Carenet Healthcare Services

Updated October 19, 2014
Updated October 19, 2014
3.4

John Erwin

It is enjoyable, challenging and FUN!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Carenet Healthcare Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people! Team environment. I am happy to go to work every morning. Core values are: Smile First, Work with Gusto, Be Memorable, Enjoy the Ride, Do What is Right, Strike A Balance.

Cons

Parking is a little limited.

We love the company mixers, the Food Trucks, the blood drives, the free soft drinks, and the games! Keep them coming! It makes work fun and creates a family, team environment.

Care Advisor RN

I have been working at Carenet Healthcare Services

Pros

The company culture is VERY positive, and everyone--VP to QA to staff--have been positive, friendly and helpful. It's refreshing to have a nursing job with management THIS supportive and positive!
    Working from home is a major plus.
    ALL the RN's have been positive and helpful!!!

Cons

The pay isn't stellar. I took a bit of a pay cut for this position.
    Training is very quick....they've shortened it from several weeks to 2.5 weeks.

Stay Away if you value your career

Current Employee - Care Advisor in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Care Advisor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Carenet Healthcare Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at home, being with family, co-workers

Cons

Awful Management, poor values, and zero integrity. This company is the worst I have ever worked for. To begin with ALL management consists of women who are moody, unprofessional, and rude. Furthermore, they are unqualified to supervise, instruct, or otherwise influence anyone. Additionally,they use deceptive, falsified reviews and pay rates on other sites to recruit nursing staff,and are unprofessional, ruthlessly vengeful if you cross them, disagree with them, or stand up for what is right. When I first began there I was told I would make a specific hourly pay with subsequent reviews and pay raises which never happened, they lied. On a weekly basis nurses quit and I was the ONLY one left from my entire group of new hires. Another thing is that they expect you to spend less than one minute performing your initial assessment which is impossible. They find and manufacture various unreasonable circumstances for their staff so that they can get rid of those they dislike and withhold bonuses from high performers. Consistently, they abandon all rules and regulations to correspond with their intentions or whatever scheme they have going on at the time. In addition, nurses are not allowed to make decisions based on their own competence professional experience, and training, and have to provide sources and references for everything they say to patients. Stay away!
    I

Stop treating your employees badly and hire/promote people who are qualified. Lead by example, reward high performers, pay what you say you will, review your employees performances regularly and be accountable then maybe you can actually retain your employees.

Great Culture

Current Employee - Care Coordinator in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Carenet Healthcare Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love that the business is about Healthcare and how everyday we help people in a confusing industry.The production management is always helpfull and they are always trying to do the right thing

Cons

my hours needed some flexibilty and sometimes that just didn't work out ..but overall they work with me

keep the food trucks, games, bar b q going they are great

Lacking Professionalism, Morals and Values

Current Employee - Care Advisor RN in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Care Advisor RN in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Carenet Healthcare Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at home, pedicures, patients, sunshine, pajamas

Cons

I would love to say this company is the best place to work and that nothing needs attention. However, that would be a blatant lie. At Carenet, poor management has been allowed to prevail for far too long and sadly, Carenet needs a good housecleaning. Specifically in the clinical area. Eliminating unprofessionalism at the clinical management level would greatly improve morale, increase productivity, and boost hiring efforts at Carenet. Further, hiring adequately educated upper management would be a great place to begin. Unfortunately, the company has chosen to employ undereducated clinical management with no education in management at all and inadequate Nursing education. As a result, good nurses are suffering the consequences of poor leadership. Not knowing how to manage due to lack of education in that area, leads to high turnover rates, losing tenured employees, and misunderstandings. Likewise, failure to understand ethical leadership resulted in unethical management in this case. I hope that things change soon at Carenet for the sake of everyone.

Rid the company of sub par, unprofessional employees specifically undereducated, under qualified, and inexperienced upper clinical management lacking in the necessary skills to properly direct, supervise, and instruct others.

At Carenet Caring is Relative

Former Employee - Call Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Call Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Carenet Healthcare Services as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Easy Time System. Some of the managers are nice.

Cons

People in management are at times abusive and pushy. I was a temp at the company from August of 2012 to May of 2013 and was released when the call volume was too low. Understandable. I had left on good terms with the company and was encouraged to apply directly. But when I tried to apply directly with the company, they told me I was ineligable for rehire. When I tried to find out why, they said only my temp agency would know that. The Temp agency told me that the only thing they heard that the project manager thougt the current project was too stressful for me. This company is driven by politics and people in management are surprisingly petty.

My advice to management, particularly those in upper management, is to not be petty to the point of abusing employees. Browbeating is not productive and does nothing to facilitate communication. Too many people in management are from West and are plagued with West mentality, which runs counter to Carenet's alleged philosophy of tolerance, kindness, and open communication. Employees should not dread comming to work or running into certain people in management. Treat people how you would like to be treated. Don't abuse your power.

- Very stressful,

Former Employee - Telephone Triage Nurse in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Telephone Triage Nurse in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Carenet Healthcare Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fellow candidate nurses all very professional and we were able to comfort and give hope to one another as we went through the experience.

Cons

Was one of about 50 nurses hired and only about 2 remained after everyone was either cut from the position or left because of changing or unobtainable company quotas.

