Carhartt

Updated Mar 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark Valade

Not many companies like this left

I have been working at Carhartt

ProsI have not seen employee appreciation like this in a very long time. They go over and above with employees. Its a fun place to work.

ConsThe pay is a little tough but they do give raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!!

climb the ladder and get pushed off before you reach the top

I have been working at Carhartt full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat product and a good employee discount

Consbad management lacking respect and recognition

Advice to Senior Managementappreciate experienced employees and provide better communication

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

IS Department is sinking

Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Carhartt full-time for more than 5 years

Prosif you are contractor you have many luxury benefits.

ConsVery poor management in the Information Services department. The executive management should investigate the performances of every manager and recently many have left the company due to lack of proper recognition. I

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease recognize your hard working employees. For Carhartt to continue as a great company, needs solid leaders just like other departments. There are Big flaws in the IS department.

Really good experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Carhartt part-time

ProsFriendly environment, nice people, flexible hours

ConsNothing really, it was really great.

OK work environment but great products

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Dearborn, MI

I worked at Carhartt as a contractor

ProsThe benefits that permanent employees are offered are excellent; the product discounts are great, office spaces are nice; the employees are friendly.
You can be very proud of the products that are sold.

ConsThey do not seem open to new ideas; alot of favoritism. The location is ok, "old boy network" comes to mind....
Surprised to find out that many of the products are no longer being manufactured in the USA

Great People, Great Opportunities

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Carhartt full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat opportunities for advancement, if you're willing to work hard. They have great benefits, and they have an awesome education reimbursement program.

ConsYou'll be looked over for promotions if you're already valuable in your current position.

Nice people but problematic company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Carhartt full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou can wear t-shirts to work. Parking at the 5800 office is good, and there is a ping-pong table. You get your own cube.

ConseCommerce group offers lousy pay - you'll find better pay elsewhere. Further, they outsource a lot of software development so programmers, and developers, be warned, your job is likely to be outsourced. Or at least the easy work - you get to fix all the bugs. They just wont hire enough people. Really understaffed. The goal seems to be to under-staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people.

Shocking Outcome

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Dearborn, MI

I worked at Carhartt as a contractor for less than a year

ProsMost of the employees seemed very pleasant and helpful. Very clean.

ConsWas hired there in August 2012 by Carhartt but told I had to work with them thru a temp agency as a contract employee. I found out why 3 weeks later when I was called at 8pm Friday evening by the agency to let me know they were terminating my contract with absolutely no explaination given. Their management does not like the blood on their hands. I am almost retirement age, but not that slow in learning. I did fine, had no problems that I knew about and they refused to tell me the reason they were letting me go after my first week on the phones, which I did great at. I had to miss 1/2 day for a Dr appt right before, but they knew in advance so either held that against me or are age discriminating. I can't do anything legally due the paperwork you sign to agree to work for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have an issue with any employee, even contract, that you feel is grounds for termination, please let them know in advance if they are weak in something. The fact that I am very professional and have always worked at demanding, exacting jobs my entire life with no previous problems & was not advised of anything being amiss before being terminated for no reason, does not say very much for your judgement. This is 3 weeks of my life training day and night I won't get back, not to mention the insult and shock of being let go from a fairly menial job for no reason.

It is very good company and like there employees

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Carhartt full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood environment and well respected CEO. No pressure when you are working on any release if you need help you will get the help immediately.

ConsThey use a lots of contractor instead of hiring new employee which can limit they're employees for getting work done in an effective way.

Advice to Senior ManagementHiring new member in the team it's good but if the company is policy need to protect their employees from the lay off by using contractors is good but you need to bring the contractor in house to interact with the employees. this the employees will get involve more and they will be more productive.

Awesome place, wouldn't recommend for young professionals

I have been working at Carhartt

ProsThe people- everyone is genuinely kind and cares. There is a synergy unlike anything I've experienced. Everyone is extremely passionate about the company and its growth in recent years and into the future. The future is definitely bright for Carhartt.

ConsIt is an ideal place to work for someone in their 30s or 40s with kids. Very family-centric atmosphere. I feel a bit out of place being in my 20s, at least in my department. I wouldn't recommend for someone just starting their career as there is not a ton of opportunity for growth within. Gets a bit stale after a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management doesn't interact enough with people lower on the totem pole. Offer more direct feedback to everyone in the department.

Worked for Carhartt? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Carhartt reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Carhartt CEO Mark Valade. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Carhartt employees.