Cargill Reviews

Reset
3.3
Cargill President & CEO David W. MacLennan
David W. MacLennan

Pros
  • multicultural world wide private work life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Great people to work along side and learn from (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • the work life balance is extrememly difficult (in 33 reviews)

• Higher than acceptable costs are less likely from having too many people than from having people duplicating work across the multiple business units (in 29 reviews)

Cargill is a stable, respected company that values stakeholders enough to invest in their professional development.

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Monticello, MN
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Monticello, MN

Pros

Cargill has provided me with the best possible career opportunities that I could ask for right out of college. I was hired from a career fair -- I didn't think that actually happened! I was unfamiliar with the smaller business unit that I interviewed for, but of course, I knew Cargill had a great reputation. I decided to go for it, and I have not regretted it once in the past 5 years that I have been working here. Besides working for an incredibly stable, well-respected global company, I think the best aspect of my career at Cargill is the opportunity to grow my career as my priorities change. Cargill makes it quite clear that the job that you first accept upon hire may not the the same job as the one that you want 5 or 10 years from now. Therefore, they work with us to acheive a sort of continuous improvement of ourselves! Of course, you need to take your career into your own hands, rather than waiting for your manager to do it for you, but as long as you are willing to take some risks and be honest with yourself and your manager, there are plenty of opportunities to develop both personnally and professionally. Not many companies are willing to invest that type of money in their employees. However, Cargill sees their employees as their most valuable asset, so they are willing to invest a little money to retain their assets! Nourishing Ideas. Nourishing People. That kind of says it all. Because Cargill is such a large company, we have many opportunities for success sharing and diversity training that other employers cannot offer. 160,000 employees help provide food, ag, and risk-management services to 67 countries around the world. We don't take these opportunities for diversity for granted. In fact, there are several conferences and councils organized around these topics. They offer a chance to visit with employees from 6 continents, or even a nearby town! No matter how many miles away, we value the fact that everyone has something to contribute, and we believe that sence of collaboration is a key to success. Another great aspect of working for Cargill is a strong sense of culture that has existed for generations of Cargill. The values and ethics of the company are firm, and Cargill holds their employees, customers, and suppliers to the same level of integrity. Cargill is constantly being challenged in this global economy, but I am very proud to work for a company that stands by their word and their handshake. This is how great companies are made and more importantly, how they are kept.

Cons

Cargill is the second largest privately-held company in the world, which is absolutely incredible to say you are a part of. All around the world, Cargill is known for treating their stakeholders ethically and fairly, including the way they compensate their employees. Cargill strategically decides not to pay their employees the highest or the lowest for their jobs... I believe the number is somewhere around the 70% median. This is not the highest, but it is very fair. However, something that not everyone thinks about is the "TOTAL COMPENSATION PACKAGE." There is salary, and then there is the rest of the package that you can take advantage of as a stakeholder. In a tough economy, we are proud and quite thankful to say that we work for a company that has a 401K and ESOP program that is growing exponentially each quarter! That alone sets Cargill apart from other employers. Other benefits include the fantastic insurance, retirement, and work-life solutions that they offer. It may be a bit of a turn off for some people to work for such a large company. Yes, it is large, but I want to point out that there are several dozen business units that are much smaller that make up the larger Cargill family. I believe you can acheive the comfort of a smaller company with the benefits of the larger Cargill corporate business... the best of both worlds.

Advice to Management

Continue to offer young, fresh-out-of-college students the types of opportunities that I have received in the past 5 years. The fact that Cargill took a chance on me and all my inexperience has been the number one reason for me to ignore recruiters that call regularly. Our generation is also quite undecisive and expect flexibility from our employers, so offering the types of opportunities such as job sharing and business-specific training are important. Also, be sure that when hiring new employees that our strong sense of culture is shared. Our company is not for everyone, and the more clearly we can communicate that message of culture and ethics, the better the chance of a successfull hire.

2. Cargill - Quality Place To Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Olmsted, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Olmsted, OH

Pros

Family-Oriented Organization Among Employees on the Job Site. A geat deal of cohesiveness as a team to achieve any job that needs to be done. Respectful Group to Work With and Socialize With - which should be read as "highly respectful of a person as a person," without separation of race, creed, color, sexuality, etc..

