CareerBuilder Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated October 22, 2014
3.6

CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • Work life balance is really good, I never saw people burned out from overwork (in 40 reviews)

• Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • I witnessed mediocre sales reps who sucked up to the Sales Director and move from sales (in 16 reviews)

• No office culture or morale due to extremely high turnover (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

206 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people, culture and work-life balance but difficult to rise to senior leadership levels

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people at CB are fantastic. Many bright individuals and most are working toward the same goal. Work-Life balance is also excellent depending on your group. They reward employees extremely well and have some of the best events around.

Cons

The culture is so great top leaders rarely leave so it's hard to get new leadership ideas because the same group has been leading the company for so long. This makes it difficult to rise to those ranks from within.

Continue celebrating your people and find ways to simplify processes for the Sales teams. Sales is too frequently left to fend for themselves because the proper support systems are not in place.

I've worked there a long time and I've learned its a boys club

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

Pros
    - Pay is decent once you get to quota- which is near impossible unless your lucky a find company that wants to grow by 300-400 percent and wants to spend all that with you
    - Happy hours are fun, except do you really want to spend every waking hour with your coworkers
    - Training is okay, except that its always the same, it feels like its there to justify someones job

Cons

Cons
    - So many to list
    - Compensation until you get to quota
    - useless trainings (any reason to pull you off the floor)
    - unrealistic quota expectations; growth in accounts should be expected however the CEO said it himself "we lose as much as we grow" So how about better pay for maintaining accounts and large bonuses for bring in new business
    - Better support for sales; its a mess right now. We have to go through cues to get support for accounts, which takes time. Then rather then getting what you need support has an agenda of stuff they need to complete in order for them to be compensated.
    -Accountability over managers; Most managers are morons while others are down right horrible, there are far & few managers that are both bright & respectful

1- review compensation- CB pays the smallest base in the industry- Glassdoor, Linkedin, Salesforce, Monster all pay a lot more
    2- review philosophy- Instead of throwing insane Christmas parties or zone parties give employees bonuses
    3- Understand that more audit/manager reviews need to be put in place and leadership needs to see the results. Bad managers are everywhere in CB, they're toxic horrible people that bring down your day instantly- Get rid of them, or at least let people say something without fear of losing their job in a survey or something

Horrible

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a great entry level job, if you can sell the overall pay isn't horrible either.

Cons

I don't even know where to start. I never missed goal, but felt like I was being pushed out the door as soon as I started. My boss kept talking about how CB has turnover, and that I needed to do better everyday to keep my job. I could see if I wasn't keeping up great activity or missing goal having those conversations, but it made me incredibly uncomfortable.
    My team went out almost every night, and since I don't drink & have a kid at home, I usually opted out. I got pretty well told off by my manager of that one, and was told I wasn't a team player.

It's not a popularity contest. Higher and promote the best people, not who you like. And you need more experience in management.

Fantastic company that knows how to invest in their employees.

Former Employee - Online Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Online Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits and salary
    Ardently enthusiastic managers constantly looking to get you promoted
    Fun company culture with ample resources at hand
    Great training
    Young and old alike all pretty fun people to work with

Cons

Metrics driven environment
    Certain pockets of the vertical business unit are very cliquey
    If you begin to fall behind on your quota, life can become difficult and stressful
    Getting ahead can be difficult if you and your manager clash

Keep checking in with your employees

Great place to work

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Innovative Products
    -Great executive team
    -Amazing trips

Cons

- High turnover across all offices

Good Entry Level Job

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (less than an year)

Pros

very Cultured and fun. Lots of incentives!

Cons

You are a number, had a turn and burn type feel

worked there 10 years

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good career path with opportunities to be promoted
    provide top notch sales training
    amazing CEO that you can really believe in and trust
    great company for new grads to start out at

Cons

The culture has changed dramatically over the years and they don't really care about their employees anymore. Sales salaries are 50% less than current market rates. Mid level leadership is horrible. Clients complain because accounts change reps so often, it is very difficult to build a relationship with a client and earn their trust. Clients feel each new rep just calls them to pitch them the product "flavor of the month". Mass exodus of talent in recent years - many visionary and innovative managers, higher level leaders, and top performing sales reps have left the company in the last 2 years. This is never a good sign!

