Cargill

Updated December 15, 2014
3.4

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page
Greg Page

Pros
  • They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Great people and team mates making a friendly work environment (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up (in 33 reviews)

• IT is seen as overhead and the business units do not feel IT is responsive (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company, takes care of long-time employees

Former Employee - Commodity Merchant in Eddyville, IA
    Former Employee - Commodity Merchant in Eddyville, IA

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well-respected within the industry, a ton of opportunities. The culture is pretty good-a lot of people with small-town backgrounds and values.

Cons

There is a fair amount of structure and you don't have as much freedom to make decisions as some of the smaller grain companies. You also typically don't advance as rapidly due to the emphasis on experience.

Good place to work, but pay could be better.

Current Employee - Transportation Manager in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Transportation Manager in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great laid back atmosphere. Easy work. Good hours.

Cons

Low pay. They hire stupid people for low pay.

Pay a little more to keep top talent.

They hire people to be PC not expertise

Former Employee - AEI Tech in Hammond, IN
    Former Employee - AEI Tech in Hammond, IN

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very little, no leadership from management

Cons

To many young engineers trying to redesign the wheel.

Listen to experienced employees

Full time interview

Current Employee - Quality Management Specialist
    Current Employee - Quality Management Specialist

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

community involvement, travel internationally, hands-on experiment, and mentor

Cons

work by yourself in lab sometimes, working late night shifts

Great company, great people, stressful work with little work/life balance.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Beautiful offices. Everything you need supplied. Co-workers are great and so are benefits. (See cons about insurance and parking). When I first worked there I was floored. They even supplied products in the break rooms (paper plates, bowls, cups, plasticware). For the ladies they even provide sanitary items free in the restrooms. Cubicles/Desks are roomy with plenty of room to spread out work or collaborate on work projects. Great deals on meat, but you have to buy in bulk so can split with family or co-workers. They have a great health incentive program that rewards you well for taking care of your health, becoming active, having healthy numbers.

Cons

Insurance costs are high and you still have to pay quite a bit out of pocket about $120+ per month for insurance with a high deductible. Pay to park is costly $20-40 per month. Each job is specific and as such there's no standardized training. You have to be trained one on one. Which can be problematic if your trainer isn't a good one. Enjoyed job until they whittled down the number of people to do it. You have many people feeding you work, without all the information needed to complete it. No work life balance really. If you like lots of overtime, this may be the place for you. You can be let go with no notice, even if you've met all requirements of the job, with no reason given. Don't think because you're the only one who knows the job you have any security. My job was the only place to promote unless the supervisor left. Someone who had an exceptional rapport with the supervisor wanted to advance. Suddenly I'm out of a job. Just because the company is ethical, doesn't mean you will get a fair shake if your management decides they'd rather have their buddy in your position. I'm not a sour grapes type of person. I'm just telling it like it is. You have to work in one position for a year or more before you can transfer. When that year is up, promotion focused people will be after your position if it's higher than yours. Went through that with two co-workers. Thankfully one moved to another department. Bad thing is they'll be gone in a year, where I was planning to work at it for a few before attempting to move up out of loyalty to my supervisor and a desire to add some stability to the department. Guess I should have transferred elsewhere. Note to folks who get on there. Use your personal holiday floater before vacation, because when you leave, you do not get paid for it.

Reward loyalty, don't oust a good and skilled employee to provide a favorite with a promotion. Be a little more transparent with information about benefits and usage. Especially as folks are kept so busy they don't have a chance to go to any of the planned events about benefits, health fairs, farmer's markets, meet and greets, etc. The big luncheons are BORING. I know they're supposed to be better, but make it more of an occasion to get to know folks from other departments and what they do, and then give us information about performance. C-Talks are likewise. Most folks who have worked there sometime that I spoke with wouldn't be dragged to either.

Good place to cut your teeth.

Former Employee - Boarding Agent in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Boarding Agent in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company Car and cell, decent benefits, exposure to a variety of situations, laid back corporate structure.

Cons

Toxic office politics, 0 work-life balance, on-call, 80-100 hour work weeks during harvest, salary is nothing without OT, pay is less than most considering the sacrifices made.

Provide realistic career tracks to incoming employees, pay more to attract top talent, OT is billed to customers - not Cargill,

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Global company.
    Good experience gained to leave and find a better job.

Cons

Third party managed services.
    Lack of compassion and respect for IT. IT is just viewed as a commodity.
    Exceptionally poor financial results and hideous bonus'.

Begin putting together a plan to bring IT Infrastucture back in-house. You will need it by 2019 if not earlier.

Project Engineering Intern

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Cargill full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very flexible work/life balance
    Involved in vital economic sectors

Cons

Not a diverse mindset
    Lack of advance technology applications
    Salaries are not as competitive

Cargill Review

I have been working at Cargill

Pros

Good relocation package, a lot of opportunities for advancement, large networking, good culture

Cons

Financial sector paid less than other sectors, some locations are in the middle of nowhere

Great company, good atmosphere.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Job security, good work life balance, interesting work, many advancement opportunities.

Cons

Training is lacking for new hires, organization is slow to adapt to changes in the industry