Cargill

www.cargill.com
Employer Engaged

Good place to work, but pay could be better.

Current Employee - Transportation Manager in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Transportation Manager in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great laid back atmosphere. Easy work. Good hours.

Cons

Low pay. They hire stupid people for low pay.

Pay a little more to keep top talent.

Cargill Review

I have been working at Cargill

Pros

Good relocation package, a lot of opportunities for advancement, large networking, good culture

Cons

Financial sector paid less than other sectors, some locations are in the middle of nowhere

Great Opportunities, Bad timing

Current Employee - Associate Analyst in Wayzata, MN
    Current Employee - Associate Analyst in Wayzata, MN

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, great work hours, great co-workers (outside of a few bad apples), lots of opportunities, great experience, learned a lot.

Cons

About who you know,not what you know. Manager's advice to me was "fake it till you make it" which seems counter productive, but they are doing well and I'm going out the door.

Don't let personal relationships sway who should be in charge.

Great company, good atmosphere.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Job security, good work life balance, interesting work, many advancement opportunities.

Cons

Training is lacking for new hires, organization is slow to adapt to changes in the industry

Great company to work for with excellent benefits.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of career advancement opportunities due to continued growth.

Cons

Due to growth and changes, outsourcing jobs is taking precedence and many jobs could be lost over the next several years. Job security is not absolute.

Engage team members to focus time on learning agility outside their normal functions to develop the team member's experience and talents so they may fit in other parts of the company when/if their roles are eliminated.

Great company, great people, stressful work with little work/life balance.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Beautiful offices. Everything you need supplied. Co-workers are great and so are benefits. (See cons about insurance and parking). When I first worked there I was floored. They even supplied products in the break rooms (paper plates, bowls, cups, plasticware). For the ladies they even provide sanitary items free in the restrooms. Cubicles/Desks are roomy with plenty of room to spread out work or collaborate on work projects. Great deals on meat, but you have to buy in bulk so can split with family or co-workers. They have a great health incentive program that rewards you well for taking care of your health, becoming active, having healthy numbers.

Cons

Insurance costs are high and you still have to pay quite a bit out of pocket about $120+ per month for insurance with a high deductible. Pay to park is costly $20-40 per month. Each job is specific and as such there's no standardized training. You have to be trained one on one. Which can be problematic if your trainer isn't a good one. Enjoyed job until they whittled down the number of people to do it. You have many people feeding you work, without all the information needed to complete it. No work life balance really. If you like lots of overtime, this may be the place for you. You can be let go with no notice, even if you've met all requirements of the job, with no reason given. Don't think because you're the only one who knows the job you have any security. My job was the only place to promote unless the supervisor left. Someone who had an exceptional rapport with the supervisor wanted to advance. Suddenly I'm out of a job. Just because the company is ethical, doesn't mean you will get a fair shake if your management decides they'd rather have their buddy in your position. I'm not a sour grapes type of person. I'm just telling it like it is. You have to work in one position for a year or more before you can transfer. When that year is up, promotion focused people will be after your position if it's higher than yours. Went through that with two co-workers. Thankfully one moved to another department. Bad thing is they'll be gone in a year, where I was planning to work at it for a few before attempting to move up out of loyalty to my supervisor and a desire to add some stability to the department. Guess I should have transferred elsewhere. Note to folks who get on there. Use your personal holiday floater before vacation, because when you leave, you do not get paid for it.

Reward loyalty, don't oust a good and skilled employee to provide a favorite with a promotion. Be a little more transparent with information about benefits and usage. Especially as folks are kept so busy they don't have a chance to go to any of the planned events about benefits, health fairs, farmer's markets, meet and greets, etc. The big luncheons are BORING. I know they're supposed to be better, but make it more of an occasion to get to know folks from other departments and what they do, and then give us information about performance. C-Talks are likewise. Most folks who have worked there sometime that I spoke with wouldn't be dragged to either.

Good place to cut your teeth.

Former Employee - Boarding Agent in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Boarding Agent in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company Car and cell, decent benefits, exposure to a variety of situations, laid back corporate structure.

Cons

Toxic office politics, 0 work-life balance, on-call, 80-100 hour work weeks during harvest, salary is nothing without OT, pay is less than most considering the sacrifices made.

Provide realistic career tracks to incoming employees, pay more to attract top talent, OT is billed to customers - not Cargill,

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Global company.
    Good experience gained to leave and find a better job.

Cons

Third party managed services.
    Lack of compassion and respect for IT. IT is just viewed as a commodity.
    Exceptionally poor financial results and hideous bonus'.

Begin putting together a plan to bring IT Infrastucture back in-house. You will need it by 2019 if not earlier.

Project Engineering Intern

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Cargill full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible work/life balance
    Involved in vital economic sectors

Cons

Not a diverse mindset
    Lack of advance technology applications
    Salaries are not as competitive

lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Strategic Sourcing in Blair, NE
    Current Employee - Strategic Sourcing in Blair, NE

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

lots of opportunities to try new things, especially if you are willing to relocate.

Cons

Pay and benefits are average, not enough people to handle the work load, you need to do lots of things but unfortunately there is not usually the time to do them very well.

Slow down, focus, prioritize