CareerBuilder

CareerBuilder Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson

Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • Work-Life balance is also excellent depending on your group(in 34 reviews)

• Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities(in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • I witnessed mediocre sales reps who sucked up to the Sales Director and move from sales(in 22 reviews)

• No office culture or morale due to extremely high turnover(in 12 reviews)

Great Company

Client Advocate (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThere are way too many pro's about this company to list, but a few of the majors:
    Great work environment, benefits are absolutely amazing, exponential room for growth, management is completely open door and encouraging!

ConsThe only complaint I would have is that the base salaries are lower than industry standards, but the bonus structure and benefits make up for it!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue leading and building the way you are. Great company values!

A great place to work

Online Specialist Account Manager (Inside Sales) (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsA lot of great people, fun environment / culture

ConsNot the best leadership in place

A great sales building block with a lot of upward opportunity

Account Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe company culture is by far the best things about working for CareerBuilder. There are a lot of company events/happy hours, half day Fridays in the summer, and TRIP. Trip was one of the best experiences of my life. A 1 week all expenses paid for you and a plus 1 to an exotic location. Everyone is really nice and will do anything they can to help you.

ConsActivity - hitting stupid metrics that do not necessarily result in sales to stay off "plan". Change is the only constant not that this is the worst thing in the world but sometimes changes are not communicated very well

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep evolving to keep up in the market place. Things have changed so much in the 3+ years since I have been here and in a great way!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Potential for Big Opportunities

Prosgive you the tools and feedback to win big, great benefits and awesome perks

Constoo much nonsense when it comes to metrics

Advice to Senior Managementmanagers who have never been in a management role are difficult to work with- not everyone is meant for management

Great for learning and working with new technology

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Norcross, GA

ProsGreat environment and great people. I'm faced with challenging new problems everyday so it's impossible for burnout. Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities. They really care about employees growing.

ConsCompensation is the only real complaint. It is below average and causes a lot great engineers to move to different companies.

Great company culture!

ProsFun and energetic environment and great company drive!

ConsIf you aren't in sales, you are NOT making the money that you want to be making. All departments are under paid BESIDES sales...

Advice to Senior ManagementEqual out the pay before you lose a good portion of quality employees in customer care...

Disappointing

Account Executive (Former Employee) Norcross, GA

Pros-- The company, as a whole, treats employees well.
    -- Great domestic travel opportunities to visit customers.
    -- The incentives and perks are ok.
    -- Worked with some fun people.

Cons-- 1st year salary at 100% of quota is about 65-70k.......not the 98K that you are told by the recruiter/management.
    -- CareerBuilder really needs to take a step back and look at their management base, as immaturity runs rampant throughout the middle - senior level sales managers.
    -- If you are not in the CB Clique.... Don't bother. I witnessed mediocre sales reps who sucked up to the Sales Director and move from sales...to management...back to sales, because they "felt" like it and all the while leaving their sales team struggling without leadership.
    -- Training consisted of learning over 100 different products in the matter of a 3 day course that begins on your first day of work.
    -- Ridiculous incremental quotas. You must sell the "Flavor of the Week" as opposed to something that the customer actually wants or needs.
    -- Revolving door for sales reps. Customers definitely don't expect you to be their rep for very long.... And that makes it hard to build trust and a relationship.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to lead and take responsibility for your team. Give advice and examples to your sales team to solve problems.... Don't just say: how much, when do they renew, and how much of an up sell?

Assessment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRelaxed environment as far as the work place is concerned

ConsUnprofessional managerial staff when it comes to handling business

Advice to Senior ManagementBe professional take responsibility as owner

Good company, but...

Major Account Executive (Former Employee) Edison, NJ

ProsAbundant resources, very good training and product offerings.

ConsA boys club atmosphere, very political and fraternal. If you attended WVU you are in with the clan, if not, you are an outsider. Un-realistic sales goals and overall expectations regarding time frame for closed deals. Micro managing to the hilt. VERY high turnover creates difficult climate with your named accounts. Clients don't expect you to be their rep very long so it makes it very hard to build trust. Clients DO NOT come first. It's all about revenue generation. Sometimes in dis-honest ways. Management does not provide you the time to build the trust and create a collaborative relationship. I was out the door at YTD 93 % quota and with multiple active all jobs trials. Management never gave me the chance to convert the deals. They didn't want to hear about delays on the client side. Very cut-throat, stressful atmosphere. The summer hours and work life balance are a joke! Perhaps this benefit is the case if you are not on quota. I worked 60-70 hour weeks, worked weekend and did not take a vacation during my time there. A lot more to say, but my time is worth more to me than to rant.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice, read the above and notice when someone works hard and is dedicated to building client relationships. All accounts are not alike! Am I bitter? I sure am. I busted my butt and was let go in just under a year!

Best Sales Jobs in the country

Sales (Current Employee)

Pros-Very high salary; you will be more than fairly compensated.
    -Travel and pace are exhilarating if you can handle it.
    -Our products work flawlessly! Sell things that help people find jobs and feel good about what you do. Our products are underpriced and our competitors, like Monster and LinkedIn, cannot touch us in terms of data, mobile optimization, and market share.
    -We work with almost every company so we know: it doesn't get better than this.
    -Unlimited expense account; stay in nice places, eat out wherever you want with clients, buy gifts for clients, ect.

Cons-You can lose your job at any time.
    -Despite messaging to the contrary, playing favorites is an issue. When you come onboard, be friends with everyone and exceed your number.
    -Win. If not, you will not be able to hit your number and will eventually be offered the chance to voluntarily terminate your employment.
    --If you are a great rep with a bad book, you're screwed. If you are a bad rep with a great book, you can win and not even show up to work. Be sure to understand the book before you take a job here. Ask: "Why did the last rep leave?"

Advice to Senior Management-Do not let people jump jobs after one year. Hitting your number should not be an indicator of your ability to lead teams or get promoted. The turnover is bad for client relationships and encourages front-loading of contracts and other bad behavior.
    -Blind devotion to activity and certain product lines is juvenile and undermines long term growth.
    -Major wealth disparity (top sales make $400k+, client support make ~$30k) could be an issue but seems ok for now.

Worked for CareerBuilder? Contribute to the Community!