Cargill

Updated November 17, 2014
3.4

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page
Greg Page

Pros
  • They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance (in 34 reviews)

• lots of opportunities to try new things, especially if you are willing to relocate (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up (in 31 reviews)

• IT is seen as overhead and the business units do not feel IT is responsive (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company, Lot's Talent, Takes Awhile to Learn the Culture

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Cargill full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Huge company with many opportunities. Great talent to work with. Very clear about what Cargill does well.

Cons

Not easy to understand how things actually get done in regards to the decision making process. Can be difficult to understand and navigate across divisions and business units.

Help new employees understand the unwritten rules of the business and how to best make an impact.

Overall great company to work for, unless you are in Information Technology

Former Employee - Information Technology in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Cargill places a lot of value on serving the communities in which they operate.
    They benefits are good, although, the health insurance benefits have decreased over the years.
    Depending on your manager and the team you work for, there are opportunities to work from home.
    It is a great place to work if you want experience working on a global team.
    They really work at being a company with a diverse culture. In many companies that I have worked for, the amount of women in IT was scarce. Cargill is the first company that I worked for that not only had a greater number of women in IT, but they had women in IT management roles.
    Great co-workers. People look out for each other and really have a desire to see their team and team members succeed.
    Excellent opportunities for advancement

Cons

Do not work here if you are in IT.
    There are a significant number of middle level managers that "manage up". They are more concerned with how they look to upper management, and are not as concerned about the people that work for them.
    IT is their policy to pay to industry standards, but I have found that they tend to pay lower. However, that could be just my experience.

Executive level management - Excellent leaders
    Middle level management - Boy, this level really needs some work. Really try to get a feel for how employees view their managers. You have seen the engagement scores, and the problem has, and continues to be this level of management. You have a few really good middle level managers, but not too many. Help this group of people learn how to manage people as well as business. Encourage them to be candid with their employees, and if they cannot, let the employees know that it is something that they cannot discuss. People appreciate that more than being lied to.
    Supervisors and direct managers really do a good job of pulling together great teams and accomplishing a lot. Take a hard look at your middle management employees and develop a true understanding of how they manage things. I strongly feel that this is the weakest area in Cargill.

Great Company

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really smart people who are focused on what matters - improving the business. Global reach is incredible. Huge amounts of opportunity, but you do have to sacrifice. Drink the kool aid.

Cons

They make you move too often. A bit of a closed environment.

Good company to work for

I have been working at Cargill as an intern

Pros

Nice people and good culture

Cons

not moving in the same direction as competitors

Good career

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities to move among business units earlier in career. International exposure is available.

Cons

A mistake along the way, or a bad relationship with a manager can brand an employee for life, making it difficult to find new opportunities in the company.

Sr managers are good people, just not sure there is the horsepower there to lead a global, $140 billion company.

Good company, takes care of long-time employees

Former Employee - Commodity Merchant in Eddyville, IA
    Former Employee - Commodity Merchant in Eddyville, IA

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well-respected within the industry, a ton of opportunities. The culture is pretty good-a lot of people with small-town backgrounds and values.

Cons

There is a fair amount of structure and you don't have as much freedom to make decisions as some of the smaller grain companies. You also typically don't advance as rapidly due to the emphasis on experience.

Good place to work, but pay could be better.

Current Employee - Transportation Manager in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Transportation Manager in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great laid back atmosphere. Easy work. Good hours.

Cons

Low pay. They hire stupid people for low pay.

Pay a little more to keep top talent.

They hire people to be PC not expertise

Former Employee - AEI Tech in Hammond, IN
    Former Employee - AEI Tech in Hammond, IN

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very little, no leadership from management

Cons

To many young engineers trying to redesign the wheel.

Listen to experienced employees

Full time interview

Current Employee - Quality Management Specialist
    Current Employee - Quality Management Specialist

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

community involvement, travel internationally, hands-on experiment, and mentor

Cons

work by yourself in lab sometimes, working late night shifts

Great company, great people, stressful work with little work/life balance.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Beautiful offices. Everything you need supplied. Co-workers are great and so are benefits. (See cons about insurance and parking). When I first worked there I was floored. They even supplied products in the break rooms (paper plates, bowls, cups, plasticware). For the ladies they even provide sanitary items free in the restrooms. Cubicles/Desks are roomy with plenty of room to spread out work or collaborate on work projects. Great deals on meat, but you have to buy in bulk so can split with family or co-workers. They have a great health incentive program that rewards you well for taking care of your health, becoming active, having healthy numbers.

Cons

Insurance costs are high and you still have to pay quite a bit out of pocket about $120+ per month for insurance with a high deductible. Pay to park is costly $20-40 per month. Each job is specific and as such there's no standardized training. You have to be trained one on one. Which can be problematic if your trainer isn't a good one. Enjoyed job until they whittled down the number of people to do it. You have many people feeding you work, without all the information needed to complete it. No work life balance really. If you like lots of overtime, this may be the place for you. You can be let go with no notice, even if you've met all requirements of the job, with no reason given. Don't think because you're the only one who knows the job you have any security. My job was the only place to promote unless the supervisor left. Someone who had an exceptional rapport with the supervisor wanted to advance. Suddenly I'm out of a job. Just because the company is ethical, doesn't mean you will get a fair shake if your management decides they'd rather have their buddy in your position. I'm not a sour grapes type of person. I'm just telling it like it is. You have to work in one position for a year or more before you can transfer. When that year is up, promotion focused people will be after your position if it's higher than yours. Went through that with two co-workers. Thankfully one moved to another department. Bad thing is they'll be gone in a year, where I was planning to work at it for a few before attempting to move up out of loyalty to my supervisor and a desire to add some stability to the department. Guess I should have transferred elsewhere. Note to folks who get on there. Use your personal holiday floater before vacation, because when you leave, you do not get paid for it.

Reward loyalty, don't oust a good and skilled employee to provide a favorite with a promotion. Be a little more transparent with information about benefits and usage. Especially as folks are kept so busy they don't have a chance to go to any of the planned events about benefits, health fairs, farmer's markets, meet and greets, etc. The big luncheons are BORING. I know they're supposed to be better, but make it more of an occasion to get to know folks from other departments and what they do, and then give us information about performance. C-Talks are likewise. Most folks who have worked there sometime that I spoke with wouldn't be dragged to either.