CareerBuilder Reviews

• Chicago, IL

First job out of college and it has kept me for 7+ years

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Company, have learned so much, great CEO, wonderful co-workers.

Cons

Internal teams don't understand what affects our clients. Products are created and rolled out to quickly and are unsuccessful. Reps then look bad and take the blame for them. it makes iIt hard for sales reps to "sell" when we can't believe in the product offerings and are unsure if they will work.

2. Great company

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for growth within the company, good management, work/life balance is excellent, culture overall is great. Senior management truly care about their employees.

Cons

The comp plan is terrible. They sell you on the fact that you're going to make a lot of money selling when in reality, you're not being compensated for what you actually do sell. After a while, there is no challenge anymore. If you have a great year one year, you have to work ten times as hard to be successful and make more money the next year. No one wants to call and nag their clients to "post their jobs."

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing by rewarding those who are succeeding. There's absolutely no need to call people out by name when they are having a rough week or month. Everyone has bad months, it's unprofessional to make it known to the entire group.

3. Non-Sales Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, autonomy, fun employees and amazing benefits

Cons

Very low pay, very little chance of advancement

Advice to Management

Consider evaluating the salary of non-sales employees, to be more in-line with the current market conditions and other salaries.

5. Great sales career, best learning experience, loved my co-workers.

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, great culture, great benefits. Best education I could have asked for. They focus alot on training and promoting up, so it was a great learning experience.

Cons

Change the comp plan ASAP, or keep losing your top talent. After awhile of being in sales, it felt like I wasn't learning anything new, felt stale.

Advice to Management

Remember the core values for disciplined freedom, micromanagement got worse and worse. Even after I was tenured. One of the reasons for me leaving.

Not a bad company, but not a "tech" company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time

Pros

They pay well, there is a lot of good people that work there. Travel can be fun

Cons

A lot of your business is not in your control. If you inherit a bad book of business or lose a client, it can RUIN your career. Because of the commission structure, losing 1 big client will almost guarantee you won't be able to hit 100% of quota for the year. It's not a very high energy office, so mind your p's and q's.

Advice to Management

Simplify the commission structure. Find ways to work with new team members who take over a book that has a bad history. Spend more time continuously training and monitoring accounts for potential gains and losses within a salesperson's first 90 days.

7. Non-sales experience in sales at CB

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's great if you are young and you want to do sales. Every road leads to sales or else you stagnate and cannot enter management.

Cons

Feel and function of products is completely subordinate to speed and sales. If you are in a non-sales role, you will find it hard to get ideas out.

Advice to Management

Build careers - more internal training, more opportunities for people in analysis and IT to more into other roles and vice-versa. Finally, let at least a few "Ideas from Everywhere" be non-IT related.

8. Sales

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, Work life balance, tech company, always training on sales and the products. Always innovating in the HR space.
    I have worked in sales positions for different companies before and none have come close to the incentives, training, leadership and support as CareerBuilder does.
    Culture is amazing, happy hours all the time. The sales teams work together wtih the manager to plan events and strategies to discuss with clients.
    Technical support is something you learn as a sales rep. Good and bad you arent just asked to sell and say goodbye to the customer, you are given the opportunity to fully ingrain your services into the companies that need help.

Cons

Need to work hard
    You are not only sales you do have some rolls as a technical advisor. I enjoy this aspect as it brings me closer to my clients and help me builder deeper more meaningful relationships but some would say this is a waste of a sales person time. I disagree

Advice to Management

Keep heading in the direction you are going and stay private! we have power over the public competition this way.

9. Great work life balance / Poor base salaries

Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Careerbuilder.com is an innovative place to work and you really do get an opportunity to chart your own course. There is a great emphasis on problem solving and finding new solutions to old problems. The benefits and work life balance are terrific and among the best I've seen. Careerbuilder is a great place to pick up lots of skills and add to your versatility.

Cons

Base pay is simply not in line with market value. While benefits are there, they are overstated in your year end comp summary. Turnover is high due to low base pay. Promotion opportunities may be limited until another employee in the hierarchy departs via finding a higher paying job opportunity.

Advice to Management

Company values are great and need not change. If base pay does not go up, longevity will never be there.

10. Awesome

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome pay, awesome work life/balance, top notch sales training, great entry level job

Cons

This job is what you make of it, cons are simply opinions here.

11. Fun place to work

Current Employee - Sales Incentives Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Incentives Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with an awesome team. Everyone is very collaborative and flexible. You know your team has your back. Great place for someone to work right out of college.

Cons

Poor pay for non-sales. Can be overly stressful.