Get back to basics. Start caring more about the experiences you are giving your clients. We used to say the people and sales reps were the #1 differentiator between CB and the competition. The constant reorganization of groups and movement of accounts has really hurt your reputation and made clients view you as a vendor not a business partner.

Pay your employees what they are worth! Everyone I know that's left is making twice as much at their new job.

Middle management needs to realize that loyal long term employees are valuable to the organization and that you should do everything you can to try to retain them.

Take a long hard look at the sales managers that you have in place. People don't quit companies they quit managers. If you are seeing high voluntary turnover in a group or on a team that should be a red flag that there is a problem. Directors should be evaluated and held accountable for this as well, team managers follow their leaders direction.

Culture isn't what it used to be. Teams aren't competitive and people aren't happy to be there. Take a day to really walk the sales floors and look and listen. People mope around and have frowns on their face. People are defeated and don't feel they can win anymore. The energy and attitudes are very negative.

Change needs to be implemented now before you loose more top talent.

An AMAZING career opportunity for those energetic, passionate & driven leaders who are agile & deal with constant change

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Great Fast paced Culture,
    -Constant Innovation and is never boring,
    -Advancement Opportunities up to VP level,
    -Exceptional Visionary CEO,
    -Solid diversified solution mix with many solutions that truly impact almost any business,
    -Environment where you can be rewarded for achievements when you perform,
    -Amazing Kick-off and Incentive Trip Events,
    -Uncapped High commission potential (hence below industry base pay references),
    -Energetic and Caring Peers,
    -Great flexibility if you are asserative and confident,
    -Strong Senior Leadership, a maturing company that grows and expands,
    -Top Tier Sales Professionals - work with some of the best and brightest,
    -Opportunity for Work/Life Balance,
    -Company open to employee ideas at all levels
    -Discriplined Freedom after you earn the right and pay your dues!

Cons

Really these are areas of Opportunity...
    -Lagging Sales Training on complex software solution selling at the AE/SAE level,
    -Compensation Plans created mainly by finance anaylsts do not work in real-world scenarios,
    -Sustainability of larger deals based on solution scalability and internal processes which hinder high net worth client relationships at the Enterprise level,
    -Account Support personnel pay is far below average for desired role and responsibilities which can hinder even the best of sales professionals, client satisfaction/account transitioning,
    -Success Measurement is at times skewed in certain areas so at times good people get passed up over others who are perceived to be a "better" performer,
    -Product Management and Middle Sales Management is somewhat out of touch which can impact the pro of having Strong Senior Leadership and their decision making.

Internal war exists of what CB is becoming, a SaaS company or to remain a job board with access to tremendous amounts of data...Clients are somewhat confused and the message being placed out to the industry is very much mixed at a time when it should be unified and clear from the Top Down orginating from Corporate Marketing/Communications to the general public. Market the evolution of CB and let the feet on the street reinforce the message. Align internal teams to work together not as silos, therefore measurement needs to be structured so that as a team, each have skin in the game vs. everyone having their own agenda. When decisions are made that effect clients directly, proactive consideration should be given for the impact to the relationships and on a case by case basis, modification should be proactively considered vs. a standardized talk track. Management should be more open to career pathing/development for their employees. Get the sales managers to work their own 1-2 house accounts to stay connected with the trends in the sales process and industry. As others have stated, attrition of proven sales reps has been a negative trend (but many appear to go onto great opportunities), Those who are consistent, top performers and loyal need to be heard and listened to more with regards to constructive criticism and trends noticed in the field.

Good place to start a career

Current Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, quick promotions, good culture, good training

Cons

Nepotism, high expectations, product not what it once was

Innovate or die, which they are doing.

Great place to work and grow!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic place to work! Management truly cares about their employees and encourages growth. Great pay and benefits.

Cons

There are not cons - truly a fantastic place to work.