www.cargill.com

Updated December 15, 2014
3.4

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page
Greg Page

Pros
  • They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Great people and team mates making a friendly work environment (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up (in 33 reviews)

• IT is seen as overhead and the business units do not feel IT is responsive (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company; outsources functions not in core competency

I have been working at Cargill

Pros

Stable, global, diversified company.

Cons

They outsourced the entire IT Infrastructure organization from a technical perspective, leaving only a retained org of management. They have a tendency to outsource functions that are not in their "core competency" of trading, ag, etc.

Fun Work Place

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Get to wears jeans and fun tops on Fridays :)

Cons

Vending machines don't have crunchy cheetos :(
    Be warned they do not allow pets in the office - they made me take my hamster home. It was very unfair because she (Josie) didn't make any noise at all. She was so happy at the office the three days before my boss came back from vacation and made me take her home. Sad really.

Get Cheetos :)
    Allow pets that do not bark or meow. I think it would be very nice to be able to hold and pet a small animal during meetings or over lunch.

Cargill

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Cargill many business units provide security that there is always more to learn and more career and personal opportunities available within Cargill. This being said I have never felt bored at my career; I am working for my third business unit in my 10th year of working for Cargill and love it! Cargill has a family type environment were co-workers not only care about each other but passionately care about the projects and industries they are focused in.

Cons

I really don’t have any con’s, maybe some other companies pay better but from what I see those companies don’t treat their employees as well as Cargill does. My only regret working for Cargill is not starting sooner.

At times our company can seem a little risk adverse, if I had to say one thing about management is: trust your employees instincts sooner, this would lead to faster responses and better efficiency.

Lots of responsibility and room to grow if they listen on the animal nutrient side.

Former Employee - Customer Service Tech/Production Tech in West Branch, IA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Tech/Production Tech in West Branch, IA

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life is okay as well as pay. There is room for advancement and I don't see in the near future of going anywhere as a whole company, but you never know. there is job security in a not so stable economy at the moment if your in a larger plant, but smaller sites are a little iffy with reorgs that seem to be coming down, but that also could be a way in.

Cons

Lack of listening and direction at times,. good ideas as well as needs for departments and personnel get moth balled or ignored until its to the boiling point. The problem with advancement is if you want to get higher in the company you have to move just like most places like this. They aren't upfront with certain things and stability in smaller plants is not guaranteed due to undermanned, outdated, not able to keep up with the newer plants and some of the plants and distribution points are not close to areas as well as capital list needs are not met in a timely manner which puts a lot of stress on employees/management of those plants as well as uncertainty in customers. Also they may care to a point, but if it affects business your on your own.

Get back in touch with your employees and customers, i know its hard since its a big company, but the little things go a long way and being properly staffed instead of being stretched beyond your means means alot to people especially when they can get time off and not have to cancel everytime someone is ill or a customer decides they want it now. Also have a system in place so if equipment and personnel as well as facility needs are needed it can get noticed and looked at right away and do a way with the model mill crap, it actually is giving false impression/readings half the time.

Nothing much

Current Employee - Sourcing Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sourcing Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Cargill

Pros

family owned, lots going on

Cons

not growing, too much going on

need to promote innovation and allow people to grow.

Great Company, Lot's Talent, Takes Awhile to Learn the Culture

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Cargill full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Huge company with many opportunities. Great talent to work with. Very clear about what Cargill does well.

Cons

Not easy to understand how things actually get done in regards to the decision making process. Can be difficult to understand and navigate across divisions and business units.

Help new employees understand the unwritten rules of the business and how to best make an impact.

Overall great company to work for, unless you are in Information Technology

Former Employee - Information Technology in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Cargill places a lot of value on serving the communities in which they operate.
    They benefits are good, although, the health insurance benefits have decreased over the years.
    Depending on your manager and the team you work for, there are opportunities to work from home.
    It is a great place to work if you want experience working on a global team.
    They really work at being a company with a diverse culture. In many companies that I have worked for, the amount of women in IT was scarce. Cargill is the first company that I worked for that not only had a greater number of women in IT, but they had women in IT management roles.
    Great co-workers. People look out for each other and really have a desire to see their team and team members succeed.
    Excellent opportunities for advancement

Cons

Do not work here if you are in IT.
    There are a significant number of middle level managers that "manage up". They are more concerned with how they look to upper management, and are not as concerned about the people that work for them.
    IT is their policy to pay to industry standards, but I have found that they tend to pay lower. However, that could be just my experience.

Executive level management - Excellent leaders
    Middle level management - Boy, this level really needs some work. Really try to get a feel for how employees view their managers. You have seen the engagement scores, and the problem has, and continues to be this level of management. You have a few really good middle level managers, but not too many. Help this group of people learn how to manage people as well as business. Encourage them to be candid with their employees, and if they cannot, let the employees know that it is something that they cannot discuss. People appreciate that more than being lied to.
    Supervisors and direct managers really do a good job of pulling together great teams and accomplishing a lot. Take a hard look at your middle management employees and develop a true understanding of how they manage things. I strongly feel that this is the weakest area in Cargill.

Good company to work for

I have been working at Cargill as an intern

Pros

Nice people and good culture

Cons

not moving in the same direction as competitors

Great Company

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really smart people who are focused on what matters - improving the business. Global reach is incredible. Huge amounts of opportunity, but you do have to sacrifice. Drink the kool aid.

Cons

They make you move too often. A bit of a closed environment.

Good career

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities to move among business units earlier in career. International exposure is available.

Cons

A mistake along the way, or a bad relationship with a manager can brand an employee for life, making it difficult to find new opportunities in the company.

Sr managers are good people, just not sure there is the horsepower there to lead a global, $140 billion company.