Carey International Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
Gary L. Kessler

1. Work hard and let mgmt know you want more!

Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Carey International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-flexible work hours
    -benefits seem to be moving in a very positive direction
    -education reimbursement opportunities
    -diverse atmosphere
    -opportunities for growth and advancement
    -upper management working hard to better the technology and accessibility for the company
    -if you want more from your position or want opportunities for advancement, you just need to discuss with your supervisor/manager
    -loyal to their employees if their employees are loyal to them (I left the company to explore a new opportunity and was able to come back. They welcomed me with open arms because of the strong relationships I built prior to my departure and due to my strong work ethic and qualifications)

Cons

-no 401k matching
    -no stock options
    -some management/supervisors do not seem to be best qualified to manage people
    -not very much incentive options or programs

Advice to Management

Hear the people, then listen to the people :)

2. Take Initiative and find Room for Advancement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Carey International (More than 10 years)

Pros

I came to this company 10 year ago , I started in my Early 20's with little experience. I quickly learned the different areas of the company and had some very supportive managers who took the time to mentor me. I have had several different positions within the company and and continue to grow in my career. If you take initiative and work hard there is many opportunities for advancment

Cons

During busy times it can get a bit overwhelming but most call centers are the same way.

Advice to Management

Continue to motivate employees and coach them to their best ability so they have room for advancement which I think they have done a good job with

3. Call Center Supervisor

Current Employee - Supervisor in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Carey International full-time

Pros

Diverse working environment
    Family oriented atmosphere
    Secure company - Stable even during recession
    Very considerate of Work/Life balance

Cons

Can be overwhelming during busy times

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work !!!

5. Growth and Initiative

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Carey International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Carey likes to promote from within. It is up to the Employee to take advantage of all opportunities. The Engagement Center is a professional, friendly environment. It's small enough where everyone knows everybody and all are helpful. While satisfying the customer is our number priority, we do it in a fun work environment. Management cares about the employees and will do what we can to assist in getting what you need. We spend time to train and develop our employees and try to turn any negative into a positive!!!! We offer paid holidays, vacation and sick time. We also offer medical, dental and vision benefits to name a few.

Cons

The company does not match 401k

6. call center

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thurmont, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thurmont, MD

I have been working at Carey International (More than 3 years)

Pros

24/7 call center offering both full and part time employment. Coworkers are very nice. Overall okay work environment

Cons

Management would prefer you not using your sick leave unless you get approval so being sick is not a good reason to call out.

7. Chauffeur

Current Employee - Chauffeur in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Chauffeur in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Carey International

Pros

Great Benefits
    Professional Environment
    Strong on the job support.
    Many big, worldwide accounts, this company isn't going anywhere soon. oldest and biggest Limo company in the world.
    No-nonsense business clients. Very little "Hollywood" or party work which is a big positive.

Cons

Pretty narrow focus which leads to not much opportunity to move into other job categories but I guess this just comes with working in Los Angeles when the headquarters are in Washington D.C.

8. Director of Operations

Current Employee - Director of Operations in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director of Operations in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Carey International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worldwide Professional Chauffeur Operations. Vehicles normally four or less years old.Very Friendly and Professional Chauffeurs. Good training program for Chauffeurs.

Cons

Senior Management missing many operational issues. These issues can be identified by employees but management does not address the issues even once employees have offered solutions.

Advice to Management

Listen to line employees

9. PROFESSIONAL GROWTH IS IN YOUR HANDS !!!

I have been working at Carey International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was afforded the opportunity to start with Carey as a reservation specialist. Shortly after starting it was clear that this would be a GREAT place to work. Learning from the ground up and surrounding myself around people in the company who could assist me in my professional growth. Now going on 17 years and 6 positions later I continue to learn and love my job. Looking at a few of the responses on the website from those who state that there is "No Opportunity" forced me to tell my story. Carey is built on several individuals such as me, who started in positions like dispatch and the reservations department and hold titles in management.
    The key to growth at Carey is in YOUR hands and making yourself available to learn new things.

Cons

Carey like other companies who were challenged during the recession do not offer 401K matches and consistent yearly raises.

Advice to Management

I feel that some departments have separated themselves and often do not take the time to communicate outside their team. It would be great if there was a shadowing initiative so that everyone has the opportunity to understand multiple aspects of the company.

10. Great Company to work for with room for advancement

I have been working at Carey International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the employees have been with the company for years and have a wealth of knowledge. The people are nice and will help, if needed. Once you learn your job and are ready to move on, there are various positions within the company in which you can apply. You also learn alot about the travel industry (airports, hotels, travel agencies) which you can use throughout your career with Carey or with other companies in the industry.

Cons

Company does not provide annual raises. While I like the job, I wish I could also be rewarded financially and receive bonuses.

Advice to Management

I would suggest communicating with employees regularly and do more to recognize employees that work hard and go above and beyond. I would also like to see more training for the employees. If the employees are happy, they will do more for the company.

11. "Take the Initiative"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Carey International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I started in the Call Center AND that was over 10 years ago. I have had great opportunities that allowed me to grow and acquire new skill sets. Starting in the Call Center was a blessing, as it allowed me to understand our service offering AND was a gateway to other departments within the organization. I've been blessed to worked with some great mentors during my tenure (past & current), as well as great co-workers. Anyone who's looking to grow within the company will need to "take the initiative" by surrounding yourself around positive people & setting goals/milestones. I learned early in my career that if the opportunity is right AND you're "qualified" for it...TAKE IT! In every experience, there's a lesson, so glean it & move forward.

Cons

NEGATIVITY! If you're not part of the solution..you're part of the problem. It's okay to voice concerns and/or problems, as long as it's in respectful manner and in the right forum. But, it's not ok when those problems are expressed to people who cannot help, as it only makes a bad situation worse. Being POSITIVE will yield POSITIVE RESULTS!

Advice to Management

Every leader (Supervisor to VP) should have an opportunity to attend the Annual Leadership Conference; I think it's a great learning opportunity to meet & work with other leaders from various departments; Develop & implement Team Building programs; Match 401k again.

RSS Feed </> Embed