CareerBuilder

Updated December 14, 2014
3.7

CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • Work life balance is really good, I never saw people burned out from overwork (in 39 reviews)

• Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • I witnessed mediocre sales reps who sucked up to the Sales Director and move from sales (in 22 reviews)

• Work Life Balance did not exist - neither did a true career path (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

You get out of it what you put into it

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent sales boot camp; if you are willing to learn and check your attitude at the door; this is the place for you. Tons of opportunity, tons of money to be made, and the perks can't be beat! Annual Sales Trips + Happy Hours & Work Events are commonplace!

Cons

The culture has changed as the company has grown up... less like a family more like a franchise.

AE

I have been working at CareerBuilder

Pros

Great place to work and learn

Cons

none, I have learned a lot here.

Amazing

Current Employee - National Account Executive in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - National Account Executive in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, benefits, and freedom.

Cons

Tough comp plan, high expectations

Amazing place to work!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture, Benefits, Training, CEO LEADERSHIP is all amazing! The pay isn't bad, but could be better for almost all roles in the company.

Cons

Pay, lack of career growth, horrible managers in some offices; This company is young and managers stay in their roles for a while; many are chosen due to nepotism. Career paths are short in most roles. Sales teams and people get treated like GODS and can do no wrong at this company. There is a "if you're not a sales rep you're a nobody" type of mentality.

Keep a very watchful eye on the RED FLAGS of your managers - an entire team of complaining people is a HUGE RED FLAG that a manager should be evaluated. CareerBuilder prides itself in teaching and preaching about employment brand and retention, but doesn't practice what it preaches.

Great company

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for growth within the company, good management, work/life balance is excellent, culture overall is great. Senior management truly care about their employees.

Cons

The comp plan is terrible. They sell you on the fact that you're going to make a lot of money selling when in reality, you're not being compensated for what you actually do sell. After a while, there is no challenge anymore. If you have a great year one year, you have to work ten times as hard to be successful and make more money the next year. No one wants to call and nag their clients to "post their jobs."

Keep doing what you're doing by rewarding those who are succeeding. There's absolutely no need to call people out by name when they are having a rough week or month. Everyone has bad months, it's unprofessional to make it known to the entire group.

Great sales career, best learning experience, loved my co-workers.

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, great culture, great benefits. Best education I could have asked for. They focus alot on training and promoting up, so it was a great learning experience.

Cons

Change the comp plan ASAP, or keep losing your top talent. After awhile of being in sales, it felt like I wasn't learning anything new, felt stale.

Remember the core values for disciplined freedom, micromanagement got worse and worse. Even after I was tenured. One of the reasons for me leaving.

Ok

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time

Pros

Great flexibility and perfect work life balance!

Cons

Management sucks there's no growth potential unless you're a suck up

Non-Sales Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, autonomy, fun employees and amazing benefits

Cons

Very low pay, very little chance of advancement

Consider evaluating the salary of non-sales employees, to be more in-line with the current market conditions and other salaries.

While employee "happiness" varies widely based on department, manager and location, there is still good at CB

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time

Pros

What's good? The benefits are very generous, similar to other dot com/IT companies. The culture is still good overall (it used to be awesome!) Culture varies widely based on who you report to and what department you are in, so the folks in Sales have it a bit tougher because they have a lot of demands, and sales is more "traditional corporate" whereas IT and other support functions are more "hippie" and casual. So whether it's a plus or not depends upon your perspective and what you like. CB has a long history of caring about employees, even during the 2009 lay offs everyone (who wasn't let go) came together as a team and really pulled through - leaders care about employee well being, I can't stress this enough. The company also really encourages creativity and idea generation, with lots of opportunities to be rewarded for new ideas. If you have ideas how to improve products or come up with new ideas for revenue generation, there are no limits to your opportunities to share ideas (and be rewarded for sharing). Work life balance is really good, I never saw people burned out from overwork. Not to say that long hours never happen, but there is definitely a work/life balance.

Cons

I worked with CB almost from inception so I was there during the heyday when things were amazing and it was like a family, then during the recession of 2009 during the horrible layoffs, and until recently, so I've seen it all. First I have to say that the culture has changed dramatically over time, not for the better. It was sort of a family at the beginning and everyone helped each other. That has since shifted to now being political and "looking good" is more important than being honest (candor is ironically one of the company core values). There are lots of reasons why this has happened, but suffice it to say that the company has reached the bureaucratic, maturity stage in its lifecycle in my opinion. The result is that employees feel self-conscious and feel like the environment is unstable, in a way that never used to be. Also, new product development needed!!! I don't want to sound like a total complainer so I will end with this.

Need new product development and probably some new blood in senior leadership (director level and up in both Chicago and Norcross). There are obviously some talented leaders but the current mix is not right in my opinion, which has resulted in a cultural shift toward unnecessary bureaucracy, being political and slow product development.

Not a bad company, but not a "tech" company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time

Pros

They pay well, there is a lot of good people that work there. Travel can be fun

Cons

A lot of your business is not in your control. If you inherit a bad book of business or lose a client, it can RUIN your career. Because of the commission structure, losing 1 big client will almost guarantee you won't be able to hit 100% of quota for the year. It's not a very high energy office, so mind your p's and q's.

Simplify the commission structure. Find ways to work with new team members who take over a book that has a bad history. Spend more time continuously training and monitoring accounts for potential gains and losses within a salesperson's first 90 days.