Cargill

Cargill Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page

Greg Page

Pros
  • They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance (in 31 reviews)

• Great people and team mates making a friendly work environment (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up (in 27 reviews)

• IT is seen as overhead and the business units do not feel IT is responsive (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Could be a great company

Production Manager (Former Employee)

ProsPay and people are great. Even being a union plant most of the people want to do the right thing.

ConsManagement has no idea on how to operate a plant efficiently. They brought all new management and they ran it in the ground. While I was there we had two record years...those days are long gone. Always wanting people to move.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people with proven track records. Not people who know they are not qualified.

Undervalued and under appreciated

Senior IT Technical Analyst (Current Employee) Hopkins, MN

ProsThe best thing about working here is the average workers. Cargill hires some great people that are intelligent, loyal, and great all-around people to work with - the unfortunate aspect is Cargill under values them.

The company overall is a large contributor the community and seems to have strong ethical values.

ConsRecently the company decided to outsource 900 jobs to a third party provider, they've yet to learn that some of the issues that they desire to fix with these actions isn't going to work. This has been tried in smaller scales before and resulted in worse service for the businesses. There is constant changes and attempts to fix the issues, the only thing consistent has been the leadership staff, anyone else see the problem here?

Advice to Senior ManagementParticularly for senior leadership, it's time to recognize your own mistakes and failures and accept responsibility for your actions. Have enough honor and pride to hold yourselves to the same level of expectations that you'd expect from subordinates.

No growth, slow moving corporate environment with slow innovation in technology

Biotechnologist (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Prosstability, slow paced, low expectations

Conslow salary, low transparency, promotions are not performance based

Advice to Senior Managementrevamp technology to be a priority rather than a show piece

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible manager leading an incompetent team

ProsGood benefits and salary
    Opportunities to advance on the ladder

ConsYour experience will vary depending on which department and manager you work under, but I had the unfortunate experience of working in a team that worked under a terrible manager.. This manager was hardly ever in the office to actually do his job of managing. If the team is lacking in performance, the problem lies with the manager. This is what HR doesn't get. HR needs to investigate into how their managers do their job and get rid of those who don't.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe success of a team lies with the competence of the manager. You need to weed out the ones who don't take their job seriously and only want to bring in their own team from foreign countries.

Just look at how many people they are hiring...if you are smart you'll get the picture

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Vermilion, AB (Canada)

ProsJob can be interesting at times depending on your responsibilities. You will learn a lot in this job, sometimes too much. The global commodity market is ever-changing so grain marketing will be challenging.

Rural Alberta can be a fun place in summer time. Your customer base (farmers) are usually decent people.

Some very supportive colleagues, some employees have been with the company for a very long time and are highly experienced, although that's becoming a rarity these days.

ConsRife with cronyism these days. Because of exodus/retirement of experienced staff, you will often find 20 year olds in charge (even as general managers!). These gun-ho, "I am always right" people often mess up and everyone else EXCEPT them pays the price. I've seen experienced people being thrown under the bus for management's mistakes...REPEATEDLY. This has led to extremely high turnover. 100% turnover in the sales team within 11 month.

I was at our national sales meeting and we were all shown the statistics. Cargill has a turnover rate of 50% in 2013. More shocking are the attitudes towards this. We were told that it is normal for agriculture industry...no more discussions, next topic.

Performance & promotions are a joke. People with little relevant background and experience are put into various positions because they know the right people. If that's your game, then Cargill is the right place for you. If you are not into politicking, then best stay clear of this organization.

Pay is THE lowest in agriculture industry for the employees (sales, support & operation staff), yet quite high for managers. The constant turnover means that you will often be doing other people's work, for no extra pay and sometimes not even recognition.

Poor image among customers. A lot of initiatives are pushed by people looking for quick promotion at the expense of customer relationship. By the same regards, good ideas and deals for the company are left on the table because they didn't benefit some higher-ups personal fame and glory.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of useless managers and rein in the politicking

Awful- unreliable company. Don't work here!!!!! They will lay you off instantaneously or ask you to relocate.

Inventory Planner (Current Employee) Gainesville, GA

ProsDon't need to work hard

ConsPay. Getting laid off after three weeks of being there. Never told any of this during the interview process.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe kinder to your employees and let them know before they accept the position that there to get laid off. Karma will bite you soon and hope you lose your job one day too mgt.

Cargill: women get run over by the male promotion chain

ProsBetter job security than most.

ConsThe male (and particularly white male) promotion train runs strong. Just look at the announcements. Apparently nourishing the world is something only men know how to do. They talk about wanting to thrive as a business and in the community. You can't thrive at the expense of others.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing more to say, they aren't paying attention.

bad pay, bad benefits, bad managers, bad strategy, bad support, and bad safety in their plants

Supervisor (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsLearning experience with old timers at the plant

ConsLack of responsibility at the management level

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so afraid of each other - keep it honest!

This company is run by people that have been at the company far too long.

IT Analyst (Current Employee) Hopkins, MN

ProsWork life balance is good

ConsNot good environment for new people joining the company
    Company controlled by people that have been with the company for 25+ years
    Poor raises and bonus pay outs
    US Minorities are treated poorly. Young people are treated poorly
    They fire new people and minorities for no reason
    Work does not get executed

Advice to Senior ManagementDo an early retirement and get rid of the people that have been with the company forever

Was a great company one day!

Finance (Former Employee) Cairo (Egypt)

ProsGreat learning place
    Great people to learn from
    A very large company with the real sense of a multinational.
    A very diversified portfolio that can take tough times and still make money.

ConsLack of courage from managment side to say no to bad initiatives and to admit mistakes.
    Too political and you need to be of certain heritage, origin, and some times religious affiliation to reach certain managerial positions.
    Lots of broken promises
    Not focused on retaining people.
    Not focused on training people
    Not open to diversity and different way of thinking.
    Retaliation for opposing managment opinions is a very common practice.
    lot of procarsination from managment.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to different ideas.
    Be open to diversity.
    Admit mistakes
    be accountable for your own actions and mistakes.
    Apply the values you preach about and start with yourselves.
    Implement an effective way of evaluating people rather than the chit chat behind closed doors without telling employees what they need to develop.
    Specifically for Egypt office managment: Stop abusing the company and be ethical employees working for the best of the company rather than working for your own benefits.

Worked for Cargill? Contribute to the Community!