Career Quest Reviews

Updated August 4, 2014
Updated August 4, 2014

2.4

CEO

Have had a great experience working here!

Current Employee - Support Services  in  Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Support Services in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Career Quest full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The thing that brought me here in the first place is what Career Quest is all about. We change the lives of people who, in most cases have never had any support in doing so. There is an opportunity every day to make an impact on someone. This type of work is very hard and it is not for everybody which is evident in some of the negative comments posted about Career Quest, however I have been in this profession for a long time and Career Quest does support and appreciate those individuals who work hard and who hold themselves to a high standard. The company compensates their employees very well and they work hard to provide a fun work environment.

Cons

This work is not for everyone, so again the negative comments need to be taken with a grain of salt. The term schedule is grueling and can be a challenge for some to manage.

Continue to do what you are doing to make our outcomes better. Keep looking at opportunities to improve our classroom delivery.

Fantastic place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Career Quest full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Career Quest has dedicated, passionate instructors that love to make a difference in lives of our students. Departments work together to make the best outcome for the student. Professionalism is top notch. I love coming to work every day.

Cons

Not much to say here. I really enjoy working with a team of people that strive to make a difference!!

Management has listened to feedback and suggestions I've made. They do care about the success of staff.

Enjoyed working with students

Current Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Career Quest full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's been great getting to know the students and helping them to make their lives better. It can be a very difficult job but if you keep the student's best interests in the front you will be successful.

Cons

Sometimes the personal issues of the students are difficult. You want to help them and hopefully they will take the resources you give them and use them.

The benefits are very expensive with little coverage.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unstable Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at Career Quest full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The scenery - it changes all the time. If you stick around long enough, you'll see 90% of the company turn over and you'll get to make all new friends! If you are lucky enough to make friends with someone from the 'core' group, you'll be a happy camper - just make sure you keep feeding them compliments and chocolate to keep the target off your back - Oh and don't forget to post a great review, when asked.

Cons

Read the cons from previous commenters here. They are true - including the expensive benefits, lack of support, constant change without long term vision, unrealistic deadlines....etc.

The physical locations are dumpy and in high crime areas. They look good up front, but once you are employed or become a student, you get to see 'behind the curtain'. The classrooms use old, broken furniture and plastic card tables, the kind you'd buy at Walmart. Most of the PC labs are fire hazards with 5 or 6 machines plugged into one outlet by daisy chaining power strips, not to mention the tripping hazard produced by all of the cords on the floor.

The equipment (PC's, printers, monitors, etc..) is all horribly out of date and breaks down all the time.

Employee and student smokers everywhere. The parking lots are like ashtrays with potholes.

It is definately apparent this company does not reinvest wisely and only cares about the bottom line.

Consider what an earlier reviewer mentioned - take care of your employees and students; it just might make you successful.

Increase your share of insurance premiums, increase PTO benefit, create a realistic employee bonus program (one that actually pays), consider contributing to the 401K, increase wages and post a wage structure.

Sinking Ship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Career Quest full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The paychecks were on time and the good people, only a few of which are still there, really care. Too bad the Corporate leadership values the dollar more than the employee and student. When the company was privately owned, it was a great place to work.

Cons

Really expensive insurance benefits, especially for a family plan. The paid time off (PTO) program is a joke, it's what you'd expect to receive if you were a full time fast food employee. Forget spending the holidays with your family if you work for Career Quest. Spur of the moment, knee jerk decision making by upper management and senior leadership is tearing the place apart. The company lives for the next student start, no long term vision.

If you take care of your employees, they will take care of you. If you base your decisions on what is best for the student, rather than what is best for the profit margin or your own personal gain, you will become successful.

Revolving Door

Current Employee - Instructor  in  Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Instructor in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Career Quest part-time for more than a year

Pros

You can have a lot of fun watching Administration chasing their tails. You will also learn how not to motivate students.

Cons

Many unreasonable expectations and goals, Instructors held responsible for things out of their control, Administration treats you like children and you are given full responsibility to perform the duties of your job...you have no authority to do so.

Spend some time in front of a mirror. Watch a few episodes of Undercover Boss. I wonder if they have any idea how many good people they have lost in the last year.

A happening accident

Former Employee - Corporate Spy  in  Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Corporate Spy in Lansing, MI

I worked at Career Quest full-time for more than a year

Pros

Well let's see...nope can't think of any. Stay away from the Administrative side...that's the sure kiss of death.

Cons

Promotions are followed by termination. The newest concept in Corporate warfare? Get rid of your best people.

Wake up and get off this sinking ship.

No problems with me

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at Career Quest full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed my time at Career Quest. This industry is not for everyone. Teaching students and helping them can be very draining. Admissions can be especially hard, but the product is good and Career Quest is always trying to do what is best for their students. The people there are great co-workers and I do feel like management cared.

Cons

Every job has its cons. I have worked at a school before and to me there is nothing vastly different than what they ask us to do.

Share more of the good, not just the bad. Some people work really hard and some don't. Please be sure that you are thanking those that work really hard and care about what they do.

From first to worst

Former Employee - Department Chair  in  Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Department Chair in Lansing, MI

I worked at Career Quest full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The students and Instructors are all very friendly people!

Cons

Administration has no concept of comunication. Policies and procedures change on a moments notice. One moment, you're doing a great job...later that day you're called in for disciplinary action. Absolutely no consistency.

Get out of your offices and interact with staff and students. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel and realize that Corporate Education is not right for everyone. CQ had the idea once upon a time, now they have lost the forest to manage the fires.

The used car sales mentality of education!

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor  in  Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Lansing, MI

I worked at Career Quest full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company pays well if you can maintain your job long enough to see the benefit of the pay.

Cons

Disrespectful in their treatment of employees.
    The company has an over priced product with inferior performance in the market.
    Essentially a degree from a surrounding community college is cheaper and more valuable in the job market.

Education can't be sold and students shouldn't be deceived into enrolling because you have discovered their "pain" and used it against them.

Worked for Career Quest? Contribute to the Community!