CareerBuilder Reviews

Reset
3.8
CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • You don't value your work/life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • I witnessed mediocre sales reps who sucked up to the Sales Director and move from sales (in 22 reviews)

• Work Life Balance did not exist - neither did a true career path (in 7 reviews)

1. Careerbuilder is an excellent place for software engineers to develop their skills and grow their careers.

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder

Pros

Careerbuilder has an excellent environment and culture for technology professionals. With a large number of talented developers concentrated in one area, Careerbuilder's technology center in Norcross provides a young developer with an excellent opportunity to learn and grow. The company has a strong tendency to promote from within, and many employees have stayed with the company for almost a decade and enjoyed positions in multiple teams. Careerbuilder prides itself in being an agile oriented software company.

Cons

The technology floor is a bit stuffy for the fact that the cubicle walls are higher and more divisive than at some other companies. This reduces casual conversation and social interaction which are key to an agile workplace.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

2. There's a reason it's one of the best places to start a career.

Current Employee - Interactive Sales Specialist-U30 in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Interactive Sales Specialist-U30 in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder

Pros

The company really cares about it's employees in every possible way. Their basic philosophy is that if they keep their employees happy they will A. be loyal and B. be more productive. They constantly do things for their employees, throwing parties with tons of food and booze, taking us bowling on company time, having a picnic at the Chicago Field Museum, throwing a lavish yearly kick off party with speeches by people like Colin Powell.

Cons

It's a sales job, which means lots of rejection and lots of time spent chasing down prospective clients. It's not an easy job and it's something that takes alot of work to get good at.

Advice to Management

I think the veteran sales guys should be in the tougher territories. I say this because the hard sell is not a great place for a beginner to start off.

3. CareerBuilder review

I have been working at CareerBuilder

Pros

opportunities for advancement, great benefits including gym fees and 401k, a lot of communication in the organization, and a fun place to work as well! the company hosts a lot of events, cubs tickets etc to give employees something fun to look forward to. they provide a lot of ongoing training which is helpful too. hard work is definetly recognized at cb, so if you work hard you can get where you want to be in the company. finally, careerbuilder welcomes ideas from employees in all different departments, encouraging them to submit ideas for advertising, new products and services, etc

Cons

its a long commute some days

Advice to Management

keep communication open as company continues to grow

5. Careerbuilder.com is a great place to start a career if you don't mind a little hard work.

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at CareerBuilder

Pros

Careerbuilder is a company that has an amazing culture / environment as well as opportunity. I love the people that I work with, and there is a big emphasis placed on having a fun culture in the office. There are always opportunities available to grow personally and professionally, and advancemtent is happening all the time. In the 2.5 years I've been here, I've been promoted multiple times and have experienced a very noticable upgrade in pay.

Cons

The entry level position is tough. It takes a lot of pushing through monotonous tasks and seeing the big picture. No one likes to do cold calls all day, but luckily they are professional calls so it isn't too bad. You definitely have to have a good positive attitude though, because dialing all day can be rather draining.

Advice to Management

THe greatest thing about the management is that they've pretty much all done the entry level job. I think they do a great job relating to new hires and showing people the possible opportunities that there are. It's important for a company to message the mission to each division and show everyone where they fit in with that - Careerbuilder does this well.

6. Careerbuilder - The opportunity is what you want it to be.

Current Employee - Senior Team Lead in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Team Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder

Pros

The culture & work environment. The people I work with come from a diverse background. I'm constantly challenged and rewarded when I do well. Careerbuilder has a great PTO policy which allows for a great work life balance.

Cons

80% of the employees are in sales so if you are looking for a non-sales position they are tough to come by.

Advice to Management

The growth over the last several years has been amazing; how much longer can we expect to see this type of growth or do we foresee it leveling off?

7. Very happy

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder

Pros

Working at Careerbuilder I've found some of the best friends I've ever met. Not only is my team great, we have a great work environment too. I feel that I am always told when I'm doing something good as well as doing something that I need to improve.

Cons

One of the downsides to working at CareerBuilder is the lack of equal compensation throughtout the organization. There is a much greater opportunity for salary advancements and monetary gain through our Sales channels than there are in any of the other departments. Those departments are vital to teh success of the business; however, because they are not directly revenue generating, their chances for more money are decreased too.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more.

8. Careerbuilder has helped grow my career from a Customer Service Rep to Senior Sales and developed me as a professional

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive - Recruiter Business Unit in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder

Pros

It is an amazingly agile company that is fast paced and if you are good at what you do your options in the company are available to you

Cons

Lower level sales has high turnover but also they are taking people with no experience most of the time. We feel the effects of the economy like anyone Sometimes Managers are promoted because of good sales, not their ability to manage

Advice to Management

Keep arming your sales people with a valuable product and keep competitive with benefits and careerpath. Challenge your employees who are driven to success and show them results whether it be money or recognition. I've seen people go down in the company strickly because of the hand they were delt or because of lack of experienced management.

9. Customer focused, employee driven. CareerBuilder.com offers growth opportunities.

Current Employee - Online Specialist Account Manager (Inside Sales) in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder

Pros

CareerBuilder.com offers fair compensation for productivity and effort. The company holds events that encourage employee satisfaction, teamwork, and opportunities to contribute to the work environment. On a regional basis, employee events and outings are held. Generosity keeps employees happy and productive. Criticism is always constructive. Managers care about growth from each consultant.

Cons

Turnover in any sales position is a downside. CareerBuilder.com is not an exception. When you accept an entry level position with CareerBuilder.com, you understand that employment is based on effort and productivity. Some people thrive in sales, others wither.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the avenues of communication open between management and entry level. The efforts of management to listen to problems and help with solutions is admirable. So long as this continues, CareerBuilder.com will continue to grow as an industry leader.

10. Great place to work if you can sell!

Current Employee - Senior Online Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Online Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder

Pros

Great room for fast growth and advancement! You will be shocked how fast you can move up at this company if you can sell!

Cons

It's hard to get started...very hard. You have to cold call very very often. Work hard and don't stop and benefit from all the work.

Advice to Management

Less paper! We need to go green as a company!

11. If hardwork reaps rewards, then CareerBuilder equals hardwork.

I have been working at CareerBuilder

Pros

Great corporate culture, the opportunities for advancement and to further your professional career are all a great reason to work for CareerBuilder. You are given an opportunity to prove yourself, for those who do a good job at it, are rewarded very generously. If you can prove that you are serious about any job opportunity at CareerBuilder, you will succeed. On top of generous rewards for doing your job, you're also given great benefits, that you would only probably find at a few other select companies.

Cons

Any job is hard, especially sales, at CareerBuilder it's either you succeed or you fail in sales, if you succeed you're rewarded accordingly, for those who fail, it's not always the best situation. I don't really see any downsides of working at CareerBuilder, unless you're in a sales position, but then again, it's really up to you to figure that one out.

Advice to Management

I think Senior Management has done a great job of modling this company into what it is today. Of course as any other company there are always deficiencies, however, I feel that CareerBuilder is still growing and will only keep finding better ways for dealing with those deficiencies.

RSS Feed </> Embed