CareerBuilder

CareerBuilder Reviews

Updated Apr 19, 2014

CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson

Matt Ferguson

Pros:
  • "Work-Life balance is also excellent depending on your group"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities"
    in 37 reviews
Cons:
  • "A decent portion of your bonus is tied to the sales survey given to the sales reps you support"
    in 14 reviews
  • "No office culture or morale due to extremely high turnover"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

3 years in and still loving it!

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFantastic people, quick opportunities for advancement, high compensation, freedom to run your business the way you see fit! Benefits are amazing and products are state-of-the-art.

ConsFor some of the initial roles, there's a bit of hand-holding. But there has to be! As we move into software business, change is rapid and we've got to stay out in front of it. If agility isn't your thing, this might not be the sales company for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep allowing the disciplined freedom approach!

Great Company

Client Advocate (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for less than a year

ProsThere are way too many pro's about this company to list, but a few of the majors:
Great work environment, benefits are absolutely amazing, exponential room for growth, management is completely open door and encouraging!

ConsThe only complaint I would have is that the base salaries are lower than industry standards, but the bonus structure and benefits make up for it!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue leading and building the way you are. Great company values!

Great experience

Account Manager (Current Employee)
Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat experience, room to grow

Conslow on the pay scale

A great place to work

Online Specialist Account Manager (Inside Sales) (Current Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA lot of great people, fun environment / culture

ConsNot the best leadership in place

A great sales building block with a lot of upward opportunity

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company culture is by far the best things about working for CareerBuilder. There are a lot of company events/happy hours, half day Fridays in the summer, and TRIP. Trip was one of the best experiences of my life. A 1 week all expenses paid for you and a plus 1 to an exotic location. Everyone is really nice and will do anything they can to help you.

ConsActivity - hitting stupid metrics that do not necessarily result in sales to stay off "plan". Change is the only constant not that this is the worst thing in the world but sometimes changes are not communicated very well

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep evolving to keep up in the market place. Things have changed so much in the 3+ years since I have been here and in a great way!

Potential for Big Opportunities

I have been working at CareerBuilder

Prosgive you the tools and feedback to win big, great benefits and awesome perks

Constoo much nonsense when it comes to metrics

Advice to Senior Managementmanagers who have never been in a management role are difficult to work with- not everyone is meant for management

Great for learning and working with new technology

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat environment and great people. I'm faced with challenging new problems everyday so it's impossible for burnout. Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities. They really care about employees growing.

ConsCompensation is the only real complaint. It is below average and causes a lot great engineers to move to different companies.

Great company culture!

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFun and energetic environment and great company drive!

ConsIf you aren't in sales, you are NOT making the money that you want to be making. All departments are under paid BESIDES sales...

Advice to Senior ManagementEqual out the pay before you lose a good portion of quality employees in customer care...

Good company, but...

Major Account Executive (Former Employee)
Edison, NJ

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time for less than a year

ProsAbundant resources, very good training and product offerings.

ConsA boys club atmosphere, very political and fraternal. If you attended WVU you are in with the clan, if not, you are an outsider. Un-realistic sales goals and overall expectations regarding time frame for closed deals. Micro managing to the hilt. VERY high turnover creates difficult climate with your named accounts. Clients don't expect you to be their rep very long so it makes it very hard to build trust. Clients DO NOT come first. It's all about revenue generation. Sometimes in dis-honest ways. Management does not provide you the time to build the trust and create a collaborative relationship. I was out the door at YTD 93 % quota and with multiple active all jobs trials. Management never gave me the chance to convert the deals. They didn't want to hear about delays on the client side. Very cut-throat, stressful atmosphere. The summer hours and work life balance are a joke! Perhaps this benefit is the case if you are not on quota. I worked 60-70 hour weeks, worked weekend and did not take a vacation during my time there. A lot more to say, but my time is worth more to me than to rant.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice, read the above and notice when someone works hard and is dedicated to building client relationships. All accounts are not alike! Am I bitter? I sure am. I busted my butt and was let go in just under a year!

Trending The Wrong Direction

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- CareerBuilder truly is a great organization that employs some fantastic people.
- The bonus potential and rewards trip are excellent motivators
- Benefits are top-notch (wellness reimbursement is an exceptionally nice perk)
- You will gain valuable knowledge that will allow you to excel in other roles

Cons- Management. Hire people who actually know how to LEAD other people. Note: there is a big difference between management and leadership.
- To continue on this note, bullying and humiliating your salespeople will not make them more effective. A little positive reinforcement can go a long way.
- The blind devotion to becoming a SaaS organization has resulted in ridiculous product quotas in some groups. People's jobs are threatened not for lack of performance, but for failing to sell the product de jour in the way leadership wants you to sell it.
- Passing the buck. It's no secret that the support groups are not well paid. That being said, the people who (at least in theory) support the sales reps constantly shirk responsibility. It's always somebody else's problem with them.
-Training: In several business units, you are not provided with much in the way of training. Leadership is very good at telling reps what to do but not so much in terms of helping you develop the skills to do it.

If you are new to sales and are considering starting as an AE or SAE, save yourself the grief and just start in the Inside Sales Group. At least you'll receive the sales process training you need and the client interactions to make it stick.

Advice to Senior Management- Put leaders in place who actually want to and are capable of leading.
- You attract more flies with honey than with vinegar
- Develop your salesforce to have critical thinking skills and recommend solutions based on these abilities. You are creating an army of SaaS robots.
- Practice what you preach. Supposedly, your employment brand is "Growth Through Learning." Make sure this is actually happening. And, no, having 5 Lueco / Talent Network trainings per month is not real training.

Worked for CareerBuilder? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CareerBuilder reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson. All 395 reviews posted anonymously by CareerBuilder employees.