Caribou Coffee Reviews in Minnesota

Updated July 28, 2014

3.2

Caribou Coffee President and CEO Mike Tattersfield
Mike Tattersfield

Pros
  • Discount and free half pound coffee every week (in 14 reviews)

• Free 1/2 pound of beans per week (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management lack of communication and really poor distribution of product (in 24 reviews)

• Also, she favors shift supervisors over team members which makes us feel belittled and unimportant (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

76 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good pt job

Current Employee - Team Member  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Team Member in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible Hours
    Great manager
    Available benefits
    Getting time off is doable

Cons

Entry level job pay
    If you get sick you better have a dr. note
    High paced
    Some customers can be hard to deal with

Pay a bit better

AMAZING!

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very laid back environment, the managers were pretty great to work with.

Cons

The pay was pretty low but made up with tip.

Terrible, torture like.

Former Employee - Team Member  in  Shakopee, MN
    Former Employee - Team Member in Shakopee, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free shift drink. free 1/2 pound of beans each week.

Cons

If you work in drive Thru you are forced to sit in your "box" for hours with the sunrise beaming on you and you cannot step out of your box even for a second if you are burning hot. You get yelled at if you don't talk to people in the drive thru even if they are talking on their phone or busy doing something else. You get in trouble if you forgot to tell someone about their ridiculously expensive bean that no one wants to buy because managers only care about how many points they get so THEY can get a bonus...no one else. There is no place to put your lunch if it needs to be refridgerated so there's a better chance you will buy caribous food because you hardly get a break to go somewhere else to eat. Sometimes if you start at 6 or 7 am you get your lunch break at early as 9 (who wants to eat lunch at 9???) and nothing else until your shift ends at 2 or 3. TERRIBLE PLACE TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think about your employees, and not yourself sometimes.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Environment and great teams but employees are not valued by corporate

Former Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor  in  Roseville, MN
    Former Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor in Roseville, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible hours (great as a college job) and each team becomes a family (within each store). Yearly raise based on performance.

Cons

stores are put up to competing against one another multiple times a year. There is no paid time off and no sick days. If you are sick and cannot get your shift covered you have to go in or you risk losing your job. If you show up late even once you are written up. Even after the five years i worked here with becoming a supervisor my pay only went up a $1.50 (in five years with a promotion). Corporate could care less about the store employees.

Listen to your teams! They are the ones who are in the stores and know what works and what doesn't. Pay your team members and shift supervisors better; it will fix the high turn around that you have in many stores. make accommodations for someone who is truly too sick to come to work. You do not want to be known as a company who allows someone who is vomiting every five minutes to make people's coffee.

I met great people, nice community. Fun place to work at for a part time job.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Saint Louis Park, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Saint Louis Park, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee part-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing atmosphere, meeting many nice people. Gateway into communities. Also relatively simple job responsibilities. Lots of free coffee and discounts at any caribou location

Cons

I worked at a caribou with a drive thru which can get very hectic at times. You have to be careful not to burn yourself on coffee (I have seen many 2nd degree burns)

Some managers have no people skills whatsoever. No idea how they got into the company, they run great numbers but lose employees who will talk negatively about an another wise great company

Awesome place to work for...

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Sauk Rapids, MN
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Sauk Rapids, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to know the regulars and their drinks, like a morning/day time bar. It's fast paced and keeps you busy.

Cons

I didn't really have a negative experience working at caribou other than the one I worked at wasn't able to hire people who would stay very long - primarily cause they were all in highschool.

You are doing an awesome job... I'm excited about the perks card.

Amazing!

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Company to work for! Job advancement opportunities, using your strengths effectively day-to-day, and loving your job!

Cons

More competitive compensation for employees working in the field i.e TMs, SSs, ASMs, SMs, etc.

Keep on shining!

If you want a job that sucks the soul out of you, look no farther!

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Spring Lake Park, MN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Spring Lake Park, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only good things about working here are the tips, employee discount, and free drinks.

Cons

You're expected to work 9+ hours without a break. Hopefully it's different for other managers, but MY manager consistently fails to look at her employees availability, so all of my coworkers are scheduled at least one shift they can't work per week. Also, she favors shift supervisors over team members which makes us feel belittled and unimportant. Hopefully it's just my manager that doesn't know how to do her job, but this is what my experience at Caribou Coffee has been like.

You should add in the training videos something about being slave drivers.

Fun Atmosphere, Extremely High Expectations for Pay

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Oakdale, MN
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Oakdale, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee part-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-Workers, Fun Prepping Drinks, Opportunity to Work in Different Stores

Cons

Shifts with no breaks, Expectations ridiculous for pay scale

Quit treating people like you are "better" than them - most of the employees have second jobs, go to great colleges and work really hard.....some day you might work for THEM.

There are many better places to work

Current Employee - Barista  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Barista in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee part-time for more than a year

Pros

Caribou employees are wonderful hardworking people who give far more to this company than they get back. Students, moms and recent grads make my store a great place to work but the company doesn't provide the same thing.

Cons

Poor pay, no vacation pay, no sick time, no raise after over a year nor even a review related to a raise, no breaks. I do mean NO BREAKS. Many at my store are scheduled 8 hours or more and are not offered even a ten minute window to sit down.

McDonalds, Wal-Mart, Starbucks, Target, Taco Bell, Goodwill, Menards, the list goes on, all offer ten minute breaks for four hour shifts and protected lunches for eight hour shifts. These companies don't tell their employees they need to ask for a break and that it "might be allowed if scheduling and business permit". Caribou, stop presenting yourself as an ethical and concerned corporation while asking your front line employees to be on their feet for eight hours.

Worked for Caribou Coffee? Contribute to the Community!