague so if they don't want someone there it is easy for them to badger the employees and students
    They change the things that don't matter and ignore the things that do
    They are not student orientated. Students are put in classes without prerequisites, so they have a harder time understanding the material.
    They police their students rather then teach them
    They don't care if the instructor teaching the material actually knows the material
    They have an extremely low employment rate for their students because they don't give them the proper education
    They have no respect for their instructors and expect them to show up for classes at 9 am and stay late for classes until 10:30. There is so much stress there, you can't get any sleep, so you will not be able to perform well. And, they don't pay you anywhere near enough to put up with their crap.
    The students often learn to hate the atmosphere and I have seen them warn others not to attend, right there in the lobby of the school. They are very negative towards Career Quest in the classroom and direct that towards the instructor.
    Management has been known to not let an instructor come back after medical leave, scream at employees, hang up on them and slam doors in their faces. Very unprofessional.

It is not the 70's anymore. Get rid of the old authoritarian management style. You will never be as productive as you want to be until you wake up in the proper century.

My length of employment was short due to the company having large turn overs.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Career Quest full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is professional and good working hours (8-5), never have to work weekends.

Cons

People that do not do their job are kept longer then they should and their better employees leave. Their salaries are not competitive with equal jobs in the same industry

Employees should be given at least a year to prove their competency and skill level rather then a few months. Salaries need to be more competetive with other similar businesses in the area. When you have employees in leadership positions who are abusive or inappropriate with those who work under them they need to be dismissed immediately and demonstrate more support for all your employees.

Bad Experience

Former Employee - Admissions in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Admissions in Lansing, MI

I worked at Career Quest full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The admissions position pays well.

Cons

The product isn't a value to the student. The company more or less is a predatory sale. They specifically target people with low self esteem, from low income backgrounds that are ignorant about education and then over charges them for a certification/degree that isn't accredited. Also most the majors don't make any real money or aren't competitive versus real schools programs.

Sale the school to someone who actually cares about education.

Fantastic place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Career Quest full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Career Quest has dedicated, passionate instructors that love to make a difference in lives of our students. Departments work together to make the best outcome for the student. Professionalism is top notch. I love coming to work every day.

Cons

Not much to say here. I really enjoy working with a team of people that strive to make a difference!!

Management has listened to feedback and suggestions I've made. They do care about the success of staff.

Enjoyed working with students

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Career Quest full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's been great getting to know the students and helping them to make their lives better. It can be a very difficult job but if you keep the student's best interests in the front you will be successful.

Cons

Sometimes the personal issues of the students are difficult. You want to help them and hopefully they will take the resources you give them and use them.

The benefits are very expensive with little coverage.

Unstable Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at Career Quest full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The scenery - it changes all the time. If you stick around long enough, you'll see 90% of the company turn over and you'll get to make all new friends! If you are lucky enough to make friends with someone from the 'core' group, you'll be a happy camper - just make sure you keep feeding them compliments and chocolate to keep the target off your back - Oh and don't forget to post a great review, when asked.

Cons

Read the cons from previous commenters here. They are true - including the expensive benefits, lack of support, constant change without long term vision, unrealistic deadlines....etc.

The physical locations are dumpy and in high crime areas. They look good up front, but once you are employed or become a student, you get to see 'behind the curtain'. The classrooms use old, broken furniture and plastic card tables, the kind you'd buy at Walmart. Most of the PC labs are fire hazards with 5 or 6 machines plugged into one outlet by daisy chaining power strips, not to mention the tripping hazard produced by all of the cords on the floor.

The equipment (PC's, printers, monitors, etc..) is all horribly out of date and breaks down all the time.

Employee and student smokers everywhere. The parking lots are like ashtrays with potholes.

It is definately apparent this company does not reinvest wisely and only cares about the bottom line.

Consider what an earlier reviewer mentioned - take care of your employees and students; it just might make you successful.

Increase your share of insurance premiums, increase PTO benefit, create a realistic employee bonus program (one that actually pays), consider contributing to the 401K, increase wages and post a wage structure.

Sinking Ship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Career Quest full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The paychecks were on time and the good people, only a few of which are still there, really care. Too bad the Corporate leadership values the dollar more than the employee and student. When the company was privately owned, it was a great place to work.

Cons

Really expensive insurance benefits, especially for a family plan. The paid time off (PTO) program is a joke, it's what you'd expect to receive if you were a full time fast food employee. Forget spending the holidays with your family if you work for Career Quest. Spur of the moment, knee jerk decision making by upper management and senior leadership is tearing the place apart. The company lives for the next student start, no long term vision.

If you take care of your employees, they will take care of you. If you base your decisions on what is best for the student, rather than what is best for the profit margin or your own personal gain, you will become successful.