CareerBuilder

Updated December 14, 2014
3.7

CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • Work life balance is really good, I never saw people burned out from overwork (in 39 reviews)

• Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • I witnessed mediocre sales reps who sucked up to the Sales Director and move from sales (in 22 reviews)

• Work Life Balance did not exist - neither did a true career path (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

76 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

CareerBuilder is a great place to work. I love the environment and company values. Pay is low though.

Current Employee - Product Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people are amazing. Lots of opportunity and support to grow. Company values are important and encouraged. Benefits are outstanding and some of the best I've seen.

Cons

The pay is below the industry average, at least in the Atlanta area.

Great Culture, Awful Salary

Former Employee - Technical Support in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Norcross, GA

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work culture is great. I loved working with the people that I worked with. My leadership at all levels was pretty much wonderful. I loved my co-workers. I also learned a lot while being there. It was fantastic.

Cons

If you are prepared to just scrape by, then you can stay in the company. I moved into 3 positions and maybe got a $4,000 difference in salary from start to when I left CB. This is why I stopped looking and striving to get into other roles at the company. What was the point of striving for more if I still had to apply for food stamps? I hate to sound ungrateful, but the perks and benefits in the end, couldn't pay the bills. I honestly didn't know how people that didn't have a significant other could survive on that 1990s salary.

At least pay your people at minimum, average market value. I just couldn't afford to work there anymore. I loved the people, and was sad to go, but I was tired of being a grown adult that could barely afford gas money. But thanks to CB for the amazing skills that made me marketable to other comapnies.

Don't do it

Current Employee - Premier Customer Success Specialist in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Premier Customer Success Specialist in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cheap health benefits.
    Lots of company outings if your manager is into that type of stuff.

Cons

Everything else.
    Low pay.
    Abusive managers.
    HR that cares Zero about employees.
    Long hours. Some people work till 9pm.
    Forced to work overtime for FREE!!!
    Immature managers that act like they are still in high school.
    They change titles for this role about once a year because; it is that terrible. They have figured out people will come here to give it bad reviews.

None, they do not care nor will they listen.

I miss CB just about every day

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Norcross, GA

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I learned what it means to be a good software engineer and what it means to work with extremely sharp product dev and project management teams. Lots of other companies throw around agile/lean development and lack leadership -- CareerBuilder is not one of them. Great company culture in the Norcross office. You'll have fun on the Lower Level.

Senior leadership are pretty cool people despite coming from elite educational backgrounds.

Cons

The compensation package is generous (PTO, Tuition Reimbursement, Profit Sharing, etc.) but I couldn't justify the pay when metro Atlanta companies were throwing 6 figures at me.

Change management and clear communication were issues.

None-- I've been gone almost 3 years. I'm sure things are different, but this review is just how I felt at the time.

Great work/life balance

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Nice people. Great flexibility and care on individual needs. Great benefit with 100% remote option. Attendance does not affect performance.

Cons

Senior leadership lacking visions. Teams lacking corporation and coordination. Deliberately ignoring LinkedIn in all aspects.

Don't take anything for granted.

Great Company to Decide Your Interests

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of lateral freedom, friendly management and coworkers, great benefits, fun workplace

Cons

Lower than average pay, somewhat limited vision

Great growth, culture and learning potential (Awful pay)

Current Employee - Multiple Job Titles in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Multiple Job Titles in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great team collaboration and culture.
    - Excellent number of opportunities to innovate (hackathon, Ideas from everywhere, casual conversations)
    - Most managers trust, believe-in, and empower their direct reports.
    - Access to internal positions and promotions is better here than at other companies I have worked for.
    - People are easy to do business with and really strive to help each other succeed.
    - Work-life balance is excellent, usually can work from home one day a week.

Cons

- Constant reorganization, for seemingly flippant reasons, when things are just beginning to flow smoothly (once every 3-6 months).
    - Everyone is underpaid compared to market value by $20,000-$30,000 (most employees know this because we have a big data product line that aggregates salary information)--would have given a "Satisfied" rating if it weren't for this.
    - Due to underpayment, CareerBuilder has a hard time keeping it's most experienced and talented Software Developers or hiring already experienced software developers.

- Give everyone massive raises (bring them up to the %25th-%50th percentile for average salary range.
    - Get rid of the ridiculous %10 raise or promotion cap, especially in light of how low your pay is compared to the rest of the industry. (Would have given a 4 or 5 star rating except for this).
    - Invest more time in getting middle management to adopt Agile and Lean values. (In fairness, they've been working on this)
    - Send people to certification classes more often rather than at a sickly rate.
    - Encourage innovation by giving functional groups independence to work like their own start up in terms of policy, pay, methodology, etc.
    - Remember that wage increases don't add a net positive gain to the workplace, it just alleviates what negativity it caused.

Great people moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom to pick the tools and languages most appropriate to your problems. Lots of great learning opportunities. Relaxed work environrment. Leadership really listens to employees at all levels and makes an effort to improve. Quarterly bonuses are nice. 1/2 day fridays during July and August, and a pretty good PTO policy

Cons

Pay is low compared to the tech sector in Atlanta, and they lose lots of experienced engineers to to bigger salaries somewhere local. Not much effort made to hold onto experienced engineers can make it hard to build reliable scalable softare.

Figure out how to hold onto experienced engineers, a software company can't run on software only built by people fresh out of school

Great Culture and many learning opportunities

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Started working a little less than a year ago right out of college. Very laid back culture. Upper management doesn't put any stress on employees and really value our input on decisions.
    Upper management also really encourages learning. Whether it be practical things used in the work place or taking classes at nearby university.

Cons

Although the living costs of living in Georgia are much lower than other cities with a lot of technology, (SF, NY, CHI). The pay still seems to be less aggressive than other technology companies.

Amazing place to work!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture, Benefits, Training, CEO LEADERSHIP is all amazing! The pay isn't bad, but could be better for almost all roles in the company.

Cons

Pay, lack of career growth, horrible managers in some offices; This company is young and managers stay in their roles for a while; many are chosen due to nepotism. Career paths are short in most roles. Sales teams and people get treated like GODS and can do no wrong at this company. There is a "if you're not a sales rep you're a nobody" type of mentality.

Keep a very watchful eye on the RED FLAGS of your managers - an entire team of complaining people is a HUGE RED FLAG that a manager should be evaluated. CareerBuilder prides itself in teaching and preaching about employment brand and retention, but doesn't practice what it preaches.