CareerBuilder Reviews

Reset
3.8
CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • You don't value your work/life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • I witnessed mediocre sales reps who sucked up to the Sales Director and move from sales (in 22 reviews)

• Work Life Balance did not exist - neither did a true career path (in 7 reviews)

1. Account Executive

Pros

Culture and the opportunity working here creates

Cons

Competitive landscape and not acknowledging competition

Advice to Management

reduce enterprise sales turnover from 50% YOY

Great place to start but not to stay

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people and the culture keep me coming in the door

Cons

VERY low pay, dismal pay increases even with a promotion. Constant change with little change management. Most management has been in place for over 10 years and is scared of new ideas/ or ways to do everyday tasks.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they are worth so they stay at the company they love. Bring in new talent from outside the company for a fresh approach to the needs of the business.

If you want to make money then work here

Current Employee - Software Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great company culture, great benefits, great commission structure

Cons

You have to work for you money. It doesn't appear from thin air--which it shouldn't.

Advice to Management

Keep being honest and open with changes

5. Was a great place to start

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits at CareerBuilder are great: Half day Fridays in the summer, wellness reimbursement, PTO is generous, and health insurance is phenomenal. The people- I've work with a lot of great people over the years.

Cons

Careerbuilder has been a great place to work, but recently with our focus on becoming a SaaS company we've lost touch with our values. There's been a mass exodus of talent and more pressure than ever on those that remain. Salaries are below market and management is cliquish.

Advice to Management

Reward employees who have stuck it out for the long haul. We've been number one for so long in the job board market that I think we've gotten too cocky. Indeed and LinkedIN are making major gains against us and we don't seem to be putting up a fight. Our software is great, but it only runs well if our bread and butter- driving candidates- remains intact.

6. Major Account Executive

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time

Pros

Great company culture, executive team understands generation gap and is reacting with positive changes. Great Benefits Summer Friday half days

Cons

The only thing constant is change. Company is still young so change is imminent.

Advice to Management

Continue being transparent with the frontline teams.

7. Major Account Executive

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you are on a team that gels well you can enjoy your day to day life, learn a lot about the industry, and make lifelong friends. Some of the people there are the BEST in the industry.

Cons

The days when everyone was making good money and growing the business are long gone. Upper management is a boys club of guys who all went to West Virginia together. They are not there because of merit, they are there because they are college buddies. Many of the smarter up-and-comers have been leaving in droves as they see the writing on the wall: the company has hit it's plateau and has been passed up by its competition (Linkedin & Indeed for advertising, everyone else for software). In a few years they will be Monster part 2. The company is trying to pivot from advertising to software in order to garner a higher valuation on Wall Street when they go public (and upper management will make a ton of money), but no one in management knows how to run a software company and their software is some of the weakest in the market. As a sales rep expect to be pushed to sell crappy software that your clients don't want/need at the expense of giving them an advertising product that used to be very good.

Advice to Management

1. Get rid of the West Virginia conglomerate before it's too late and promote of the newer talent that still works there before you lose them. 2. Hire people who have experience running a software company if that's what you're going to sell.

Going downhill pretty fast

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder (More than 3 years)

Pros

A decent place to start and learn. Their's typically very little stress and a good work-life balance. We have a decent office for the suburbs and a nice break room with a pool table. The rewards are good for employees in the top % (but they are going away). There are travel opportunities for some. There is also a feeling of doing something good for society. Coworkers are generally nice.

Cons

People are dropping like flies. In the past few months, more people than I can count have left sales, technology, design, and product development. Pay is well below market. Pay increases are capped for most. Leadership either doesn't care or doesn't know what they are doing. The company is afraid to take on competitors and we're losing market share big time. Perks like trip are slowly going away. Kickoff is gone. They preach colocation, but many leaders work from home, or don't engage with actual teams. Leaders from the very top and down that have under performed are never replaced, they just keep their role. We are trying to turn it around by going the SaaS route, but we're years behind from an innovation standpoint. Jobs are mostly from recruiters that many job seekers don't like.

Advice to Management

Find new leadership. Bring in people that have successfully turned an organization around. Pay for more senior engineers, and pay them to stay and pass on knowledge. Get real product people starting at the top.

9. Great job

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you hit your numbers, sky's the limit. Very innovative company. Great people. Flexible work schedule if you're doing what you need to do and because there's a lot of travel involved.

Cons

Mixed messages coming from the top down. Company is in the middle of a big transition, which is very cool to be part of, but leadership needs to be more clear about strategy going forward. They are working on it, and I respect that. I think CB is going to continue to be a dominate force for many, many years - we've just got to get through the current transition period as the business transforms into the leading SaaS company it can and will be.

Advice to Management

Really need clear, concise, cohesive communication moving forward. This is a really challenging job as it is... which I love, but if we're going to win as employees, leadership needs to be on the same page and align sales incentives with CB's priorities.

Great company, great people!

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent company with tons of opportunity to advance your career if you are doing the right things. CareerBuilder is also transitioning quickly into the software space and developing software solutions that no other company can provide.

Cons

Not a con, but things move very fast and you need to keep up.

Advice to Management

Management is consistent and fair and rewards hard work- keep it up!

11. Great Place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, great people, and wonderful culture

Cons

Pay can be lower than other employers in the area

Advice to Management

Stay transparent. Talk to your employees, do not dictate.

RSS Feed </> Embed