CareerBuilder

Updated Apr 18, 2014

CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson

Matt Ferguson

180 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I've worked there a long time and I've learned its a boys club

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPros
- Pay is decent once you get to quota- which is near impossible unless your lucky a find company that wants to grow by 300-400 percent and wants to spend all that with you
- Happy hours are fun, except do you really want to spend every waking hour with your coworkers
- Training is okay, except that its always the same, it feels like its there to justify someones job

ConsCons
- So many to list
- Compensation until you get to quota
- useless trainings (any reason to pull you off the floor)
- unrealistic quota expectations; growth in accounts should be expected however the CEO said it himself "we lose as much as we grow" So how about better pay for maintaining accounts and large bonuses for bring in new business
- Better support for sales; its a mess right now. We have to go through cues to get support for accounts, which takes time. Then rather then getting what you need support has an agenda of stuff they need to complete in order for them to be compensated.
-Accountability over managers; Most managers are morons while others are down right horrible, there are far & few managers that are both bright & respectful

Advice to Senior Management1- review compensation- CB pays the smallest base in the industry- Glassdoor, Linkedin, Salesforce, Monster all pay a lot more
2- review philosophy- Instead of throwing insane Christmas parties or zone parties give employees bonuses
3- Understand that more audit/manager reviews need to be put in place and leadership needs to see the results. Bad managers are everywhere in CB, they're toxic horrible people that bring down your day instantly- Get rid of them, or at least let people say something without fear of losing their job in a survey or something

Going Down Hill FAST

Major Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for more than a year

Pros- Great People
- Exceptional Training
- Amazing pay IF you crush it
- Innovative

Cons- Sales is lead by total fear tactics - Most feel thier job is always threatened
- The company has ZERO loyalty to tenured employees. A guy who had made president's club 5 or the last 6 years was let go after a few bad months of revenue production
- Extremely high turnover
-Constant reorginization
- UNREALISTIC GOALS unless you are given a good "book of business"!
- Mass voluntary exodus of top tenured sales talent over the past year leaves you wondering
- Sales morale so low that they stopped all satisfaction surveying
- Middle management (Director level) is a JOKE. Most haven't sold since the company was selling just job postings so they have NO CLUE what it takes to sell the SAAS solutions the company has now.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe constant churn you are creating for sales is HURTING your business. Your top performers are those with tenure but you are so quick to kick newer folks to the curb when they don't hit their number for a month or two. Put two and two together...if you want to sell in the SAAS arena, you need to keep people around long enough for them to learn the solutions and build relationships with clients.This space is NOT the quick transactional sales cycle that you experienced slinging postings in 2006! You actually need to get to know a would be customer and understand their process and problems to properly position a solution.

Project Manager

Project Manager - Recruiting (Current Employee)

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDo not get me wrong. It is a great environment to work in because all of the employees and around the same age (25-35) and it is a very social group.

ConsI am writing a "dissatisfied" review because this company will not pay you what market value is if you are in operations. They only care about the sales force, so if you are in sales i say go for it! On the operations side, almost everyone is ridiculously under paid and they know it and do not care. I work for the recruiting division called Personified and we have are losing people to different companies by the fistful. In the last two months, are top talent has been leaving the company at least 1 a week, usually two. The bosses keep calling us in to meetings to find out why everyone is leaving and there is only one answer. We are under paid. Honestly, a minimum of $10k underpaid. When we tell them that is why people are leaving, all they (bosses) ever say is, " well if they are just leaving for money they wont be happy and they'll regret it. Well you know what. Not a single person has yet. They will not acknowledge that the pay is an issue and it is pissing everyone off. When I hangout with my coworkers, which I do often (like i said the other employees are great) it could be ten of us out and 8 are complaining about pay and threatening to walk out the door any minute, they just do not have a job lined up yet. Management will not listen and CareerBuilder will not allocate more money for Operations. It is infuriating.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly pay people what we are worth. We do not even want much because i like my job, i just cannot sustain on this paycheck! The sales may get the deal signed, but it is your ops teams that make sure the product they sold WORKS!

Horrible

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time for more than a year

ProsIt's a great entry level job, if you can sell the overall pay isn't horrible either.

ConsI don't even know where to start. I never missed goal, but felt like I was being pushed out the door as soon as I started. My boss kept talking about how CB has turnover, and that I needed to do better everyday to keep my job. I could see if I wasn't keeping up great activity or missing goal having those conversations, but it made me incredibly uncomfortable.
My team went out almost every night, and since I don't drink & have a kid at home, I usually opted out. I got pretty well told off by my manager of that one, and was told I wasn't a team player.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not a popularity contest. Higher and promote the best people, not who you like. And you need more experience in management.

Fantastic company to work for!

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat room for growth.
Pay is above average
Disciplined freedom
Senior Leadership is solid!

ConsAt times communication from upper management is not as clear as it could be.

Advice to Senior ManagementSame as above. Communication can lack at times.

Great Employer, Great Employees

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- some of the brightest minds all in one place
- highly competitive compensation for winning sales reps
- work-life balance

Cons-non-sales roles tend to pay lower than the market average salaries

Great people, culture and work-life balance but difficult to rise to senior leadership levels

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people at CB are fantastic. Many bright individuals and most are working toward the same goal. Work-Life balance is also excellent depending on your group. They reward employees extremely well and have some of the best events around.

ConsThe culture is so great top leaders rarely leave so it's hard to get new leadership ideas because the same group has been leading the company for so long. This makes it difficult to rise to those ranks from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue celebrating your people and find ways to simplify processes for the Sales teams. Sales is too frequently left to fend for themselves because the proper support systems are not in place.

Fantastic company that knows how to invest in their employees.

Online Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits and salary
Ardently enthusiastic managers constantly looking to get you promoted
Fun company culture with ample resources at hand
Great training
Young and old alike all pretty fun people to work with

ConsMetrics driven environment
Certain pockets of the vertical business unit are very cliquey
If you begin to fall behind on your quota, life can become difficult and stressful
Getting ahead can be difficult if you and your manager clash

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep checking in with your employees

Great place to work

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for more than a year

Pros-Innovative Products
-Great executive team
-Amazing trips

Cons- High turnover across all offices

Good Entry Level Job

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time for less than a year

Prosvery Cultured and fun. Lots of incentives!

ConsYou are a number, had a turn and burn type feel

Worked for CareerBuilder? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CareerBuilder reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson. All 180 reviews posted anonymously by CareerBuilder employees.