CareerBuilder

CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson

Matt Ferguson

192 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Open, supportive work environment

Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsManagers, Directors, even VPs always have their doors open and they are more than happy to take suggestions and offer advice
    High-emphasis on keeping employees health. Physically, mentally, financially.

ConsCommunication between departments can be difficult, especially given how spread out the company is geographically

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote conversations across departments at every level

Great company, tons of growth potential

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsIf you're willing to work hard, you can make a lot of money and climb the ladder at CB

ConsSales people were promoted into management with no idea how to manage.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate paths for sales reps to be managers and don't promote someone to manager just because they can sell.

Great Employer, Great Employees

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Pros- some of the brightest minds all in one place
    - highly competitive compensation for winning sales reps
    - work-life balance

Cons-non-sales roles tend to pay lower than the market average salaries

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic company to work for!

Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat room for growth.
    Pay is above average
    Disciplined freedom
    Senior Leadership is solid!

ConsAt times communication from upper management is not as clear as it could be.

Advice to Senior ManagementSame as above. Communication can lack at times.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Sales (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThis is a great company to learn how to sell, call 120 people a day and learn a great industry.....all while working in a young hip hop work place with a ton of benefits. The healthcare benefits, college, and transit programs were top notch. Having a chance to have a place in the world where you get to put people back to work is truly rewarding.

The T1, T2 and T3 training is truly unmatched by any other sales group

ConsYou will enter a sales role in which the true value of selling what a client wants is thrown out the door and be forced and or rewarded to sell products that the executive team wants you to sell. The flavor of the month will at times switch to flavor or the day, which is all micro managed by your manager who has the ability to listen to every phone call you make.

The comp plan is very hard to get used to if you have any financial responsibilities, but because everyone is under 27 years old CB (CareerBuilder) leverages that workforce who don't truly care about long term career plans or money. As a slap in the face, CB will bring in a financial consultant to tell you how to manage a paycheck that is 50% less than what your industry competition is paying. Yes, Monster will pay you $60k plus bonus when CB will only pay $30k plus bonus. Linkedin, Simplyhired, Indeed and ADP will all pay almost double for a starting salary.

If you make it more than 9 months, the 4th quarter payout of the comp plan will finally pay what it needs to. Each sales division is also set up differently. Enterprise is set up on revenue so you get paid when your clients use the product..........thus you will force your clients to post jobs when they don't need to, with clever training seminars to tell you how to create that talk track.

If you get a job, make sure you make your manager and every equal or greater manager in the company as your friend. Nepatism is top of mind at this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany of my coworkers believed and wanted to convey the following but true candid feedback is never welcomed at CB but only viewed that you were not part of the team. It is sad that managers see it as that rather than a way to truly become great.

1. Change the comp plan / account base growth plan so that reps can stay in a sales role with the same book and territory. This will allow customers to have the same rep for more than 6 months and truly grow win win relationships....Instead you have bread an internal thought process that after 1, 2 and maybe 3 years, the most successful reps are forced to leave their role or be fired or make no money. This is so common that reps will do WHATEVER IT TAKES to win and hit thier number. You have lost the equal amount of business since 2004 that you have brought in....This may be a factor

2. Protecting bad managers and bad sales people will only hurt you in the end and you will never truly grow from good to great. You are very top heavy in your management for the ROI that they bring to the market, teams and overall growth of the company. Salesforce can truly allow you to stop micro managing and reduce manager headcount as most of the leaders just look at data anyway. Rarely are they ever helping a salesperson get better and improve their craft. It is okay and actually very healthy to bring in new management to multiple segments of the business. Mark Landwer is a great example of this. STOP promoting or pushing great sales people into leadership..............they don't want it but it is their only option.

3. It is great that SaaS is a offering however, selling sticky products at 90% discounts without proper training or to just hit a number will ruin your name as a quality player in that space. You cannot scare or force reps to sell such items as they will sell them unethically................BUT maybe you don't care as the technolgy is sticky enough that the client will stay and your 100% turnover rate in sales will continue.

