Cargill

Cargill Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page

Greg Page

Pros:
  • "They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Great people and team mates making a friendly work environment"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up"
    in 23 reviews
  • "I found it difficult to transfer between business units having a background in other companies besides Cargill"
    in 21 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to make a career

I have been working at Cargill full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat culture; great people. Good benefits.

ConsNot strong in the I/T department

Building a great place to work in Fort Dodge

Fort Dodge, IA

I have been working at Cargill full-time

ProsCargill Corn Milling purchased the Fort Dodge location from Tate & Lyle and finished building using foreign technology. In many cases, it probably would have been easier to raze what T&L built and start from scratch. The plant started operations in fall 2013. The staff are full of optimism and enthusiasm, recognizing the opportunity we have - that we are starting our culture from the beginning. Many people are heard to say, "If this isn't a good place to work in two years, then it's OUR fault." The leadership team has a solid plan for building employee engagement and retention, and are very cognizant of their role in establishing and supporting the site culture. Excellent investment in hourly staff, including Covey's Seven Habits training for everyone. Focus on occupational safety and food safety is strong. Community outreach program was robust in the beginning. Cargill senior leadership visit twice a year, and Corn Milling Senior Leadership more often; very approachable and personable.

ConsMost of the salaried positions are filled by inexperienced personnel, who are in stretch assignments, PLUS the stress of starting up a new plant. Not enough focus on development paths and career investment. "Address it or drop it" slogan isn't working out as positively as it does on paper, still a lot of closed-door discussions. Not sure that the culture vision is shared with or supported by most recent leadership hires.
  Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up. Lower pay, less vacation than comparable companies. Too long between advancement opportunities. Experience outside of Cargill isn't counted the same. Not enough accountability for values deviations and repeat safety violations, leading to disillusionment among the management staff. Push for team building and community outreach in the beginning starting to fade in favor of operations challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time building the culture and talent now, instead of trying to fix it later. Change the organization structure to provide more opportunities for advancement in two-year increments rather than taking three to five years, even if it's just by adding "senior" to the same job title, to retain millenials, Gen X and Gen Y staff. Find the balance between responsibility and accountability. Don't get cheap around occupational and food safety just because we're over budget - there's fat that can be cut elsewhere. Value outside experience MORE than internal experience - need fresh ideas. Push for work-life balance.

The people there are always willing to help you learn.

Accounting Associate (Current Employee)
Hopkins, MN

I have been working at Cargill full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat atmosphere, great salary, and great benefits.

ConsMostly a younger based employee pool.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am from the old school where your manager and supervisor knew your job as well as you do. Unfortunately this not true with Cargill or basically any company I have worked for lately.

Great global company

I have been working at Cargill full-time for more than a year

ProsGlobal experience
Enterprise experience
Great development opportunities

ConsLacks innovation
Slow moving in regards to change

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on middle management and the ability they have to develop talent

Above Average

I have been working at Cargill full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible work environment and reasonable hours

Consmanagement communication is lacking with staff

Great Development Opportunities

Quality Assurance (Former Employee)
Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Cargill full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWalked the walk of development culture. If you have the desire and the initiative, this is the place to grow and advance.

ConsGenerally speaking, must be willing to relocate for best advancement opportunities.

Cargill, the good the bad the ugly

Information Technology Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Cargill full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLarge company and plenty of options to move around if you're located at a major business unit location.

ConsTalent is wasted by outsourcing it and there is a huge disconnect from IT leadership and what the business needs and wants. They are looking for cheap labor at this time so if you can automate it they'll source it.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe most important assets of your company walk out the door every night.

Outsourced IT to India

I have been working at Cargill

ProsGood work/life balance, great team members

ConsLack of leadership @ the highest IT levels, constant turnover and changes cause the IT department to never get anything done.

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink your direction. Many companies have tried what you are doing and made things much worse for them to get anything done with IT.

Overall its been OK

Senior Technical Analyst (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Cargill full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLarge company with opportunities. Great benefits. Great people work there. I would recommend Cargill if you not in IT.

ConsThey have been trying to outsource IT for the last 5 years. They will outsource all IT infrastructure globally over the next 8 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can do IT in-house better and cheaper but you have to be willing to invest in it.

Really?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cargill

ProsI received really strong experience.

ConsManagement allowed their personal views to interfere with talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house at the management level.

Worked for Cargill? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cargill reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cargill CEO Greg Page. All 387 reviews posted anonymously by Cargill employees.