Cargill

Cargill Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page

Greg Page

Pros:
  • "They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance"
    in 28 reviews
  • "Great people and team mates making a friendly work environment"
    in 25 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up"
    in 26 reviews
  • "IT is seen as overhead and the business units do not feel IT is responsive"
    in 24 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Disappointed

IT Analyst (Current Employee)
    Hopkins, MN

ProsLooks good on the resume.

ConsCargill used to be known as a great company to work for. People would start and end their careers here. Now, Cargill has two main objectives: the bottom line and not admitting when they're wrong. They focus more on outsourcing American jobs to India to save employment costs rather than building high performing, collaborative teams that drive improvements.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop beating a dead horse. Neither the initiative to move all of Cargill on SAP nor the one to follow a shared service model will ever be successful. Learn from other top companies in the area that have gone down the outsourcing road...it doesn't work!

Another area to consider is your mid-level management. They focus more on who they know and not who actually does quality work.

Co-op with Cargill

Process Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsHousing stipend was provided, activities with other interns, real world experience. I was able to meet senior leadership and get their advice on projects. Very well developed internship program for the company. Had an intern forum at head quarters so you could network with other interns/ leadership

ConsWorking off-shift to get things done

Neutral

ProsGood growth company. Work environment really nice.

ConsNone. I did not have any issues here

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Polite...very professional.

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsGreat company....lots of divisions and there are ample of opportunity to move up.

ConsThey seem to be push for a younger workforce.

This position gave me a great deal of responsibility and was very rewarding.

Production Management Engineer Intern (Current Employee)
    Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsThere are a lot of strong leaders at Cargill that are very willing to assist the interns and help them learn how to effectively manage projects in the plant.

ConsMost of the plants are located in small towns in the Midwest.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to include the interns in meetings with higher level engineers. This will give them good exposure to the roles they could apply for after graduation.

Huge focus on personal and professional development of the employee

Operations Analyst (Current Employee)
    Hopkins, MN

Prosgreat network of individuals, focus on the development of employees

ConsThe company is behind with technology and electronic solutions, but investing to update systems.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen posting positions, look for someone to grow into the position - it will keep them excited and continually learning.

liked most of the people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Fullerton, CA

Prosat vernon everyone had each others back

Consat fullerton everyone was out to stab you in the back

Advice to Senior Managementyou have a very bad "tattletale" environment at your fullerton D S O N A plant. I have never worked at a plant where everyone is in fear of loseing their job than at fullerton as comming over from vernon where my experience was the exact opposit.

Great resume bullet (but don't stay too long)

Experienced Human Resources Professional (Former Employee)
    Wayzata, MN

ProsLarge, diversified global company so if you can get a project or program implemented across a significant part of the behemoth you can probably do it any where in the world. "Minnesota Nice" culture that values maintaining personal brands and relationships--outwardly friendly but watch how you express the espoused corporate value of "candor." Great business to be a trader or senior management team member on a direct drive bonus scheme.

ConsPoor IT systems, poor work processes, and more value on protecting personal "brands" and establishing mutually protective relationships than getting results. The HR function is, ironically, the worst function at developing talent--classic "cobbler's children" scenario.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe new head of HR needs to clean house among the current HR senior leadership team and their direct reports. More emphasis on protecting fiefdoms than working as a global leadership team.

Enjoyed most of my positions

IT Support (Former Employee)

ProsHuge company with lots of opportunities to change roles/locations. Good pay and 401k & medical contributions. Always reinforcing culture for high ethics and safety.

ConsCore culture use to be aligned with Midwest values - work hard, treat others like family, deliver on promises to other employees. Seen a shift in recent years where too much emphasis is put on people count and the work force is strapped. There has been lots of outsourcing to 3rd parties (which has resulted in less accountability and has taken away the comraderie building atmosphere). People use to start at Cargill and stay for their entire career. Now it seems like a revolving door. High turnover leads to more burden on those employees who have stayed loyal.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to have candid discussions with the employees from the bottom up through mid level management. Resolve the continuous nightmare of dealing with IT helpdesk and support techs that are not Cargill employees and do not understand our systems. They have had 6 years to improve and making little progress in closing the gap in customner satisfaction. Reduce the bureaucracy. Boost the use of sharing knowledge as so much energy, time and money is wasted with each BU going out and doing their own thing.

That's heavy

ProsGood money, good chance to enter

ConsHours in some moths, is to hot in some moths

Worked for Cargill? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cargill reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cargill CEO Greg Page. All 448 reviews posted anonymously by Cargill employees.