Carestream Health

Updated October 1, 2014
2.3

Carestream Health CEO and Director Kevin J. Hobert
Kevin J. Hobert

Pros
  • Most of the people that are not in a management position are great people (in 9 reviews)

• Good structure, Good products and new platforms to work on (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Unreasonable demands, no consideration for work-life balance, 'who you know" advancement (in 8 reviews)

• Hostile meetings and demeaning comments from upper management are the norm here (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

73 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Nice company

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

nice people, nice city, nice summer

Cons

limited time, limited money, limited summer

increase salary

CHRO does not know talent

Former Employee - Talent in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Talent in Rochester, NY

I worked at Carestream Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There really are not any pros, CHRO is weak. Has no common courtesy at returning emails, phone calls. It shows in org and turnover.

Cons

People feel threatened, CHRO proved that by overlooking qualified candidates to hire mediocre Talent Leader. Very weak leadership

Look at CHRO, need a change

Everyone is looking!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

above market pay, experience, good people,

Cons

worst work life balance I have ever seen, extremely under-staffed, seriously unfocused product R&D concerning Healthcare IT products, constant management changes, always adding more responsibility to each job role,

If you want to play with the big boys, it is time to staff like the big boys, Onex needs to clean house in the C-suite!!

Flight has taken off, Passengers are wonderful but the Pilots and Ground Staff have no clue where the plane is heading.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A good pay package. This is a glaring pro of this company. You don't have to worry about parking ( like Xerox) as you get it free. They have some good ideas, some really nice coworkers ( read passengers) who are ready to give their all and work with 100 percent dedication ( even with the pathetic middle and upper level management). Great products and the Eastman Kodak legacy. They have the chance to corner the industry with some of the innovations they have done in recent times and the folks at 1049 are some of the best workers you will meet. Great Engineers working here.Stunning products in the Digital Imaging market ( Thank you DRX1), impressive digital radiography system. The Company has great potential if the issues are sorted out.

Cons

(Vacation)They came up with a policy a year back where they decided to force a horrible vacation policy on the employees. (No Engagement)-Still having the 'Aye Aye Sir/Madam' policy. Management treats employees like servants and not subordinates. Holier than thou attitude.
    (Conference Rooms)- For Heaven's sake , leave the Conference Rooms on time. I don't want to be coming to a 1:30 pm -2:00 pm meeting and keep waiting till 1:50 outside the room just because you cannot leave the room. People have ZERO consideration for others. If someone 'Special' is using the Conference Room, good luck getting them out!. I had an incident a few days back where my Supervisor and I had a meeting. My Supervisor arrives late by 15 minutes ( great) and then opens the door, sees someone working with her team and then tells me' Let us leave this place , I don't want to yank her out of the room, not a great idea'. What kind of attitude is this? I made a reservation 1 week prior to the meeting ( still have the receipt with the room number) someone 'Special' is using MY ROOM and my Supervisor instead of asking her to leave, says 'Let us find another room'. I don't care how higher up anyone is , they should leave on time. On one hand you speak of these competencies like Integrity and Communications , but when it comes to executing it, no action!. Practice what you preach .These things have been happening at the Conference Rooms on my floor for 3 years now .UNACCEPTABLE!!!
    (Hypocrisy and the Middle Managers ) So I see that the Managers ruthlessly cut ( some) employees to size during the annual forced ranking and give 4s and 5s saying' This is an honest attempt for your improvement, I just want to help you' . Well, why don't you offer the same help to your favorite buddies then?. You cannot choose to be" Honest" with some employees and " Not so Honest" with others. This is UTTER NONSENSE. I see people who are less competent than others having it easy here because the 'Supervisor' likes them. Is this the type of Professionalism they offer in this day and age? Pathetic.!!. Blatant lies in your face. No consideration for the employee at all. No appreciation, No Thanks . Some of the people are so uptight they will not even smile at you in the hallway, Ignore you straightaway and shut doors on your face when they are in the elevator as you try to enter it to avoid any contact with "low level people who are not Managers". (Accountability-)Are certain people ( especially higher up) review proof ?. How come that the staff keeps changing and but some people remain in the same position or get rewarded all the time? Strange game. (Feedback)- They ask for feedback during the QBFs. Is anything really done about our feedback? Looks like another eyewash.
    (Rigid, Red Tape)- We have always done it this way. You can give your opinions but we will throw it in the trash.To further screw up things, the middle management is always there .

