CareerBuilder

CareerBuilder Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 21, 2014

CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson

Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • Work life balance is really good, I never saw people burned out from overwork(in 37 reviews)

• Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • I witnessed mediocre sales reps who sucked up to the Sales Director and move from sales(in 22 reviews)

• No office culture or morale due to extremely high turnover(in 12 reviews)

195 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun place to work

Sales Incentives Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWork with an awesome team. Everyone is very collaborative and flexible. You know your team has your back. Great place for someone to work right out of college.

ConsPoor pay for non-sales. Can be overly stressful.

Great Company but "fraternity" at the higher level needs to mix it up

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGives you a ton of freedom to create your own path. Hands off approach and a lot of smart people. If you do what you are supposed to do, you get a ton of freedom in and out of the office.

ConsToo many in upper mgmt level are not passionate or are not deserving to be considered leaders at the company.

There is no perfect place to work...but this is a good one

Major Account Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat coworkers. Great Training. Lots of room for growth and opportunity.

ConsSome politics involved. I really do not have many cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Systemic Issues Cause Ripple Effects

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBenefits are really good
    Culture is fairly relaxed

Cons1. Product development leaves much to be desired. Product owners have a half-baked ideas that are quickly pushed through production, not properly QA'd, they're filled with issues and bugs, and there is no work done to determine how products that are interdependent will function together.
    2. For a company that is moving to a "tech focus", the only people who are still properly compensated are sales, which means the best operations teams and developers are leaving for better opportunities.
    3. Initiatives are passed down from upper management without thinking through the consequences of how these new programs will affect other parts of CB's business, which makes it difficult to trust senior leadership.
    4. There are core issues with how accounts and teams are set up. We don't have enough operational resources, so those teams are getting burned out and leaving. In regards to account management, those teams are poorly trained, unreliable, and turn over quickly so their familiarity with accounts is lacking.

Advice to Senior Management1, Figure out your priorities. You can't be a tech company where the focus is developing the best products and services, and be a sales company where the focus is cramming a poorly slapped together "solution" down your client's throats.
    2. Compensate your people better. The market is better, as you keep saying, and paying your best operations people 30-40% below market value isn't going to cut it if you want competitive products and services.
    3. Change the configuration of teams to better reflect what the business needs versus what is already in place.
    4. Disciplined freedom causes variety and variety is a killer to business because it is not scalable, it cannot be measured (because it is an outlier), and it costs more money. Custom solutions need to be a thing of the past unless compensated accordingly.

Account executive

Account Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsAwesome training and development. Great leadership. Amazing innovation in the space.

ConsGrowing fast and constant innovation is leading to a stressful internal culture because the lack of organization and process improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep innovating, improve internal process, develop leadership more.

3 years in and still loving it!

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFantastic people, quick opportunities for advancement, high compensation, freedom to run your business the way you see fit! Benefits are amazing and products are state-of-the-art.

ConsFor some of the initial roles, there's a bit of hand-holding. But there has to be! As we move into software business, change is rapid and we've got to stay out in front of it. If agility isn't your thing, this might not be the sales company for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep allowing the disciplined freedom approach!

A great sales building block with a lot of upward opportunity

Account Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe company culture is by far the best things about working for CareerBuilder. There are a lot of company events/happy hours, half day Fridays in the summer, and TRIP. Trip was one of the best experiences of my life. A 1 week all expenses paid for you and a plus 1 to an exotic location. Everyone is really nice and will do anything they can to help you.

ConsActivity - hitting stupid metrics that do not necessarily result in sales to stay off "plan". Change is the only constant not that this is the worst thing in the world but sometimes changes are not communicated very well

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep evolving to keep up in the market place. Things have changed so much in the 3+ years since I have been here and in a great way!

Trending The Wrong Direction

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- CareerBuilder truly is a great organization that employs some fantastic people.
    - The bonus potential and rewards trip are excellent motivators
    - Benefits are top-notch (wellness reimbursement is an exceptionally nice perk)
    - You will gain valuable knowledge that will allow you to excel in other roles

Cons- Management. Hire people who actually know how to LEAD other people. Note: there is a big difference between management and leadership.
    - To continue on this note, bullying and humiliating your salespeople will not make them more effective. A little positive reinforcement can go a long way.
    - The blind devotion to becoming a SaaS organization has resulted in ridiculous product quotas in some groups. People's jobs are threatened not for lack of performance, but for failing to sell the product de jour in the way leadership wants you to sell it.
    - Passing the buck. It's no secret that the support groups are not well paid. That being said, the people who (at least in theory) support the sales reps constantly shirk responsibility. It's always somebody else's problem with them.
    -Training: In several business units, you are not provided with much in the way of training. Leadership is very good at telling reps what to do but not so much in terms of helping you develop the skills to do it.

If you are new to sales and are considering starting as an AE or SAE, save yourself the grief and just start in the Inside Sales Group. At least you'll receive the sales process training you need and the client interactions to make it stick.

Advice to Senior Management- Put leaders in place who actually want to and are capable of leading.
    - You attract more flies with honey than with vinegar
    - Develop your salesforce to have critical thinking skills and recommend solutions based on these abilities. You are creating an army of SaaS robots.
    - Practice what you preach. Supposedly, your employment brand is "Growth Through Learning." Make sure this is actually happening. And, no, having 5 Lueco / Talent Network trainings per month is not real training.

Better Than Expected Experience Overall

Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat company perks. Camaraderie. Great pay and benefits. Innovation.

ConsInexperienced management. Company politics. Too much reliance on the "Kool Aid" - people reciting company values that don't have any idea what it means.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better training for management. Sales leaders don't always make for great managers.

Open, supportive work environment

Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsManagers, Directors, even VPs always have their doors open and they are more than happy to take suggestions and offer advice
    High-emphasis on keeping employees health. Physically, mentally, financially.

ConsCommunication between departments can be difficult, especially given how spread out the company is geographically

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote conversations across departments at every level

Worked for CareerBuilder? Contribute to the Community!