CareerBuilder

Updated April 1, 2014

3.6

CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • Work life balance is really good, I never saw people burned out from overwork (in 37 reviews)

• Great benefits with tons of learning opportunities (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • I witnessed mediocre sales reps who sucked up to the Sales Director and move from sales (in 22 reviews)

• No office culture or morale due to extremely high turnover (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A great place to work

Current Employee - Online Specialist Account Manager (Inside Sales)  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Online Specialist Account Manager (Inside Sales) in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

A lot of great people, fun environment / culture

Cons

Not the best leadership in place

As soon I got there and the halo effect wore off, I knew I wouldn't be there long.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Pros can be found in negative experiences, but mine will probably not matter to you.

Cons

Scottsdale office was full of managers that could not manage. Peter Drucker would be appalled.

They wouldn't listen, but if they did they wouldn't comprehend what you're telling them.

Fun and energetic cpmpany

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Great employee benefits and friendly people!

Cons

Way to many benchmarks you are measured on....75 dials a day, $48K of net new revenue every month, monthly quota, XX number of this product, XX number of that product....ect....

Focus on revenue growth and not the individual products that make it up. Running the company on fear of loosing your job does not make employees perform better...it makes them run at any other open opportunity. 0 job security!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have learned more in 4 years here at CareerBuilder than any of the many other jobs I have had.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

CareerBuilder is a fantastic company that understands the value of its employees. They have phenomenal training, earned advancement in your career path, & the best benefits I have ever seen. The pay is competitive, you will make as much work as you are putting in. The consistently encourage our personal and professional growth. Leadership is always there for help, unlike other organizations where they sit in their ivory towers waiting for you to figure it out or fail. The sales resources are virtually unlimited and the peers in this office are always supportive. I fully enjoy my job, even after all my time here.

Cons

The only real downside is the same as every other downside in a sales role...it's sales. There is pressure, expectations, and the occasional unhappy potential client. At least here, there is always support to get you to your numbers.

Motivating and letting you run your business

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

*Education. They let you take whatever you want that peaks your interest

*half day Fridays during the summer.

*Jean Fridays

*Quiet office and manager ready to answer any question

Cons

*Training program still being changed..

*Software system we use doesnt always work

*Satellite offices are not always as connected or similar to the main office

*Really highlight success stories and share with your targetted opportunity clients instead of making the rep search them out. You guys get communications I think we don't hear about!

CareerBuilder will consistently challenge you to learn more as a sales professional.

Current Employee - Major Account Executive  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Pros:
    1. Solid corporate training program. T1 through T3
    2. Corporate sponsored education programs both within and beyone the companies boders.
    3. Excellent benetifs package.
    4. Excellent compensation package

Cons

Cons:
    1. Communication between groups is often in opposition of each other.
    2. Sometimes difficult to receive support and guidance from management or senior leadership.

My advice to management would be to support a consistent message between the various groups, departments, and offices throughout the organization.

I was able to learn a lot about the industry.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Benefits, ability to travel, some stellar employees in sales roles.

Cons

Extremely limited opportunities to make money.

Give your hard workers, your best workers actual opportunities for career advancement, opportunities to make money, quit pigeonholing your best.

Rewarding

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

1. Sounds corny, but I take great satisfaction in knowing that my efforts will help someone get a job.
    2. The benefits are great.
    3. The company culture.
    4. The pay

Cons

1. Training could be improved.

Keep up the good work.

Good Entry-Level Job for Experience

Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

CareerBuilder is a good entry-level sales job for those that have just graduated from college and don't have too many bills. You will be trained how to sell and learn skills that will build your resume and help you get a better sales job down the road.

Cons

The base pay is only $25k but I've heard they have changed it. You may have a limited amount of leads to the point where you have to call people so frequently that they get upset with you.

The high turnover upsets the customers. In order to build customer relationships you need to retain more people. RAISE YOUR PAY! Also, don't judge someone's abilities based on how well they do calling small businesses. MOST OF THEM AREN"T HIRING. Sales in that division are more luck than anything. Basically, getting ahold of the right person at the right time. It's not hard to tell if someone is good or not. If they are, THEY SHOULD BE SELLING TO LARGER COMPANIES.

Solid opportunity

Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Opportunity for Advancement. Freedom to run your own business. Selling a product that really helps employers and job seekers. Learning and training. Fun - high pay and morale. Hard work equals advancement and opportunity. Sure you have to put thew work in - nothing is handed to you, but you are rewarded handsomely for top performance. Where else can folks with minimal sales experience come in, make $75-100K and then go lead a team of sales reps in less than 24 months? You need to practice and study - this is a career , not a job. If you are not willing to invest in yourself why should CB?

Cons

Dealing with Owner Companies - McClatchy, Gannett, Tribune. They ran their own companies into the ground - leave CB (their only real money maker laft) alone

Make quicker decisions and communicate better

Worked for CareerBuilder? Contribute to the Community!