Cargill

Cargill Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page

Greg Page

Pros
  • They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance(in 29 reviews)

• Great people and team mates making a friendly work environment(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up(in 27 reviews)

• IT is seen as overhead and the business units do not feel IT is responsive(in 26 reviews)

The inmates are running the asylum

Production Technician (Current Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsThe benefits are decent, and the pay is reasonable for the knowledge required to operate one of the technician positions.

ConsManagement has decided to take a hands-off approach to dealing with personnel. Bad employees will take "issues" to management and talk-down and defame other employees in attempts to promote themselves and get others in trouble. For the most part, management does not look into these statements, choosing rather to take them to be true. On the occasions when management is aware of real problems, they tend to push them under the rug. Management has stated that the quality issues are the concern of management, and that personnel issues should be dealt with among the technicians. Worst 24-7-365 schedule ever conceived, and the union chooses to fight to keep it for fear of losing overtime opportunities. Almost no opportunity for production employees to enter administrative or supervisory positions - employees can apply, but rarely are they considered.

Advice to Senior ManagementForce your managers to deal with the problem employees, and to become involved enough to realize who the real problem employees are.

Good company. Business units in silo's.

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsGreat teamwork and some very good direct supervisors. Advance opportunities are there if you're in with the right people or business unit. You'll work with some very educated and market knowledgable people whom most are very willing to share their expertise with you and your customers. Micro management is low but expecations are high and there are rewards for hard work and collaboration.

ConsSalary is low compared to the industry. You'll be low man with little advancement unless you get "in" with the right people. Manager turn over is high, so expect a new manager every year. Senior managers are not as open and transparent as they profess to be amd will withhold information to suit their needs. Doing the "right" thing will only be done if it benefits the business unit or a particular manager.

Solid and dependable company

Information Technology (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsStable company, long term thinking, privately owned, global in scale and therefore opportunities. Average pay, good benefits, middle to lower level management has generally been some of the best in the business. Historically executives have developed from within the company and understood true long term thinking

ConsHas never understood how IT benefits companies, newer top level executives introducing shorter term thinking. Spending huge amounts on unified applications trying to make the business simpler without understanding how to approach it. Repeated attempts at outsourcing, getting bad results, and then trying it again thinking a new contract will make the vendors better stewards of company resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to long term thinking. Trust your own employees, include them in decision making rather than listening to vendor sales people and executives who only joined the company a few months ago. Cargill's brand is trustworthiness, loyalty, stability. Move back to that model before Cargill's reputation is squandered. Learn from mistakes by not repeating them, rather than trying to perfect them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not for me

Operator (Former Employee)

ProsTraining, decent benefits, good start off point for entry level

Conscompensation lacking, office culture can be unpleasant (dependent of location), very structured (not much room for individuality), not much say in where you advance to

Advice to Senior Managementbe more forward with employees regarding compensation and promotion opportunities. Allow your employees to grow and develop in the path they want. Improve salary and compensation packages.

About to make a very big mistake

Prosnone to speak of at this time

Consoutsourcing everything with meaning leaving the company with no mid range salaries

Change Consultant

Change Management Consultant (Former Employee) Minnetonka, MN

ProsPay was very competitive, benefits were very good, growth opportunities were strong as well. Lots of very smart people. There are a lot of opportunities to travel internationally.

ConsLeadership and culture were very difficult. Great company to start your career - not a good place to come in mid career. I always got the sense that my experiences prior to joining Cargill didn't matter because I didn't have them at Cargill. Experienced hires were always treated as "second class" citizens.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your minds to what others from outside the organization have to bring to the table. Almost all of the leaders grew up with Cargill and have never been "outside the family". Very narrow focus. Just because you're Cargill doesn't make you right.

Human Resource Processionals - Stay Away

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Wayzata, MN

ProsThere is the potential to gain a great deal of experience given the size and many jobs available. It is also an ideal company to start your career. I would not recommend this company for seasoned HR or L&D professionals.

ConsFor seasoned HR or L&D professionals, it is a dead end unless you are in the "clique". They take care of each other and there is this select group that continues to receive all of the opportunities. It is quite dysfunctional. While they speak a lot about "development" they do not practice what they preach. The rest of us are never given a second thought. I am a seasoned HR professional that thought I had a lot to offer this company. It was apparent after a few years that it did not matter because I was not in the "clique".

Within my team, I was told that I was the most professional and accountable. There was one person who had a chronic problem with LOAs and another that was placed on a PIP. We had a manager that was young and just serving her two years so that she could move on to her next promotion. She did move on and the manager that was to oversee our work, gave us little or no time as he was having an affair with a colleague.

I worked hard to find a new role within HR and L&D, but I was not successful. My job was eliminated while the rest of the dysfunction in my HR team remained. I started my job at Cargill feeling so pumped and excited. I left the company feeling quite diminished.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook outside of your own needs and your own circle of relationships and give other internal candidates a chance to show you what they can do - even if they have not had "direct" experience for that very job.

Please be thoughtful before you decide to eliminate a job. I don't think some of you have any idea how it alters a life.

Disappointed

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Wayzata, MN

Pros- Focus on community giving
    - Opportunity to work on global projects
    - Hard working people that really care about customers and doing the right thing

Cons- Lack of accountability of poor performers, especially at the leadership level
    - Little respect for mid-career talent
    - Too many decisions being made with the bottom line in mind; no regard for employees

Advice to Senior ManagementStop paying employees at the lowest percentile. Hold your leaders and their supervisors accountable. A BU functional leader should not have an engagement score below 45% with more than 100% turnover and still be in their position a year later. Would not recommend for certain functions (i.e., communications, marketing, HR).

International Transportation Planner

International Trade Associate (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsGood community partner. they do excellent work for charity

ConsBad management. Too top heavy and they have poor communication internally. EVERYTHING is need to know and they never think you need to know

Advice to Senior Managementtake the time to talk to your people. try and understand life beyond your closed door meetings

Opportunity ... or NOT!

ProsCargill has been a great company to work for with amazing opportunity to network and advance, if you take part in that. As one of the outsourced IT team, I'm wishing I had done so much earlier in my career here.

ConsThere've been a lot of restructuring in the recent years to Global IT. Seems none of them have been truly followed through to completion so has somewhat left it destined to fail at providing stability and the ability to become the holy grail of that center of excellence now being sought.

Advice to Senior ManagementHope your decision to move IT Infrastructure to Managed Services pays off. If not, many dedicated and talented people's lives were disrupted for naught.

Worked for Cargill? Contribute to the Community!