I admire your review system .Let us have a 2 way review system at the end of this year where we can rank our Supervisors, CEO, Management and all the Executives . Even I and a lot of employees here want to ' honestly help you people' . In this way we will all be happy.

New Chief HR Officer is a joke !

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- strong workforce and middle management which is the backbone of this company
    - reasonable salary & benefits
    - interesting industry

Cons

- new Chief HR Officer with no background in HR management , no HR skills and simply not professional. Got this job because she can follow CEO directions well and hammer her direct reports.
    - ELT that doesn't value nor appreciate the people that make them look good.
    - very negative culture, lots of hidden agenda's and politics.

- they are famous for not listening. Latest business ethics surveys is a great example of that.

Mental torture- RUN ...don't just walk away from this place.

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at Carestream Health as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

-They have some great third party workers. I got a chance to interact with some of the best contractors in the town.

Cons

Rating system, it is the worst thing. It is just another excuse to practice their unethical things- heard it from all the employees here who are equally frustrated as us contractors. Also, it affects us in a way because the Management who are also employees here ( which means they are bound to the ratings system) try to play dirty political games to get better ratings and improve their stock here to which they will go to any extent.
    -Corrupt dishonest Management. .
    -No appreciation for our experience and hard work.
    -I was brand new and given a Project that was way over budget and was told to fix it within 1 week. ( It was over budget by a big amount).
    -The Technical Leads are lazy and refuse to help and when I went to Management, they started yelling at me saying that I do not know my job and I am finding excuses. It was shocking, how is the TL refusal to do their task related to my ability to work? I have been in this business since 30 years and I have not met someone as unprofessional and unreasonable as these people
    -Management had no clue of how things work and used to redirect us to Finance if we had any questions which they should have known the answer to anyway! ( What is their job exactly?).
    -Overall negative work environment with a constant threat of being fired, the Information Technology Project Management organization is filled with bitter individuals frustrated with their personal failures.
    -Openly encourages hiring sons and daughters and husband and wives in same company.
    -Personal enmity or dislike by your supervisor ( it could be any reason other than work., the way you talk, your bad hairstyle ,or the clothes you wear....or you support a wrong team in sports - this is enough for you to get fired ). This shows you how much they really care for your performance.
    -They ran my department IT- PMO like a hot dog joint.
    Kodak people are a destructive force in this company and will not rest until they destroy this place as well of which they are doing a great job.
    -The only way people survive at this place is by doing dirty politics , pull others down, suck up 2 your supervisor. Worst kind of unprofessional people with no integrity and honesty. Most childish people who are not even fit to be cleaning garbage trucks and here they are running Important Projects in the PMO. No wonder they are losing their best talented Project Managers, Young people out of College, Interns and Contractors- this really shows how desperate they are
    -Badmouth and belittle ex-employees and contractors after they have left/laid off- This shows how much class they have.

What goes around comes around. Take a honest look at the statistics ( How many people have left, let go, moved to other departments) This will show you that there is a serious problem somewhere.

Short Term, Incompetence and Toxic

Current Employee - Business Management in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Business Management in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Paycheck and Benefits. Carestream doesn't try to hide its lack of long term potential, poor leadership or retaliatory and incompetent HR organization. All very obvious and in front of you to deal with if you choose.

Cons

A very long list. No long term future - everything that is done is for success, impact or advancement today. The company is well past its sell date, owners and executives are anxious for payouts and exits, There absolutely is no long term plan. Exceptionally poor and unqualified executive sales leadership that squanders on a daily basis any hope for true growth and has no experience or ability to utilize the team in place.

Actually it is not worth providing any advice as simply no one in an executive management role has any interest in listening.

worst experience .....IT-PMO is just too bad

Former Employee - Anonymous in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Rochester, NY

I worked at Carestream Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Nice places like high falls, breweries and good Italian deli nearby
    - The Janitors are very nice and sweet
    - The Cafeteria people are cool.
    -Carestream will make sure you become a good politician, teach you to lie and cheat . If you want success the shortcut way by running over people and cheating them for your personal gains- This place is a perfect fit for you.

