Carestream Health

Updated September 28, 2014
2.3

Carestream Health CEO and Director Kevin J. Hobert
Kevin J. Hobert

Pros
  • Most of the people that are not in a management position are great people (in 9 reviews)

• Good structure, Good products and new platforms to work on (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Unreasonable demands, no consideration for work-life balance, 'who you know" advancement (in 8 reviews)

• Hostile meetings and demeaning comments from upper management are the norm here (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Account Manager

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You can learn alot. Amazing sales team.

Cons

You are on your own and it can be overwhelming.

Get out of the office and in the street, you will find out what is really going on.

Everyone is looking!

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

above market pay, experience, good people,

Cons

worst work life balance I have ever seen, extremely under-staffed, seriously unfocused product R&D concerning Healthcare IT products, constant management changes, always adding more responsibility to each job role,

If you want to play with the big boys, it is time to staff like the big boys, Onex needs to clean house in the C-suite!!

Double Standards - Humiliation and Poisoned Work Place....

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Carestream Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strong sales team but with strong customer support...

Cons

Poor Work Life balance, Poor HR and lack of fair and equal treatment of employees. I was transitioned out of the organization 1 week before my 3rd year anniversary. This impacted close to ⅓ of my 401K and bonus' as they would not consider taking care of a long term employee.

Consider each employees situation independently, not just as a whole.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice company

Current Employee - Research Scientist  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

nice people, nice city, nice summer

Cons

limited time, limited money, limited summer

increase salary

The Emperor fiddles, while Rome is burning.

I worked at Carestream Health

Pros

You are on this website either because you are applying for a position at Carestream or you are an employee wondering if your experiences are the same as others. It’s always good to know what you are walking into. In this case, the news is not positive. As for others experiences, the numerous negative reviews on this site probably answer that question.

Glassdoor asks for some pros to working at Carestream. Unfortunately, there aren’t too many

Compensation and Benefits: Competitive for the Rochester area; for the industry and other areas outside Western New York, not so much. Here is the catch with Carestream Rochester, once you are in, you are stuck. Xerox isn’t hiring, B&L moved to New Jersey, Kodak is still losing hundreds of millions of dollars annually, and Alaris is figuring out who it is and what it needs. Smaller companies won’t come anywhere near close in terms of compensation.

Your choices become stay, accept less pay elsewhere in the area, or relocate. Not great options.

Health, vision and 401k are all competitive, however costs go up and benefit coverage goes down each year.

Products: The products are decent but losing their edge. No CTO in four years has to be a contributor. Comes up during every Quarterly Business Forum.

Buildings: The Verona Street building is decent. Remodeled, although not in the best area of town. Cafeteria is nice and the food is decent. Building 214 is a disaster. Mismatched furniture and cubicles from the 80s and 90s. Hot in the summer. Cold in the winter. Conference rooms out of the stone age.

People: Some of the people here are the best you will ever meet. Unfortunately, many of those people are actively looking for other opportunities.

That’s it.

Really.

Cons

Now for the cons. Far more numerous:

Culture: The culture here is the biggest problem with the organization. The culture is the major reason that people in the Rochester area don’t want to work at Carestream. All you have to do is look at the Glassdoor ratings.

Abysmal.

66% would not recommend to a friend. 74% disapprove of the CEO. Look at the previous reviews. Most filled with vitriol. Someone wrote that it was the “worst work experience ever.”

Ouch.

Forced ranking comes up in every discussion. The forced ranking system has created a culture where blaming others has become the norm. If you do well, you immediately have a target on your back. As a result, teamwork suffers. Nobody trusts anybody. There have been a number of people that tried to make real changes over the years to the system. Instead what was rolled out was a repackaging of the same old, same old.

Meet the new RPA, same as the old RPA. Most of those who spoke up for meaningful change have left. Sad, but true.

Here is an observation: you will not see smiling faces here. As someone mentioned previously, everyone here is always mad at someone or something. New ideas are squashed and people are trying to stay out of the bottom 10%. People are afraid to make a mistake. If they do, they are gone. If they complain, they are gone. If they question, well, you get the idea. Oh, it may not be immediate, but when it is time to force rank, there you are in the bottom 10%. No raise, no bonus. Then you leave or are forced out.

Want work-life balance? Not in the job description. Taking vacation? Sorry but that can't be accommodated. You are welcome to take it, but you will be working most of the time.

What’s interesting about people who leave Carestream is that when you talk to them, they seem so happy. They are doing well and they look great. They are making a difference in their new job, their church, their community. Their personal lives are better. They enjoy their job and the company they work for. It is something that you see over and over. You can find many of them on Linked-In.

Name recognition: If you ask people about Carestream, you will get one of two responses: Who are they? Or, “Do you work THERE?

