Cargill

Cargill Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page

Greg Page

Pros
  • They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance(in 29 reviews)

• Great people and team mates making a friendly work environment(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up(in 27 reviews)

• IT is seen as overhead and the business units do not feel IT is responsive(in 26 reviews)

Great company to work for with lot's of development opportunities if you seize them.

ProsCompany likes to develop employees and it likes to hire internally. Flexible work schedule is great. High ethical standards and a sense of shared community responsibility.

ConsCargill is not a very lean company due to it being a private company. It has started to trim down some benefits. Nothing too bad but it needs to be weary of losing the awesome culture it has garnered leading to many working there for life. IT systems are somewhat old.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on streamlining IT services to save time and money.

Great Place to Start a Career

Intern (Former Employee) Wayzata, MN

ProsCargill is very professional in terms of management style and, as a private company, takes a long-term approach in assessing its business strategies and plans. People are very helpful and the culture fosters collaboration and teamwork. The international aspect of the company's operations is a plus.

ConsAs with most large enterprises, decision-making can be slow. Also, as few employees leave, opportunities for advancement can be limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to share as much information as possible regarding the company's strategy and future direction with employees.

Unmatched global business exposure

Supply Chain Analyst (Former Employee) Wayzata, MN

ProsMotivating leadership, opportunities to take risks and make history with large deals

ConsCulture can be very conservative and change comes slowly. Turning ideas around can take many months if not years at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease streamline some of the bureaucracy.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great international company

Grain Merchandiser (Former Employee)

Proshuge company with small company feel, great personal development processes, strong HR department and benefits, great intern program

Conssome locations not very glamorous

Advice to Senior Managementkeep promoting how widespread the company is internally - give the employees a sense for their impact

Cargill was a great place to work

Senior Technical Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsCargill is a great place to work. Great people, great opportunities, global company so if you want to go anywhere in the world, chances are you could stay within the Cargill company. If you are at corporate, it's sort of out in the sticks but they have concergie services for just about anything you would need.

Consaverage pay, depending on what you do you may be required to relocate or accept another position in the location you are in

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have good people working for you, rely on your people to make good decisions

Good Work/Life Balance

IT Project Manager (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGood people and very professional environment to work. Managers and supervisors are very willing to help you be successful to accomplish your goals.

Cons• Too much change
    • Lack of trust of upper management

Advice to Senior Management• Employees need more communication and less change. Before one transformation starts another one begins. Stability is the word

Many opportunities to grow and develop

IT Supervisor (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsTruly enjoyed working for Cargill for many years. They offered unlimited opportunities for growth and development. Senior management is excellent. Great company culture with people working together. Highly ethical company that lives its values.

ConsThere are pockets of unrealistic goals and low engagement including their SAP deployment project (Tartan). Really depends where you work and who you work for. Still some bad middle managers they need to get rid off.
    Sometimes outdated technology or principles: e.g. only managers are allowed to have email on their phones. They get a lot more work done if they allowed it for everyone. Booting your laptop takes 10 minutes...

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue focus on inovation.

Wonderful

Intern (Current Employee) Newark, CA

ProsEveryone is very friendly and they are always dealing with exciting work. As big as Cargill is, they still make an amazing effort to make the company feel like a big family. Loved the people I worked with!

ConsThe only thing is that most of the employees I worked with were a little on the older end of the age spectrum. I am in my mid twenties and had to be the youngest by 15 or so years (although I was an intern).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

very nice people, and working environment

Lab Technician (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Proswork efficiency is high, very mature management system

Consbig company like this has mature management, no obvious drawbacks.

Advice to Senior Managementperfect

Great company, great people

Associate (Current Employee) Wayzata, MN

ProsExcellent work environment; supportive and energetic colleagues; private company focused on long-term objectives; a core business that is stable (as compared to sectors like technology).

ConsIt is somewhat difficult to advance because no one wants to leave the company. Also, the sheer size of the firm sometimes impedes communications reaching a world-wide employee population.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to communicate company strategy and goals and how each employee can contribute to Cargill's success

Worked for Cargill? Contribute to the Community!