Cons

Management hours can be very heavy. However, the workplace is highly inviting which makes your time there fun, and a positive part of your day.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Family atmosphere and hard work have developed into a group of workers that take pride in what they are doing.

3. Supportive teams of great people made for a fun work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

Pros

All the people were intelligent and most were excited about the work they were doing. People who came across as less excited about their workload and opportunities had been with the company and in the same position for a long time, and perhaps some degree of burnout had occurred.

Cons

The harvest season was extremely busy and required very long hours to keep up with the work. This meant coming in very early in the morning and staying later than a typical day as well. Time off during this time was somewhat nonexistant!! However, it was still a team of people working with you, so I never felt alone on a project.

Advice to Management

The management team working with me was always honest while being supportive and as helpful as they could be.

5. Lots of autonomy

Current Employee - Middle Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Middle Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

lots of autonomy, a variety of opportunities in many different businesses and industries, hiring managers are generally open about background and experiences required, promotions based on merit, if you want to relocate, lots of opportunities to move for new work and life experiences.

Cons

If you don't want to relocate, opportunities can be more limited and many of the locations are outside of major metropolitan areas.

Advice to Management

Family friendly policies and benefits could be further improved to be more competitive for talent looking at other large Fortune 100 employers.

6. Lots of Opportunities

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Hopkins, MN
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Hopkins, MN

Pros

Great opportunities for development, growing company. They provide meaningful work for a noble purpose--nourishing the world. Company is undergoing major changes to become a more efficient, truly global company.

Cons

Work-life balance can be an issue.

Advice to Management

Continue the good work of communicating with staff around the globe.

7. Cargill is a great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blair, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blair, NE

Pros

friendly co-workers, small town environment (but close to the city) with great facilities - they spent a bundle and it shows! Cargill definitely believes in its products, believes in its people and generally makes you believe as an employee that your input is valued and you are valuable to the company.

Cons

Depending on your role in the company, geographic location can become a career limiter. With international HQ based just outside of Minneapolis, if you want to advance in the company, be prepared to move there. Also with being such a huge company (when I was there they were the largest privately held company in the world), sometimes a unilateral decision would be made at HQ that just didn't make sense to the field offices. But as long as the business unit is making money, the guys at the top didn't mess with it too much.

Advice to Management

In general, I saw top management making good decisions and hopefully they still are. But be aware that something that makes sense in a global economy in China may not make as much sense in little Blair, NE.

8. Great Culture

Former Employee - Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Fascinating company, diverse businesses Emphasis on learning and training

Cons

Need more employee career development

Great place to work, good work ethic and fun

Current Employee - Regional Controller in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Regional Controller in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Strong Ethics Reasonable pay for reasonable hours Good career opportunities (see cons) Very egalitarian structure

Cons

A bit of an old boys club Requires significant internal networking for the better jobs Can get lost in the number of people, takes time to stand out

It was a fun learning experience.

Former Employee - Elevator Operator in Topeka, KS
    Former Employee - Elevator Operator in Topeka, KS

Pros

Management took care of their employees. Compensation was very generous. It was hard work, but at the end of the day you feel like you accomplished something. Good opportunity to work in other positions.

Cons

The only really con to the job was that there was some strange hours. Shuttle trains would come in that would have to be unloaded within 24 hours and that created some odd work hours, but as state previously you were compensated generously for that.

Advice to Management

The management did a great job at taking care of the employees, especially when odd work hours were required. On more than one occasion throughout the summer the management team purchased lunch for the entire workforce.

11. Financial stability aside, a wonderful place to work and grow

Current Employee - Beverage Technician in Wayzata, MN
    Current Employee - Beverage Technician in Wayzata, MN

Pros

Felt like part of a team, learned something new every day, co-workers felt like friends, great place to gain new skills

Cons

I was a contracted hire at this company, and due to financial and legal reasons, I was limited in what I could do as a worker there, and outside of my immediate group of co-workers, I was treated as "just a number." The only thing on the minds of upper management was "when will that contractor be let go so we can save money." They had the nerve to force me to leave during the holidays with little more than than a "Thanks and good luck."

RSS Feed </> Embed