Neither one is good.

Financial: Carestream has been marching in place for 7 years now. Revenue still at or close to 2007 levels. Some bottom line growth, but this is primarily through cost cutting. Onex just released their financials and Carestream has 2.1 billion in debt on the books. Sale went nowhere.

This is not a growth company. Not now.

Could be with the right focus and leadership.

Leadership: Leadership through fear, intimidation and yelling is the norm. You can hear it behind closed doors. You will experience it in most meetings. Complain to HR? Good luck with that. The CHRO is one of the worst offenders. Don’t get me wrong, there are some solid leaders at Carestream, but the organization only pays lip service to the idea of treating people with respect.

HR: Let’s say that you were hiring a CHRO for a global company. What would you want? International experience. Worked for multiple companies. Strong understanding of HR. Lived in multiple geographic areas. Masters degree. Recognized in the field. Respected in the business. Commitment to people development. Strong emotional intelligence.

Not here. Not even one.

As a result, all the good work done by the previous leader has been undone, credibility is shot and havoc ensues. People leave in droves.

Strategy: As someone else mentioned, Carestream is without an effective long term strategy that makes sense. Look, if you need a PH.D in Statistics to explain and understand the strategy, it probably isn’t a good strategy.

Another reason the best and bright are leaving.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Things aren't good here. Haven't been for some time.

Unfortunately, this is the state of empire. If you listen closely, you can hear the emperor fiddling in the background.

It has all been said before in previous reviews. The reality is that they will spend more time talking about the review and pinning it on a person, than to work toward meaningful change.

Very toxic environment

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Comp and Benefits are good.

Cons

Toxic ideas: Win at all costs. No concern for the employees.

Stop using relative rating

A company devoid of planning . Petty politics and stupidity rules the roost.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time

Pros

Good structure, Good products and new platforms to work on.
    Impressive Partners. A lot people that work in IT are highly knowledgeable and have the rich experience of Kodak to backup and show for.
    I have had consulting and previous Project Management experience elsewhere and let me tell you, Carestream is right up there with the best in the business when it comes to latest tools, software and methodologies that are used. Carstream will expose you to the latest trends in the market,
    Latest hires who are joining the Management in IT-PMO look like good people who have the skills , knowledge and experience and of course conduct ( unless the current bunch of bloodsuckers drive them nuts as well)

Cons

Management- Absolutely Pathetic .Dictator style Director that has no idea about her job and keeps bullying and harassing all PMs to cover up for the self- incompetency and zero knowledge about how to run the Organization. Non-Project Managers are given important roles in the PMO because of their apparent closeness to Director and IT top shots .These non-PMs have no real world Project Management experience, yet they are dictating terms to Project Managers and are very active and manipulative politically playing dirty games using technical tools as an excuse. Most of the projects are all over the place with confusion about roles, planning and task completion. The Management instead chooses to focus on stupid and meaningless activities such as 4UPS ( and things such as spellings, one line missing, one color missing in the 4UP charts) and Active Monthly project reviews where the stooges of the Director do nothing constructive except hurl insults and cover irrelevant and unimportant topics ( rather than important ones such as why the projects are having problems or what exactly needs to be done to make sure the project runs on the planned track). We are forced to do crap in SAP which NO PROJECT MANAGER should be doing. Most of the people in the Management are totally unqualified for the job they are doing and they cannot handle it.. Too many people leaving putting too much stress and workload on the existing Project Managers and the worst case is that psycho management wants us to help the new PMs, do our work and steer all the projects. ( not asking much are they?). Projects are changed and exchanged between PMs like clothes.

keep the new people in the PMO management, get rid of all others....the place is a mess. If you cannot fire the current bunch of Management , atleast grab hold of them. Ask them 'Why are so many people quitting the PMO?.

Very discouraging and mentally deflating to work for!

I worked at Carestream Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The few employees that are left, great shop floor people to work with. Great engineers who are empathetic with the changing downsizing tide .

Cons

As the company had to and still does try and make bottom line cuts, they would take long and even short term excellent employees and move them into different areas and operations out of their comfort zone and put unrealistic expectations on the employees to learn their new trade or jobs in a very short time. In the process of the poor training, they would move the employee from one operation to another before there is any sense of confidence in the "new" job and then, get written up for not making the unrealistic "training" goal of that operation. The intent(though unspoken but, all the shop floor people new what was/is going on) was to get these "seasoned" employees to quit or with time, fired so they wouldn't get a severance pkg. thus, lower head counts. I also experienced bullying and harassment while working in the new area which made it extremely hard to concentrate on my new work environment. I took it to HR but, out of fear of loosing their own jobs or retribution from the individual doing the bullying, the other employees who saw and heard with their own eyes and ears the harassment refused to comment. After I was let go from my job, interestingly enough, that same person doing the harassment started harassing another person and the bully was finally fired!

