Carestream Health Reviews

193 reviews filtered by
2.2
Carestream Health CEO and Director Kevin J. Hobert
Kevin J. Hobert

Pros
  • Good structure, Good products and new platforms to work on (in 9 reviews)

• Most of the people that are not in a management position are great people (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Unreasonable demands, no consideration for work-life balance, 'who you know" advancement (in 8 reviews)

• Hostile meetings and demeaning comments from upper management are the norm here (in 12 reviews)

Nice place to work, could be more transparent

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist
    Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, very talented. Great to learn from each other. Interesting projects. Good pay and benefits. Overall its been a positive experience.

Cons

Not enough transparency. Management doesn't involve employees enough in decision making process. Too much "process", sometimes hard to get things done. Schedule is overvalued above doing the right thing sometimes.

Advice to Management

Trust employees more, listen more to them. Be more transparent in decision making process

A company with geat potential.

I worked at Carestream Health

Pros

I liked working there. The people were friendly and helpful. Challenging work at all times. I found it to be a great place to work

Cons

Many former Kodak employees with the Kodak mindset. Carestream is a different company an should be runas so. There were alot of changes

Advice to Management

Set realistic goals and deadlines. Become more visible. Adopt and support an open door mentality. Get out of your offices and get to know your people.Trust and empower your people.

The company takes employees for granted. They do next to nothing to show their employees appreciation. They are tight!

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good products! It's a job.

Cons

They cap sales professionals. Upper Management (CEO) feels no sales person should earn anywhere close to him! Very poor internal processes.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO. Remove commission caps for sales people as you are de-motivating them! Open your eyes.

Carestream review

Current Employee - Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Healthcare company with good products and potential for growth

Cons

Management practices/HR policies are not always employee centered

Advice to Management

Consider the effects of policies on non-manager employees

Great people, poor leadership

Former Employee - Service Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Service Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Carestream Health

Pros

System experts truly cared about making the product work.

Cons

Still a lot of Kodak Culture

Pathetic

I have been working at Carestream Health

Pros

The products are fantastic! It's really hard to come up with pros when this company is in a constant state of chaos and denial.

Cons

Human Resources, High level management, management. It has increasingly become an culture of lies, back stabbing, and fear. They've made it clear that if you are over 54 years old, they want you gone. They are looking to replace older workers with young workers. No idea how to manage the younger work force, poor training. They lead by fear, intimidation, discriminate older workers , how can this company getting away with treating people so poorly.

Advice to Management

Go find another job, you are destroying the company, and the lives of human beings.

Waste of time

I have been working at Carestream Health

Pros

Salary very good for Rochester Standards
    HR Recruiters who sit on the 5th floor are actually nice people
    Cool coworkers

Cons

The CIO- What an absolute muppet!!
    The Finance team- filled with snooty goons who run the organization like a dictatorship
    6th Floor HR - Doing all the dirty work.
    Higher ups- Always threatening and abusing their subordinates.
    The Ratings system- Just taking down the company . I am fine with the annual and mid year reviews, but the objective of this program has become' Let me throw this guy under the bus so that I can save my back'. It has lead to widespread corruption, unethical practices and rampant backstabbing. Darwinian way of life adopted. Survival of the craftiest.
    Slow pace of things, no guts to make decisions. The PMO is filled with sooks who will only whinge but not do anything about the problem as they don't have any guts to take on the wrongs in the organization

PATHETIC FOOD AT THE CAFETERIA...I took some of the food back home and the dog threw up , even he could not take it!!- Too expensive, no variety- the worst CAFETERIA. Looks like the people there make food at gunpoint.

Advice to Management

Stop playing dirty games, the best way to accumulate more produce in your farm is by cultivating more crops, not by destroying crops of other farmers.

A sad place to work

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good products but have used up all the good ideas. Projects being worked on now are questionable. Millions being poured into new CT product that has little chance of success.

Cons

Horrible career path. No way to move up. Some people have been stuck in the same job for 20+ years

Advice to Management

Develop the talent you have rather than hiring from outside. Morale is completely in the toilet.

