CareerBuilder Reviews

Reset
3.9
CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • You don't value your work/life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • I witnessed mediocre sales reps who sucked up to the Sales Director and move from sales (in 22 reviews)

• Work Life Balance did not exist - neither did a true career path (in 7 reviews)

1. i love this place!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

CareerBuilder is truly a place where an individual can grow. The sky is the limit here, if you are willing to put in the work and maintain a positive attitude you can achieve anything here. I truly believe that last statement. - Great compensation/benefits - Great atmosphere - Amazing leadership - Tools, tools, tools, if you want training you will get it there is always someone with an answer here - Tuition reimbursement - The list goes on and on, that said I am truly grateful to work for such an outstanding organization and I am looking forward in continuing to progress my professional career here!

Cons

I have no cons, CareerBuilder is awesome!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your are doing, this place is great!

Cold Calling on Dead Leads to sell company's job postings when nobody is hiring in a down economy.

Current Employee - Account Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Chicago, IL

Pros

Fun company events, such as: Playing Softball on Wrigley Field, BBQ's, Field Trips. Young Co-workers. Fun office.

Cons

Bottom Line... I was in a Cold-Calling position... Never fun to get yelled at by a company's gatekeeper at 8am. (Fun way to start your day).

Come here to grow your career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

great benefits, great people, great opporunities for growth

Cons

don't pay industry standard salaries but try to make it up in other ways

Hold onto your hats.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

It was great to be able to say that I worked there. The reputation was great. It was also easy to get to in the Loop.

Cons

It was like a whole bunch of college kids working together in a pressure cooker of sale sales sales. Instead of seeing the skills and talent in people that might be able to do more than they were asked for, they looked down on you if deadlines were not met. Even if the reason for not meeting them was because you discovered that how you were doing it was not going to work.

Advice to Management

Take a moment and see it from the level of the person you are speaking to. It is not always the same in the trenches as it is in the management office.

I have learned more in 4 years here at CareerBuilder than any of the many other jobs I have had.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

CareerBuilder is a fantastic company that understands the value of its employees. They have phenomenal training, earned advancement in your career path, & the best benefits I have ever seen. The pay is competitive, you will make as much work as you are putting in. The consistently encourage our personal and professional growth. Leadership is always there for help, unlike other organizations where they sit in their ivory towers waiting for you to figure it out or fail. The sales resources are virtually unlimited and the peers in this office are always supportive. I fully enjoy my job, even after all my time here.

Cons

The only real downside is the same as every other downside in a sales role...it's sales. There is pressure, expectations, and the occasional unhappy potential client. At least here, there is always support to get you to your numbers.

7. positive

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great Benefits Understanding Management Freedom to run your own "business" Not micro-managed Great Location Downtown near all CTA buses and trains

Cons

Pay is not very competitive but even operational (non sales) employees receive quarterly bonuses based on quarterly goals they set with their management as well as how well the company performs

Advice to Management

Pay your employees for their worth. Many people are leaving because they can find jobs at companies nearby with better salaries.

8. Like getting paid to go to school

Current Employee - VBU Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - VBU Sales in Chicago, IL

Pros

- premium skill development platform - rewards hard workers - Cars.com + Groupon are two companies that actively sought to duplicate CareerBuilders entry level sales foRce success.

Cons

- Narrow Vision + Lack of Flexibility from the top leadership.... Leadership has a round hole that they insist everyone fit into.... End result is frustrated + demotivated sales teams.

Advice to Management

The VBU does what you want it to do but I believe it's future+ long term success require a significant philosophical process change. The best reps in the VBU consistently report "hating their lives". Figure out a different productivity optimizer other than activity blahnonstop,

Customer Care

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

Pros

*Great culture *Great people *Plenty of additional learning opportunities *Most people are passionate about success *Constant change makes it exciting

Cons

*Favoritism abounds *Recognition doesn't always go to the people who deserve it. *Communication between departments can be lacking causing ineffiencies

Advice to Management

Make sure you are rewarding and recognizing the people who make your business run like clockwork. Improve communication between departments by holding joint planning meetings or just ensuring notification is given.

10. Motivating and letting you run your business

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

*Education. They let you take whatever you want that peaks your interest *half day Fridays during the summer. *Jean Fridays *Quiet office and manager ready to answer any question

Cons

*Training program still being changed.. *Software system we use doesnt always work *Satellite offices are not always as connected or similar to the main office

Advice to Management

*Really highlight success stories and share with your targetted opportunity clients instead of making the rep search them out. You guys get communications I think we don't hear about!

Definitely a learning experience.

Current Employee - Online Consultant - Ebu in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Online Consultant - Ebu in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good Benefits. Good money if you get lucky, make quota, and jump through their hoops.

Cons

My team lead was completely incompetent and biased. (The fact that you"re good at sales doesn't mean you will be a good manager) They honestly don't care about their employees. The work itself is very repetitive and boring. Overall, CareerBuilder claims many different things such as the fact that their employees are happy or that there is room to move up within the company. While there is some truth to this on rare occasions, overall it is false. The competitive environment creates a great sense of hostility among coworkers. I have witnessed employees get thrown under the bus by their colleagues as well as their team leads. When you are offered a position with this company, take it for the experience but I would strongly recommend looking for another job within a few months. PS - I have worked here for a while and have been successful.

Advice to Management

You give some team leads way too much credit. Sometimes, there is more to success than numbers (which is difficult to comprehend because this is a sales job).

RSS Feed </> Embed