The time off policy I felt was great! Carestream(what used to be Eastman Kodak) has over all a great shop floor/ operations/ and engineering population but, when it was Kodak in the earlier days, it was one of the great companies to work for. Was rated at one time as having the most loyal workforce to work for. But, the atmosphere and working environment has done a 180deg change. The stress and related major health issues I was going through towards the end can't ever be justified! I would never return to a working environment like that again, could not pay me enough! Management is a "good boys club" saw it change with my own eyes! I am soo much happier and healthier since I've moved on. Yes, there is life outside the Black And Yellow Box! I have had and still have a positive and great work ethic and proved it for decades out there so, this is out of my norm to even write this!

Flight has taken off, Passengers are wonderful but the Pilots and Ground Staff have no clue where the plane is heading.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A good pay package. This is a glaring pro of this company. You don't have to worry about parking ( like Xerox) as you get it free. They have some good ideas, some really nice coworkers ( read passengers) who are ready to give their all and work with 100 percent dedication ( even with the pathetic middle and upper level management). Great products and the Eastman Kodak legacy. They have the chance to corner the industry with some of the innovations they have done in recent times and the folks at 1049 are some of the best workers you will meet. Great Engineers working here.Stunning products in the Digital Imaging market ( Thank you DRX1), impressive digital radiography system. The Company has great potential if the issues are sorted out.

Cons

(Vacation)They came up with a policy a year back where they decided to force a horrible vacation policy on the employees. (No Engagement)-Still having the 'Aye Aye Sir/Madam' policy. Management treats employees like servants and not subordinates. Holier than thou attitude.
    (Conference Rooms)- For Heaven's sake , leave the Conference Rooms on time. I don't want to be coming to a 1:30 pm -2:00 pm meeting and keep waiting till 1:50 outside the room just because you cannot leave the room. People have ZERO consideration for others. If someone 'Special' is using the Conference Room, good luck getting them out!. I had an incident a few days back where my Supervisor and I had a meeting. My Supervisor arrives late by 15 minutes ( great) and then opens the door, sees someone working with her team and then tells me' Let us leave this place , I don't want to yank her out of the room, not a great idea'. What kind of attitude is this? I made a reservation 1 week prior to the meeting ( still have the receipt with the room number) someone 'Special' is using MY ROOM and my Supervisor instead of asking her to leave, says 'Let us find another room'. I don't care how higher up anyone is , they should leave on time. On one hand you speak of these competencies like Integrity and Communications , but when it comes to executing it, no action!. Practice what you preach .These things have been happening at the Conference Rooms on my floor for 3 years now .UNACCEPTABLE!!!
    (Hypocrisy and the Middle Managers ) So I see that the Managers ruthlessly cut ( some) employees to size during the annual forced ranking and give 4s and 5s saying' This is an honest attempt for your improvement, I just want to help you' . Well, why don't you offer the same help to your favorite buddies then?. You cannot choose to be" Honest" with some employees and " Not so Honest" with others. This is UTTER NONSENSE. I see people who are less competent than others having it easy here because the 'Supervisor' likes them. Is this the type of Professionalism they offer in this day and age? Pathetic.!!. Blatant lies in your face. No consideration for the employee at all. No appreciation, No Thanks . Some of the people are so uptight they will not even smile at you in the hallway, Ignore you straightaway and shut doors on your face when they are in the elevator as you try to enter it to avoid any contact with "low level people who are not Managers". (Accountability-)Are certain people ( especially higher up) review proof ?. How come that the staff keeps changing and but some people remain in the same position or get rewarded all the time? Strange game. (Feedback)- They ask for feedback during the QBFs. Is anything really done about our feedback? Looks like another eyewash.
    (Rigid, Red Tape)- We have always done it this way. You can give your opinions but we will throw it in the trash.To further screw up things, the middle management is always there .

I admire your review system .Let us have a 2 way review system at the end of this year where we can rank our Supervisors, CEO, Management and all the Executives . Even I and a lot of employees here want to ' honestly help you people' . In this way we will all be happy.

New Chief HR Officer is a joke !

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- strong workforce and middle management which is the backbone of this company
    - reasonable salary & benefits
    - interesting industry

Cons

- new Chief HR Officer with no background in HR management , no HR skills and simply not professional. Got this job because she can follow CEO directions well and hammer her direct reports.
    - ELT that doesn't value nor appreciate the people that make them look good.
    - very negative culture, lots of hidden agenda's and politics.

- they are famous for not listening. Latest business ethics surveys is a great example of that.

Worked for Carestream Health? Contribute to the Community!