CareerBuilder

Updated January 18, 2015
3.7

CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • Work life balance is really good, I never saw people burned out from overwork (in 39 reviews)

• Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • I witnessed mediocre sales reps who sucked up to the Sales Director and move from sales (in 22 reviews)

• Work Life Balance did not exist - neither did a true career path (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

79 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing Culture!!

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder

Pros

Disciplined Freedom
    Easy To Do Business With
    Employees fell they are valued

Cons

Recent changes to a SAAS company has had some growing pains

More accounts!

Good company

Former Employee - Client Services in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Client Services in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CareerBuilder

Pros

Excellent training program. Tons of autonomy. Excellent employee relations.

Cons

Not a public company, lacks any upside. Product needs enhancing.

Keep up the good work.

Amazing engineering culture

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder

Pros

As a software engineer, you can't get much better than CareerBuilder in terms of culture. Casual dress code, flexible working hours, and a low stress working environment make CareerBuilder an awesome place to work. Benefits are very generous. There's never any overtime and nobody works more than 40 hours a week. There is an on-call rotation for each team but you get an extra $250 for every week you do it. Much of the time that's free money.

Cons

Pay is a bit lower than average for Atlanta and despite the low turnover for software engineers, it's the biggest reason people leave CareerBuilder. It looks to be improving based on some things the CEO has said recently and the hefty 4th quarter 2014 raises.

CareerBuilder is a great place to work. I love the environment and company values. Pay is low though.

Current Employee - Product Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people are amazing. Lots of opportunity and support to grow. Company values are important and encouraged. Benefits are outstanding and some of the best I've seen.

Cons

The pay is below the industry average, at least in the Atlanta area.

Great Culture, Awful Salary

Former Employee - Technical Support in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Norcross, GA

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work culture is great. I loved working with the people that I worked with. My leadership at all levels was pretty much wonderful. I loved my co-workers. I also learned a lot while being there. It was fantastic.

Cons

If you are prepared to just scrape by, then you can stay in the company. I moved into 3 positions and maybe got a $4,000 difference in salary from start to when I left CB. This is why I stopped looking and striving to get into other roles at the company. What was the point of striving for more if I still had to apply for food stamps? I hate to sound ungrateful, but the perks and benefits in the end, couldn't pay the bills. I honestly didn't know how people that didn't have a significant other could survive on that 1990s salary.

At least pay your people at minimum, average market value. I just couldn't afford to work there anymore. I loved the people, and was sad to go, but I was tired of being a grown adult that could barely afford gas money. But thanks to CB for the amazing skills that made me marketable to other comapnies.

Don't do it

Current Employee - Premier Customer Success Specialist in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Premier Customer Success Specialist in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Cheap health benefits.
    Lots of company outings if your manager is into that type of stuff.

Cons

Everything else.
    Low pay.
    Abusive managers.
    HR that cares Zero about employees.
    Long hours. Some people work till 9pm.
    Forced to work overtime for FREE!!!
    Immature managers that act like they are still in high school.
    They change titles for this role about once a year because; it is that terrible. They have figured out people will come here to give it bad reviews.

None, they do not care nor will they listen.

I miss CB just about every day

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Norcross, GA

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I learned what it means to be a good software engineer and what it means to work with extremely sharp product dev and project management teams. Lots of other companies throw around agile/lean development and lack leadership -- CareerBuilder is not one of them. Great company culture in the Norcross office. You'll have fun on the Lower Level.

Senior leadership are pretty cool people despite coming from elite educational backgrounds.

Cons

The compensation package is generous (PTO, Tuition Reimbursement, Profit Sharing, etc.) but I couldn't justify the pay when metro Atlanta companies were throwing 6 figures at me.

Change management and clear communication were issues.

None-- I've been gone almost 3 years. I'm sure things are different, but this review is just how I felt at the time.

Great work/life balance

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Nice people. Great flexibility and care on individual needs. Great benefit with 100% remote option. Attendance does not affect performance.

Cons

Senior leadership lacking visions. Teams lacking corporation and coordination. Deliberately ignoring LinkedIn in all aspects.

Don't take anything for granted.

Great Company to Decide Your Interests

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of lateral freedom, friendly management and coworkers, great benefits, fun workplace

Cons

Lower than average pay, somewhat limited vision

Great growth, culture and learning potential (Awful pay)

Current Employee - Multiple Job Titles in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Multiple Job Titles in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Great team collaboration and culture.
    - Excellent number of opportunities to innovate (hackathon, Ideas from everywhere, casual conversations)
    - Most managers trust, believe-in, and empower their direct reports.
    - Access to internal positions and promotions is better here than at other companies I have worked for.
    - People are easy to do business with and really strive to help each other succeed.
    - Work-life balance is excellent, usually can work from home one day a week.

Cons

- Constant reorganization, for seemingly flippant reasons, when things are just beginning to flow smoothly (once every 3-6 months).
    - Everyone is underpaid compared to market value by $20,000-$30,000 (most employees know this because we have a big data product line that aggregates salary information)--would have given a "Satisfied" rating if it weren't for this.
    - Due to underpayment, CareerBuilder has a hard time keeping it's most experienced and talented Software Developers or hiring already experienced software developers.

- Give everyone massive raises (bring them up to the %25th-%50th percentile for average salary range.
    - Get rid of the ridiculous %10 raise or promotion cap, especially in light of how low your pay is compared to the rest of the industry. (Would have given a 4 or 5 star rating except for this).
    - Invest more time in getting middle management to adopt Agile and Lean values. (In fairness, they've been working on this)
    - Send people to certification classes more often rather than at a sickly rate.
    - Encourage innovation by giving functional groups independence to work like their own start up in terms of policy, pay, methodology, etc.
    - Remember that wage increases don't add a net positive gain to the workplace, it just alleviates what negativity it caused.