Extremely interesting work held back by overall company culture & business strategy

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Oakdale, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Oakdale, MN

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Happy to be working in such an engaging research & development area. Co-workers are great and the local management does their best. Recently, the culture has improved.

Cons

Overall, Carestream as a company does not treat employees as well as other companies. Being owned by Onex Corporation means that the company can have a shorter term focus. That being said, they have found ways of being cost effective on things like health insurance while at the same time giving access to a limitless network of doctors. Upper management does not create an environment of trust & respect.

Advice to Management

Put more emphasis on career development, recognition, and improving the performance appraisal process. Focus on long term goals that will have discriminating value in the market, not just the next quarter.

Carestream: Where Careers Go To Die.

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Carestream. A company that once had so much potential, so much opportunity, is continuing its long painful decline into non-existence. There really isn’t much positive to talk about here. The paychecks still clear, the benefits are ok and the parking lot is full of empty spaces. Other than that, there really isn’t much to point to as a reason to stay here or come here.

Cons

Here, we could write a novel or at least a business school case study on how not to run a business, beginning first with leadership. Imagine a ship with a good crew, solid engines, and a decent hull. Now imagine that ship going around in circles. No direction. No leadership. No vision. No strategy. That is Carestream.

The blame clearly begins with leadership at the most senior levels. Since the purchase from Kodak, the organization hasn’t had any kind of significant growth. There was the big initial push to grow the business to 20 billion dollars, but without a vision and a plan, this initial enthusiasm quickly quieted. Recently, there was a misguided effort to build a strategy based on competencies. After millions of dollars and the departure of a number of well respected leaders, this debacle was finally mercifully ended.

The lack of leadership permeates the organization, nowhere more so than our wonderful HR organization. Here, HR stands for Horribly Repressive. Right now, we are undergoing our annual re-enactment of the movie “The Purge”. This is the where we conduct calibration sessions to identify who gets what rating. See, at Carestream, you could achieve all of your goals and still be rated one of the lowest ratings. Then, you will either get partial or no bonus. Plus, now you are one foot out the door and another on a banana peel. As a result of this discredited and Machiavellian method, over 5000 people have exited the organization either voluntarily or involuntarily over the last 8 years. Good people. Talented people. Pretty impressive for a 7500 person company. HR is led by a Chief Human Resources Officer with zero HR experience. None. She doesn’t know solid HR talent and treats her people (and everyone else) terribly. As the result, the best and brightest have left in droves. Walk by her office and you can hear her screaming at some poor unlucky soul. People who come into HR quickly assess the situation and the culture and quickly make the decision to leave. Everyone here knows if you have a problem or concern talk to your spouse, friends, neighbors, pastor, just don’t talk to HR. Otherwise you will be on the outside looking in.

Our IT organization has been beaten up pretty bad on Glassdoor, but all the reviews are accurate. After all, we are using Lotus Notes. Who uses Lotus Notes?

Our culture. You have read about it in the previous reviews. They don’t do it justice. It is torture. Each Sunday you will feel this overwhelming dread about coming to work. You will lose sleep and when Monday comes around you will feel miserable, like a part of you just died. Every week. Week after week. The culture is well known in the area and one of the major reasons people don’t want to work here. People are unhappy. People are threatened with their job on a daily basis. People are afraid to express their views, otherwise they will be part of the 5000 no longer here. Backstabbing, politics and gossip are the rule of the day. This is a culture where the disillusioned and the disenfranchised are led by the dysfunctional and despotic. Lots of D letter words there. Here is another that best describes our culture: Dystopian.

I could continue to paint the picture for you, but this should be enough to illustrate what it is like here. Of course, you can always accept a position here and see for yourself. If you do, be sure to stop by. I’ll be the talking to a headhunter or one counting my days to retirement. Come to think of it, that is most of us.

Advice to Management

They wont listen. They are waiting for the sale of the company or an IPO to cash out their options. Then they all go away with massive parachutes.