CareerBuilder

Updated December 14, 2014
3.7

CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • Work life balance is really good, I never saw people burned out from overwork (in 39 reviews)

• Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • I witnessed mediocre sales reps who sucked up to the Sales Director and move from sales (in 22 reviews)

• Work Life Balance did not exist - neither did a true career path (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to Start a Career, but not if you have years of experience

Current Employee - Client Advocate
    Current Employee - Client Advocate

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

fun environment, seemingly apolitical, family type work evironment

Cons

Low pay, hard to balance work-life even with an hourly gig... and if you are salaried forget about it! The best way to be successful is to come in a "super star" work too many hours, take on any and every project, and get promoted. If here more than a year and doing that work load it is not appreciated.

Shake up the management, same positions filled by the favorites and not the true workers. HIghly sales focused to the point of not listening to the Client Advocates and the unusual requests gotten from sales.

A lack of firm leadership at CareerBuilder has led to a development philosophy of let's try everything to see what works

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

CareerBuilder can be a good place to start your career. They hire on the low end of the pay scale and specifically target those coming straight out of college. They have a high tolerance for error in their application and job backend.

Cons

Their product development process right now is broken. The actual product names and goals between their product development department and their technology department don't line up. The product and software direction between international and the US do not agree because people report to different areas of the business. There is hardly any accountability at all. They repeatedly have shown a lack of interest in monitoring their own backend systems for error or their KPIs for major losses.

You want to be here!!

Current Employee - Client Advocate in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Client Advocate in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun work environment, leadership is awesome from the top down (first place I've worked where there is not one bad manager), the company provides a great work-life balance and even provides summer hours which are half day Friday's during the summer months!

Cons

Sales teams are increasing the client base, which is great, but our headcount is not growing at the same rate putting more and more stress on those in supporting roles. The pay could also be bit higher and management leans on our benefits (which are amazing) as what makes up for that difference.

Fun place to work

Current Employee - Sales Incentives Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Incentives Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work with an awesome team. Everyone is very collaborative and flexible. You know your team has your back. Great place for someone to work right out of college.

Cons

Poor pay for non-sales. Can be overly stressful.

Great Company but "fraternity" at the higher level needs to mix it up

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time

Pros

Gives you a ton of freedom to create your own path. Hands off approach and a lot of smart people. If you do what you are supposed to do, you get a ton of freedom in and out of the office.

Cons

Too many in upper mgmt level are not passionate or are not deserving to be considered leaders at the company.

So much opportunity!

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Career Opportunities, Personal Development, The People

Cons

Not a whole lot negative

If you are looking for a company that will take a chance on your potential, work here

Current Employee - Account Executive in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are not too many companies out there who afford you with the opportunity to succeed like never before simply because a hiring manager decided to take a chance on you. I feel blessed to be here and I am not one of the "winners" yet on the sales team. If you believe in yourself, are willing to put in the time, and are willing to learn a process, then you can change your life. Don't get me wrong, you have to produce to stay here and grow here, but I've been lucky to have leaders who are willing to bet on me and stray from the red tape "rules" and continuously help me grow. This is a special opportunity.

Cons

Training could be better, way better. There is too much riding on who your manager or leader is - some are just way better than others. There are some amazing best practices out there but they need to be consolidated to be used in a meaningful way.

I don't have any advice for management other than to keep doing what you are doing.

Great Company to work for.

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time

Pros

great culture
    good perks
    people are young and fun to work with

Cons

lots of quick changes in organization

Great Company

I worked at CareerBuilder

Pros

Upward Mobility, amazing compensation if you hit your goals

Cons

Boy's club, below average base

Give ppl more of a chance

Systemic Issues Cause Ripple Effects

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are really good
    Culture is fairly relaxed

Cons

1. Product development leaves much to be desired. Product owners have a half-baked ideas that are quickly pushed through production, not properly QA'd, they're filled with issues and bugs, and there is no work done to determine how products that are interdependent will function together.
    2. For a company that is moving to a "tech focus", the only people who are still properly compensated are sales, which means the best operations teams and developers are leaving for better opportunities.
    3. Initiatives are passed down from upper management without thinking through the consequences of how these new programs will affect other parts of CB's business, which makes it difficult to trust senior leadership.
    4. There are core issues with how accounts and teams are set up. We don't have enough operational resources, so those teams are getting burned out and leaving. In regards to account management, those teams are poorly trained, unreliable, and turn over quickly so their familiarity with accounts is lacking.

1, Figure out your priorities. You can't be a tech company where the focus is developing the best products and services, and be a sales company where the focus is cramming a poorly slapped together "solution" down your client's throats.
    2. Compensate your people better. The market is better, as you keep saying, and paying your best operations people 30-40% below market value isn't going to cut it if you want competitive products and services.
    3. Change the configuration of teams to better reflect what the business needs versus what is already in place.
    4. Disciplined freedom causes variety and variety is a killer to business because it is not scalable, it cannot be measured (because it is an outlier), and it costs more money. Custom solutions need to be a thing of the past unless compensated accordingly.