Cons

- The forced ranking and review system, brings out the greed in your supervisor, mine was desperate to get maximum bonus and had openly told me during a conversation that anything will be done on her part to get those bonus points,. Result was that I ended up getting fired.
    - The IT-PMO is the worst Organization in the whole building. How the heck the Management there has never been held accountable for anything at all is a mystery to me.
    - These people are habitual liars and they do not even know it.
    - I was in IT-PMO ( which is equal to being placed in a mental hospital) where the Management were big time liars and openly bigoted and biased. They were unreasonable, unprofessional and unsophisticated. Nothing I did convinced them and even after I put in my best performance, they still fired me.
    - Open swearing at workplace. You would get a feeling that you are in a ghetto at times when you are in the filthy company of IT-PMO.
    - Absolutely crude, classless and roguish behavior in the IT-PMO. You get a feeling as if you are dealing with high class thugs with no morals or values whatsoever. I hope these cheaters pay for their cheap acts one day.
    - If your supervisor has decided you have to be fired and does not like you for some personal reason or just wants to get that extra bonus in the annual forced ranking review by showing you are bad, you will be fired no matter what you do and it has nothing to do with your work, even if you are not doing something wrong, they will make sure they find something to pinpoint and use an excuse to fire you. Just like a robber on a street who will just snatch your bag/wallet and run away, IT-PMO will make sure you will be sitting at home and without a job for their personal gain and to cover up for their mistakes

No advice required. I wish the worst for them, I am confident they will bring their own downfall.

Disappointing- Hope to get a new job soon

Current Employee - SAP Business Intelligence Architect in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - SAP Business Intelligence Architect in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Great pay Package
    -the IT Operations and Infrastructure team is excellent and is the best team within the IT organization.
    - Some highly talented individuals in the IT Organization.
    - They have some interesting projects to work ( Thanks to HCIS)
    -Free parking available .

Cons

- A Silly Management that has no idea of what it is doing, they treat their employees really horribly.
    - Some worthless individuals who are mentally unstable are given too much elevation and importance.
    - The whole grading and review system is a big sham. It is just another way of throwing your people under the bus.
    - Most of the people are dishonest, they will say nice things on your face and then stab you right at the center of your back.
    - The HR and Management is filled with cheaters.
    - This company will abuse you and use all your energy and talent and drain you out.
    - Very slow to implementing change.
    -Extremely negative mindset, some of the departments are filled with unprofessional and unethical people who lack even a shred of humanity.
    - Very good at pointing out mistakes that do not even exist but very bad and incompetent at appreciating the good work done.
    - The IT Organization is very stagnant as a whole. Operations and Infrastructure team is nice but Applications team is inept and the IT Project Management Office Management is filled with inhuman lunatics - The IT PMO is probably the most unstable and worst team, I see new Project Managers coming every 2 weeks and leaving in a month. It is a royal pain to explain new things to new Project Managers every 2 weeks who will leave in a month anyways.! The newly hired Project Managers have not been trained properly by Management there and they take it all on us down here in the Applications team because they are too scared of the crazy people in the PMO.
    - Management here does not even stand up to the bullies in the IT PMO and tells me how ' You need to accommodate them'- This sums it up. We are being run over by a group of mafia from that crazy department and the management in the other departments instead of standing up for us tries to please the predators.
    - We have a lot of talented individuals here in Apps who have a lot to offer but our potential is not fully realized. Instead, we are doing things which should be done by other people in the first place!.
    - Process heavy and unfortunately most of the processes do not even work

The secret to success is team work. If you are not going to support your team members, how would you expect success?

Please put the Human back in Human Resources.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not too many left.....good benefit and wage package. Of course the people are fantastic and great to work with.

Cons

I work In Human Resources and we have not had viable functional leadership hear for close to a decade. With Ralph recently retiring, they further undermine the function by bringing in some hot shot for developmental purposes who has no concept on Human Resources and is burning bridges left and right and leaving bodies in her wake. If you work in HR this is not the place to grow your career. Hard to recruit people when you don't believe in it any longer. CEO has no concept of engagement.

Grow your people.....We have a lot to offer. Find a people strategy that works and stick to it.