I've worked there a long time and I've learned its a boys club

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsPros
    - Pay is decent once you get to quota- which is near impossible unless your lucky a find company that wants to grow by 300-400 percent and wants to spend all that with you
    - Happy hours are fun, except do you really want to spend every waking hour with your coworkers
    - Training is okay, except that its always the same, it feels like its there to justify someones job

ConsCons
    - So many to list
    - Compensation until you get to quota
    - useless trainings (any reason to pull you off the floor)
    - unrealistic quota expectations; growth in accounts should be expected however the CEO said it himself "we lose as much as we grow" So how about better pay for maintaining accounts and large bonuses for bring in new business
    - Better support for sales; its a mess right now. We have to go through cues to get support for accounts, which takes time. Then rather then getting what you need support has an agenda of stuff they need to complete in order for them to be compensated.
    -Accountability over managers; Most managers are morons while others are down right horrible, there are far & few managers that are both bright & respectful

Advice to Senior Management1- review compensation- CB pays the smallest base in the industry- Glassdoor, Linkedin, Salesforce, Monster all pay a lot more
    2- review philosophy- Instead of throwing insane Christmas parties or zone parties give employees bonuses
    3- Understand that more audit/manager reviews need to be put in place and leadership needs to see the results. Bad managers are everywhere in CB, they're toxic horrible people that bring down your day instantly- Get rid of them, or at least let people say something without fear of losing their job in a survey or something

Project Manager

Project Manager - Recruiting (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsDo not get me wrong. It is a great environment to work in because all of the employees and around the same age (25-35) and it is a very social group.

ConsI am writing a "dissatisfied" review because this company will not pay you what market value is if you are in operations. They only care about the sales force, so if you are in sales i say go for it! On the operations side, almost everyone is ridiculously under paid and they know it and do not care. I work for the recruiting division called Personified and we have are losing people to different companies by the fistful. In the last two months, are top talent has been leaving the company at least 1 a week, usually two. The bosses keep calling us in to meetings to find out why everyone is leaving and there is only one answer. We are under paid. Honestly, a minimum of $10k underpaid. When we tell them that is why people are leaving, all they (bosses) ever say is, " well if they are just leaving for money they wont be happy and they'll regret it. Well you know what. Not a single person has yet. They will not acknowledge that the pay is an issue and it is pissing everyone off. When I hangout with my coworkers, which I do often (like i said the other employees are great) it could be ten of us out and 8 are complaining about pay and threatening to walk out the door any minute, they just do not have a job lined up yet. Management will not listen and CareerBuilder will not allocate more money for Operations. It is infuriating.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly pay people what we are worth. We do not even want much because i like my job, i just cannot sustain on this paycheck! The sales may get the deal signed, but it is your ops teams that make sure the product they sold WORKS!

Great people, culture and work-life balance but difficult to rise to senior leadership levels

Chicago, IL

ProsThe people at CB are fantastic. Many bright individuals and most are working toward the same goal. Work-Life balance is also excellent depending on your group. They reward employees extremely well and have some of the best events around.

ConsThe culture is so great top leaders rarely leave so it's hard to get new leadership ideas because the same group has been leading the company for so long. This makes it difficult to rise to those ranks from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue celebrating your people and find ways to simplify processes for the Sales teams. Sales is too frequently left to fend for themselves because the proper support systems are not in place.

Horrible

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsIt's a great entry level job, if you can sell the overall pay isn't horrible either.

ConsI don't even know where to start. I never missed goal, but felt like I was being pushed out the door as soon as I started. My boss kept talking about how CB has turnover, and that I needed to do better everyday to keep my job. I could see if I wasn't keeping up great activity or missing goal having those conversations, but it made me incredibly uncomfortable.
    My team went out almost every night, and since I don't drink & have a kid at home, I usually opted out. I got pretty well told off by my manager of that one, and was told I wasn't a team player.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not a popularity contest. Higher and promote the best people, not who you like. And you need more experience in management.

Fantastic company that knows how to invest in their employees.

Online Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits and salary
    Ardently enthusiastic managers constantly looking to get you promoted
    Fun company culture with ample resources at hand
    Great training
    Young and old alike all pretty fun people to work with

ConsMetrics driven environment
    Certain pockets of the vertical business unit are very cliquey
    If you begin to fall behind on your quota, life can become difficult and stressful
    Getting ahead can be difficult if you and your manager clash

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep checking in with your employees

Worked for CareerBuilder? Contribute to the Community!

CareerBuilder Videos

CareerBuilder – Why Work for Us?

Empowering people to find careers that let them live the life they want. Mission Employee-Driven. Customer-Focused. CareerBuilder’s mission is to empower employment. We are striving to organize all the world’s… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CareerBuilder reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson. All 192 reviews posted anonymously by CareerBuilder employees.