You have to lay everything out as far as your call quota system, etc., before you ask RNs to leave their jobs to join you. The position of Telephone Triage Nurse from home sounded too good to be true and it was!

Honestly surprised....

Current Employee - Care Advisor RN
    Current Employee - Care Advisor RN

Pros

Caring co-workers, awesome supervisor and lead, thorough training, support during transition from training to work-at-home, tools provided to succeed.

I honestly haven't experienced any of the things the other reviewers mention. I have been well supported since joining CareNet in November and have already earned bonus money for my performance. The job can be monotonous, yes...it can be emotionally draining. BUT...I am able to work from home, save money on gas, can be here when my daughter comes home, etc. The monthly nurse care packages are awesome - I definitely feel appreciated. Salary is fair and now that I am earning bonus money, it makes a difference, too.

Cons

Dislike the late night hours, schedule can change without notice, but I have asked for specific days off and almost always get them. I am not quite sure why there isn't a 40 hour position. 30 hours/week doesn't allow me to make up the loss of my regular nursing positioning.

The work, as mentioned above, can be exhausting and monotonous.

I don't have any contact at all with upper mgmt. My relationships with my supervisor, department head, and leads have always been professional, caring, and friendly.

Best company ever!

Current Employee - Care Advice RN in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Care Advice RN in Remote, OR

Pros

Chance for advancement
    great bonus monthly
    monthly perks for nurses
    easy to obtain expectations/metrics
    great work environment
    wonderful supervisors
    great group of peers
    Kindness and concern from all levels
    decent pay
    work/life balance is excellent
    able to work from home
    training was stressful and long but prepared me for the job well
    I feel supported at all times

Cons

No cons at all with this company. I have not been this happy at a job in years and actually enjoy going to work.

Keep up the awesome work! Best place I have ever worked

Avoid at all costs!

Current Employee - Care Coordinator in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Some of my coworkers there eventually became good friends and I still keep in touch with them since leaving, though part of why I think I became friends with them in the first place is because we hit it off by complaining about the work we were doing and how horribly the management handled things.

Cons

I'll be flat out honest here. There is no room for advancement in this company unless you are a favorite of management (especially if management finds you physically attractive. I'm not lying). In my 4+ years employed by Carenet, I saw this company grow from one small building and a couple dozen employees to multiple buildings with over 100 employees. In this time frame, I saw managers and coworkers come and go, and saw policies, good and bad, appear and disappear. What was once an honest company willing to reward good work with advancement or a pay raise, became an environment where the lead or supervisor position was monopolized by power hungry, condescending, under achieving, uneducated (several emails and print outs sent from management included embarrassing typos and obvious incorrect grammar), and flat out rude employees. The upper management, as in the top dogs running the company behind a desk and not directly dealing with the folks at the front lines (care coordinators taking phone calls), left their leads and managers unchecked, allowing them to make up ridiculous policies that made it near impossible to get your monthly bonus. At least once a month I would have an issue on a call that I would resolve using the training I was given, only to be scolded by a lead or manager for not following correct procedure based on the situation. It would've been nice to have been updated on changed policies. It would have also been nice for ALL the leads and managers to be updated with the SAME information regarding client protocols and call troubleshooting (one lead says one thing, a manager says something else, another lead says something entirely different, and my quality score suffers even though I did exactly what my training told me to do). Coincidentally, questioning a lead or manager on the current protocol once they hound you for sticking to your training results with them assuming that you are being insubordinate. A friend of mine was written up for this very reason and was disciplined for being "insubordinate", though they really were wanting to make sure that particular lead knew the correct protocol given their past experience in that situation.
    If you're sick or have a personal issue that keeps you from making it to work, management will not work with you and you'll have to take the attendance hit unless you have paid time off, though sometimes not even that is a guarantee. Don't bother bringing a doctor's note, it means nothing to them, even if you have a chronic condition that makes you unfit to work from time to time.
    Also, management on multiple occasions had added fake absences that not only set me up for possible termination, it also shortened my paychecks and conveniently made me ineligible for any sort of monthly bonus (I have spoken to several other employees who reported the same issue). Ultimately, I was able to have them correct the absences and reimburse the amount withheld from my checks, but it took several weeks and constant hounding on my part to make them do anything. If a manager there says they will do something for you, you always have to follow up the next day or they will bypass or "forget" it completely.
    During my time there, I also noticed the leads or management implement mandatory ETO (forcing you to leave your shift well ahead of time). Though not noticeable at first, leaving 2+ hours ahead of my scheduled shift a couple of times every few weeks majorly cut into my paycheck over a period of time. Funny enough, sometimes these early releases were counted as me leaving without permition which counted against my attendance, even though I was forced to leave.
    With these practices in mind, one could draw conclusions as to how this company remains profitable even with the high employee turnover rate. I absolutely cannot recommend this employer to anyone if they want to make a career or simply to just work in an honest work environment.

Stop promoting employees that clearly have no idea what they are doing. Stop playing favorites when it comes to filling a higher position. Make sure ALL management is trained and updated to new procedures as soon as they are implemented. Rework the bonus program to make it even slightly possible for someone to bring home a monthly bonus. STOP adding fake absences to shorten peoples' checks.
    Basically, stop doing everything I mentioned in the "Cons" section.

Carenet Healthcare Services Photos