CareerBuilder Reviews

Reset
3.7
CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • You don't value your work/life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • I witnessed mediocre sales reps who sucked up to the Sales Director and move from sales (in 22 reviews)

• Work Life Balance did not exist - neither did a true career path (in 7 reviews)

1. Was a great place to start

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits at CareerBuilder are great: Half day Fridays in the summer, wellness reimbursement, PTO is generous, and health insurance is phenomenal. The people- I've work with a lot of great people over the years.

Cons

Careerbuilder has been a great place to work, but recently with our focus on becoming a SaaS company we've lost touch with our values. There's been a mass exodus of talent and more pressure than ever on those that remain. Salaries are below market and management is cliquish.

Advice to Management

Reward employees who have stuck it out for the long haul. We've been number one for so long in the job board market that I think we've gotten too cocky. Indeed and LinkedIN are making major gains against us and we don't seem to be putting up a fight. Our software is great, but it only runs well if our bread and butter- driving candidates- remains intact.

2. Senior Acount Executive

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy commute from my apartment. Health benefits are good.

Cons

All I know is myself and most of the people who sit around me on the sales floor are just waiting for the right opportunity to jump ship. This company isn't fun to work at any more. And I made more money when we were just selling advertising.

Advice to Management

Get back to the basics

Major Account Executive

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you are on a team that gels well you can enjoy your day to day life, learn a lot about the industry, and make lifelong friends. Some of the people there are the BEST in the industry.

Cons

The days when everyone was making good money and growing the business are long gone. Upper management is a boys club of guys who all went to West Virginia together. They are not there because of merit, they are there because they are college buddies. Many of the smarter up-and-comers have been leaving in droves as they see the writing on the wall: the company has hit it's plateau and has been passed up by its competition (Linkedin & Indeed for advertising, everyone else for software). In a few years they will be Monster part 2. The company is trying to pivot from advertising to software in order to garner a higher valuation on Wall Street when they go public (and upper management will make a ton of money), but no one in management knows how to run a software company and their software is some of the weakest in the market. As a sales rep expect to be pushed to sell crappy software that your clients don't want/need at the expense of giving them an advertising product that used to be very good.

Advice to Management

1. Get rid of the West Virginia conglomerate before it's too late and promote of the newer talent that still works there before you lose them. 2. Hire people who have experience running a software company if that's what you're going to sell.

5. Software Sales Executive

Current Employee - Software Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, enjoyable coworkers.

Cons

Low base pay, uncertain future.

6. Senior Account Executive

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to get trained in sales. Pretty great benefits. You can make real money.

Cons

Have to deal with a lot of office politics and gossip. Managers are not trained well to be successful managers. There are managers who verbally abuse & lead through a culture of fear instead of respect. You need to constantly watch your back. The product set does not have the right price point and the infrastructure is not in place to be a true software sales company.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about restructuring. Keep a closer eye on middle management.

If you want to make money then work here

Current Employee - Software Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great company culture, great benefits, great commission structure

Cons

You have to work for you money. It doesn't appear from thin air--which it shouldn't.

Advice to Management

Keep being honest and open with changes

Major Account Executive

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, amazing trips if you are a top performer and great culture.

Cons

Current identity crisis with too many changes all at once. Good talent is leaving and management doesn't seem to care. Compensation is mediocre for a SAAS company. Wake up, you are losing your "best asset" which is supposedly your people.

Advice to Management

Quit the micromanaging, deliver clear messages, value your top talent and get the ship back on its course. Its crashing.

Great company, great people!

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent company with tons of opportunity to advance your career if you are doing the right things. CareerBuilder is also transitioning quickly into the software space and developing software solutions that no other company can provide.

Cons

Not a con, but things move very fast and you need to keep up.

Advice to Management

Management is consistent and fair and rewards hard work- keep it up!

10. Great place to build a career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder (More than 3 years)

Pros

CareerBuilder is a great place to build a career, amazing talent development, supportive leadership, and high energy place. Work hard play hard environment with big potential rewards.

Cons

There is minimal change at the executive level, and so once your career has passed a certain level, there is little upward mobility.

MAE

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Once upon a time, you wouldn't be able to stop writing about the pros at CareerBuilder, now there are very few. Health benefits, 401K, wellness are all good. Pay is at or below the average compensation for sales reps in the technology industry. While the company is moving in a beneficial direction with huge upside potential, they have no idea how to get there. They have not made any new hires in regards to operations and that is where they are coming up short the most often.

Cons

Over the past 18 months, about 35% of the sales reps and leaders have left. Why is that? Well, in an effort to change as a company from an advertising focused company to a more SaaS company, CB has completely lost it's culture. While some of the middle and upper management is still there, they know nothing about software sales as they have been with CB for 7+ years and have never sold anything but job postings. With that said, there are unrealistic expectations in regards to everything sales related because none of the management overseeing the sales teams has ever done what they are asking their reps to do. This leads to a lot of unnecessary stress, an ever lowering morale within the company and a lot of resentment towards management. While I once loved working there and was proud to say I worked for CareerBuilder, I have never been more stressed out and demotivated. I am currently looking for a new opportunity and will be leaving as soon as I find one. So many good people have been pushed out or left due to the poor management that it is no longer a place anyone wants to be. With each person that leaves, I hear of more people that are on their way out. On top of that, there are so many new hires coming in that don't know anything about the core product set and are also trying to learn about that SaaS products that they are being set up to fail. Furthermore, because the managers really don't have a great grasp on how to sell software, they are tasking the reps with being on call trainers for the new hires which is getting in the way of getting anything else done. This is also in addition to the fact that the support staff knows very little about what they are doing as well, so the reps are asked to be Project Managers, Implementation Consultants, Integration Specialists and more when they are supposed to be focused on sales.

Advice to Management

Hire someone who knows what they are doing with technology/software! Stop re-purposing people who have been at CB for a decade to do something they know nothing about. You are losing all of your best people and CB doesn't seem to care. Stop trying to rush things and take your time on product roll-outs. There is a very bright future for CB, but it will never get their with the current leadership.

RSS Feed </> Embed