CareerBuilder

Employer Engaged

220 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Just Like High School - Complete with Cliques

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Colleagues are amazing and the benefits are nice, although quite similar to other companies.

Cons

It doesn't matter if you know your job and know it well, if management doesn't "favor" you, then you won't get a promotion, raise and may even lose your job. Also their pay is super low for their location and for the amount of work you actually do. And if, by chance, you have any organizational and time management skills, you won't survive here; it is very disorganized and haphazard, to say the least. They also like to hire contractors that many times they treat as employees, but don't want to provide benefits to.

It would be nice if you can recognize people for what they contribute, not who you like best. And pay your employees a reasonable rate for the area and for the work they do, if you indeed value them.

Strong Direction / Future Powerhouse

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is innovating. Even if we have acquired some of the innovation from Broadbean and EMSI, there is a lot of innovation. The CEO is not taking us out of one space (job postings), but he is refocusing us into other spaces.

Cons

Growing pains. It is a longer sales cycle and a different conversation with the customers.

Customers want to buy from people they like and trust. A ppt deck is not always the best way to facilitate that.

Use to be great, but has quickly fallen from grace.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to start a sales career, as they will take about anyone who applies for the inside sales role. The training is great too, and will help you get the year experience you need to apply to other organizations.

Cons

When I started it was great to be able to make an impact on companies I worked with by showing them the value CareerBuilder provides as a job board. By the end of my 4th year though, I found myself being forced to sell "saas" products to companies in order to keep from being fired. Most of the time these software solutions did not work, and were not wanted.

I watched people come from other organizations after being sold the dream of CB, only to be put on plan after 3 months because they had a bad book of business and were slated to be fired. When you are doing well they will love you, but when you wake up tomorrow, you quickly realize that no one cares what you did the previous month.

Put people in Director level positions that people WANT to work for. Respect should be earned, not demanded.

Intensity to get it right -

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This company gets it and gets it right. There is a fierce drive to be #1, lead in all aspects and do what it takes to win in the HR software market all while making sure clients realize value. Inspirational from 8-5 every day.

Cons

Its a hard job that drives the best to succeed.

Senor Account Executive

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great hours, ability to travel, great company perks

Cons

2014 Pay plan is horrible

Work to keep current employees happy

Great place to work

Current Employee - Desktop Support Technician II in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Desktop Support Technician II in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder

Pros

Powerful culture and technical leadership

Cons

Not enough beer fridges

Keep it up

Sales

Former Employee - Online Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Online Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Career growth is something that can happen at CB as long as you work hard and close deals.

Cons

Lack of understanding on direction. Promotions happen randomly and focused on the wrong things at times,

Great place to grow your career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

work-life balance, rewarding job, solid benefits, awesome awards trips...CB really invests in their employees

Cons

Salary and sometimes mixed messages about company direction from leadership.

One of the least stable jobs I've had.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I felt I was well paid here, for the work I was doing. There was occasionally some free food, lying around.

Cons

I worked here as a contractor. Me and my coworkers for the most part all worked roughly 40 hours a week. In all modesty I don't think I've ever been so good at a job, while at the same time being so scared I could be fired. I eventually quit, because they were one by one, letting my coworkers go with a weeks notice. Very typical corporate indifference to the well being of it's employees.

Great place to start a career

Former Employee - National Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - National Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are in a great market with this company you have unlimited earning potential. Particularly great place to work if you are starting a career.

Cons

If you are in a great market with this company you have unlimited earning potential. However, know that once you have a great year in commissions, be prepared to move on unless you have an opportunity to take over an office. If you do not, and you do not know an AVP or higher....start planning your next career move. Until then, have fun and work for a spot on the company trip.

This company epitomizes the statement: it is all about who you know.